Mailing List Archive

Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT)
Dear all,

June has been a difficult month for me. Lot's to do :-) Too much actually.

Amongst the several travels I did, I participated to a working session
organised by Unesco, in Germany. This session was attended by about 25
people, many from open universities, but also with a Microsoft and an
Intel representant, or someone from the Human Genome Project (in public
domain).

A first draft of the Declaration was sent to me a few days ago, on which
I just send my comments.

You may find below the Declaration I received. Note that it is a draft
and will probably undergo many many more changes before being somehow
included in a final official statement. Still, I believe it stands as a
relevant document, and even though it does not contain all what we wish
to see, it certainly recognises a great deal of the things which are so
important to us, as wikimedians.

I was very proud to participate to the session, where I met an amazing
set of highly culturally diverse and interesting people. This said, I
still wonder over this "high level group etc...". Seems boasting to me.
But maybe is that a cultural requirement...

Anyway. Being on the board is sometimes about doing pretty boring
things. But I'd say this is one of the events making the boring things
worth it ;-)

Incidently, it also gave me the opportunity to have a beer with Arne, at
the top of a big german castle (I was hosted in the highest room of the
castle).

UNESCO High Level Group
on Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing
Kronberg Germany
June 2007

Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing

We, the members of a high level group of experts met on the 22nd and
23rd of June 2007 in Kronberg, Germany under the auspices of UNESCO and
the German Commission for UNESCO, with the generous sponsorship of BASF
to discuss the future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing within a
perspective of 25 years:

Recognizing that:
Knowledge is the key to social and economic development;

Acquisition and sharing of knowledge have been going through dramatic
changes because of rapidly emerging new information and communication
technologies (ICT) and the societal transformations that they generate
and that new approaches are needed to narrow international knowledge
gaps while ensuring cultural and linguistic diversity;

The Internet provides numerous opportunities for young people;
There is a need to continuously harness new technologies and processes
to develop knowledge societies that are people-centred, inclusive and
development oriented;
The continued value of many findings included in the report of the
International Commission on Education for the Twenty-first Century
“Learning: The Treasure Within” (1996);

Referring in particular to the observation contained in the Report that
“the progress of the new information and communication technologies
should give rise to a general deliberation on access to knowledge in the
world of tomorrow”, which has continued to nourish international debate
not the least by the recent meetings of the World Summit on the
Information Society (WSIS);

Having identified the major strategic areas, which should be addressed
to shape the political and structural changes that are needed to improve
knowledge acquisition and sharing including:
* The impact of technology on the evolution of knowledge societies;
* The concept of universal "knowledge norms”;
* The impact of emerging technology on models of learning;
* The future role of classical educational structures including those of
teachers;
* The role of private sector in knowledge acquisition and sharing;

Anticipating that in the next twenty-five years:

* Knowledge acquisition and sharing, which will increasingly take place
online, will trigger a profound revolution of traditional educational
processes;
* Leaders in public and private sectors must embrace change in
organizations and people by providing incentives to create motivation
and to overcome systemic barriers in knowledge acquisition and sharing;
* Learning institutions will have to focus much more on the learner’s
social and emotional skills and to come to a wider, value-based concept
of education;
* The importance of acquisition of factual knowledge will decrease
whereas the ability to find one’s way in complex systems and to find,
judge and creatively use relevant information will become crucially
important;
* The importance of the role of teachers as instructors will decrease
while their role as facilitators for learners, role models and
validators/interpreters of knowledge will increase;
* Learners will play an ever more active role in learning, including the
creation of content;
* A mix of social spaces including (a) traditional schools for providing
core values and social competencies and (b) learning communities of
practices to address more specific challenges will remain important.
Classroom-like structures will remain vital as socializing environments
in early childhood and in primary and secondary education; and ICT
enabled learning will become more relevant in post-secondary and higher
education settings;
* The private sector will play an increasingly important role as an
accelerator of technology development in the area of knowledge
acquisition and sharing and as a partner in standard setting for content
creation, packaging, dissemination and utilization tools;
* Knowledge acquisition and sharing will be increasingly tailor-made,
including the liberalization of certification processes taking
individual needs into consideration by applying ICTs;
Open access to and free flow of content will be of crucial importance
for equitable knowledge acquisition and sharing.

Stress the need to:
a)
b)
c)Develop long-term strategies to efficiently harness the enormous
potential of new communication and information processes and
technologies for developing new approaches to knowledge acquisition and
sharing;
d)Integrate these strategies into forward looking and sustainable
policymaking;
e)Involve the private sector and user communities from various age
groups and cultural backgrounds in the development of these strategies;
f)Establish efficient public-private partnerships to provide sustained,
long-term real solutions for ICT application in knowledge acquisition
and sharing;
g)Provide opportunity to all people to participate in networked social
learning, which is locally relevant and which values tacit knowledge and
enhances informal learning;
h)Increasingly use ICT to make knowledge acquisition and sharing
available to anybody, not just for the privileged;
i)
j)
k)Develop culturally sensitive content;
l)Develop flexible knowledge norms (e.g. dynamic knowledge/skills profile);
m)Preserve mother-tongue languages while encouraging competencies in one
or more global languages;
n)
o)Develop creative business models to support the sustained creation and
dissemination of high quality content;
p)Adapt educational assessment to the requirements of a globalized
world, taking into account migration and brain-drain issues;
q)
r)Redefine mechanisms and goals of assessment, including the four
pillars of learning “learning to know, learning to do, learning to live
together and learning to be“;
s)Support open access to and free flow of content by the development of
open standards, open data structures, and standardized info-structures;
t)Ensure Long-term and sustained availability of digital content and
interoperability of e-education systems on the global level as crucial
elements of knowledge acquisition and sharing;

Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
WOW!

