Mailing List Archive

Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW
Hi,

Recently I upgrade the wiki from 1.5.8 to 1.11.1, and after that, my
logo does not appear at the left side in all pages.

I made some alterations and the problem continues.

help me, please.

Alexandre

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
You say not all pages. Does that mean it does appear on some pages? If so,
try clearing your browsers cache...

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Hi,
It´s has already done. I clearing the cache in mysql table too. Nothing
working. :(

Alexandre.

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Did you double check to make sure the logo is still in /skins/common/images?
Also, make sure LocalSetting.php has the correct logo file name in $wgLogo,
like this... $wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/YOURLOGO.png";

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
The problem continues...

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I resolved the problem replacing the original wiki logo for my logo.

Alexandre

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Try using the full IP-path to your image
e.g.
$wgLogo = 'http://[Your IP-Number]/_fhbwiki/fhbwiki2.jpg';

That was the only way I could make the logos work for me.
I'm using mediaWiki 1.10.0 and with the path mentioned below, the logo only
appeared in the edit-pages, the login-pages and maybe some others, but I'm not
sure which.

Greetings
Kate

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
It was exactly what happens with me. Maybe a Media Wiki bug??

Alexandre.

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
I think it's just because $wgStylePath is defined to "false" in DefaultSettings.php and therefore you just have to put $wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/skins"; in LocalSettings.php (just as it use to be in earlier version like 1.5) ;-)

Hence add either :

$wgLogo = "$wgScriptPath/skins/common/images/YOURLOGO.png";

or

$wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/skins";
$wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/YOURLOGO.png";

in LocalSettings.php (after require_once( "includes/DefaultSettings.php" ); of course) (tested locally, didn't work with $wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/YOURLOGO.png"; only, but with solutions above it works)

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Thanks Alexis,

now the logo-path works in my wiki as it should. :-)
Seems like you have to use the combination of setting $wgStylePath to
$wgScriptPath/skins and then setting $wgLogo to
$wgStylePath/common/images/YOURLOGO.png

I think I tried almost everything else - putting the image into different
locations and then using either relative or absolut paths, but nothing worked.
I must have had something wrong in my paths...

Alexis Moinet schrieb:
> I think it's just because $wgStylePath is defined to "false" in DefaultSettings.php and therefore you just have to put $wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/skins"; in LocalSettings.php (just as it use to be in earlier version like 1.5) ;-)
>
> Hence add either :
>
> $wgLogo = "$wgScriptPath/skins/common/images/YOURLOGO.png";
>
> or
>
> $wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/skins";
> $wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/YOURLOGO.png";
>
> in LocalSettings.php (after require_once( "includes/DefaultSettings.php" ); of course) (tested locally, didn't work with $wgLogo = "$wgStylePath/common/images/YOURLOGO.png"; only, but with solutions above it works)
>

> Alexandre Pedroto wrote :
>> It was exactly what happens with me. Maybe a Media Wiki bug??
>>
>> Alexandre.
>>
>> Katharina Wolkwitz escreveu:
>>> Try using the full IP-path to your image
>>> e.g.
>>> $wgLogo = 'http://[Your IP-Number]/_fhbwiki/fhbwiki2.jpg';

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Katharina Wolkwitz

Fachhochschule Südwestfalen
Hochschulbibliothek
Haldener Straße 182
58095 Hagen
Tel.: 02331/987-2706

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Hi again,

I think I've found the reason, why it wouldn't work for me before.
It seems that mediawiki uses a different definition of relative or absolut paths
than I knew.

For example in my installation $wgScriptPath is set to "/_fhbwiki".
Afaik normally (in html, shellscripts or programming-languages) that's an
absolut path and points to a directory or file directly beneath the root-node of
a linux-system. It seems that here this path points to a directory beneath the
document-root of the same linux-system (whereever that may be).

If one sets the path for $wgLogo like this
$wgLogo = "/_fhbwiki/skins/common/images/fhbwiki2.jpg";
it works, but
$wgLogo = "/opt/lampp/htdocs/_fhbwiki/skins/common/images/fhbwiki2.jpg";
doesn't.

In http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgScriptPath the value for
§wgScriptPath is defined as a relative path but the example shows /wiki, which
to me was an absolut path (until now).

Is this something unique to mediawiki or is it a "feature" of PHP?

Greetings
Kate

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
On 05/10/2007, Katharina Wolkwitz <wolkwitz@fh-swf.de> wrote:
> Is this something unique to mediawiki or is it a "feature" of PHP?

All "path" variables are paths, that is, web-facing paths; all
"directory" variables are filesystem paths. For example, $wgUploadPath
vs. $wgUploadDirectory. The exception to this rule is $IP, which is a
filesystem path.

This *should* be documented in LocalSettings.php or
includes/DefaultSettings.php.

Rob Church

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Katharina Wolkwitz a écrit :
> Hi again,
>
> I think I've found the reason, why it wouldn't work for me before.
> It seems that mediawiki uses a different definition of relative or absolut paths
> than I knew.
>
> For example in my installation $wgScriptPath is set to "/_fhbwiki".
> Afaik normally (in html, shellscripts or programming-languages) that's an
> absolut path and points to a directory or file directly beneath the root-node of
> a linux-system. It seems that here this path points to a directory beneath the
> document-root of the same linux-system (whereever that may be).
>
> If one sets the path for $wgLogo like this
> $wgLogo = "/_fhbwiki/skins/common/images/fhbwiki2.jpg";
> it works, but
> $wgLogo = "/opt/lampp/htdocs/_fhbwiki/skins/common/images/fhbwiki2.jpg";
> doesn't.
>
> In http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:%24wgScriptPath the value for
> §wgScriptPath is defined as a relative path but the example shows /wiki, which
> to me was an absolut path (until now).
>
> Is this something unique to mediawiki or is it a "feature" of PHP?
>
> Greetings
> Kate

/wiki is an absolute *server* path (i.e. *from the point of view of your web host*), it's like the "/" refers to the root of your domain (i.e. the http://www.domain.org), not to the root of the physical thing you also call a server (like in /home, /boot,
/usr,...).

/wiki can be seen as a sort of relative path from the point of view of your web directory (/opt/lampp/htdocs/) on the physical computer.

For instance if you consider the html tag "img", you can use src="http://yourdomain/wiki/image.png" or src="/wiki/image.png" which are absolute *server* path but (normally) you shouldn't be allowed to use src="/var/www/wiki/image.png" which is absolute
*computer* path

you can also use src="./image.png" or src="../../anotherfolder/image2.png" which are relative *server* path (--> again, relative to the location of the current page *from the host point of view*, not from the physical point of view)

I hope I haven't been too "unclear" nor incorrect.

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Rob Church wrote :
> All "path" variables are paths, that is, web-facing paths; all
> "directory" variables are filesystem paths.

"filesystem paths" and "web-facing paths", these were the ideas my uncomplete knowledge of English was trying to express (in my other mail) with confusing words like "computer paths" and "server paths"

thanks Rob ;-)

Re: Problems with Logo after upgrade of MW [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob,

thanks for explaining this. :-)

Rob Church schrieb:
> On 05/10/2007, Katharina Wolkwitz <wolkwitz@fh-swf.de> wrote:
>> Is this something unique to mediawiki or is it a "feature" of PHP?
>
> All "path" variables are paths, that is, web-facing paths; all
> "directory" variables are filesystem paths. For example, $wgUploadPath
> vs. $wgUploadDirectory. The exception to this rule is $IP, which is a
> filesystem path.
>
> This *should* be documented in LocalSettings.php or
> includes/DefaultSettings.php.
I guess one could find it, if one knew that there are different kinds of
absolute paths... ;-)

Thanks
Kate