That is an awesome document from UNESCO. Quite palpably a historic
one even.

Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard wrote:

>You may find below the Declaration I received. Note that it is a draft
>and will probably undergo many many more changes before being somehow
>included in a final official statement. Still, I believe it stands as a
>relevant document, and even though it does not contain all what we wish
>to see, it certainly recognises a great deal of the things which are so
>important to us, as wikimedians.

It's a very interesting document that at least shows that some people
are paying attention to some of the issues that will be of serious
concern over the next number of years.

One question that it apparently fails to address is the relationship
between these developments and intellectual property law.

Ec

Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>
>> You may find below the Declaration I received. Note that it is a draft
>> and will probably undergo many many more changes before being somehow
>> included in a final official statement. Still, I believe it stands as a
>> relevant document, and even though it does not contain all what we wish
>> to see, it certainly recognises a great deal of the things which are so
>> important to us, as wikimedians.
>>
> It's a very interesting document that at least shows that some people
> are paying attention to some of the issues that will be of serious
> concern over the next number of years.
>
> One question that it apparently fails to address is the relationship
> between these developments and intellectual property law.
>
> Ec

Exact.
This was also discussed during the session. I believe most participants
did not really understand what a free license was. Many participants
were part of the private sector, and largely content producers.
Protecting the content they had produced was a significant part of their
concern.

I think that given the nature of participants, the end results definitly
show an interest and understanding of our concerns.

Also, see
http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=17589&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

One point that I regretted not to see in the outcome (I mentionned it)
is the fact most participants considered the nature of the teacher
should also change and in particular that we should move away from a
situation where many teachers are hired to teach at 20 years old, for
the rest of their life, without any "real life" experience. This is in
large part why our universities in France at least, are stuck in
educating students to become researchers or teachers, much more than
they are educating students to become managers, accountants, salesmen,
developers, or architects. I would hope that in the future, more
fluidity is possible and a focus be put on hiring teachers who have had
professional experience in more than just teaching...

A point which was mentionned in the first draft, but now appears pretty
much hidden under poorly defined terms, is the possibility to
standardize curriculum vitae - so that hiring an Executive Director in
France recover the same time of requirements and experience than in the
USA - currently, many titles do not recover from one nation to another,
making it doubly difficult for people to be hired in other countries.
This will naturally also need a sort of standardization of diplomas, so
that again, citizens can be hired more easily for the same job in
another country.
But also... maintaining a curriculum vitae which would not be written
only by the person itself, but also by others. Right now, when we hire
someone, it is frequent to ask contact of previous co-workers, so that
we can collect information about the person, from another point of view.
Why not set up a sort of wiki-curriculum vitae, where the resume is not
only written by the person, but by the co-workers, who can leave their
comments. This is also the type of service one can find in social network.

Ant

Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
This is not entirely foundation-specific, but:

On 7/3/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A point which was mentionned in the first draft, but now appears pretty
> much hidden under poorly defined terms, is the possibility to
> standardize curriculum vitae -

Heh. Good luck with that. It's not currently well standardized in
any normal work field I know of. It's a major challenge in screening
and interviewing...

> so that hiring an Executive Director in
> France recover the same time of requirements and experience than in the
> USA - currently, many titles do not recover from one nation to another,
> making it doubly difficult for people to be hired in other countries.
> This will naturally also need a sort of standardization of diplomas, so
> that again, citizens can be hired more easily for the same job in
> another country.
> But also... maintaining a curriculum vitae which would not be written
> only by the person itself, but also by others. Right now, when we hire
> someone, it is frequent to ask contact of previous co-workers, so that
> we can collect information about the person, from another point of view.
> Why not set up a sort of wiki-curriculum vitae, where the resume is not
> only written by the person, but by the co-workers, who can leave their
> comments. This is also the type of service one can find in social network.

This gets into the areas where, in the US, employers are cautioned by
their HR and legal staff not to tread. Companies and managers have
been successfully sued for putting negative comments out to potential
employers...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>

>>Florence Devouard wrote:
>>

>>>You may find below the Declaration I received. Note that it is a draft
>>>and will probably undergo many many more changes before being somehow
>>>included in a final official statement. Still, I believe it stands as a
>>>relevant document, and even though it does not contain all what we wish
>>>to see, it certainly recognises a great deal of the things which are so
>>>important to us, as wikimedians.
>>>

>>It's a very interesting document that at least shows that some people
>>are paying attention to some of the issues that will be of serious
>>concern over the next number of years.
>>
>>One question that it apparently fails to address is the relationship
>>between these developments and intellectual property law.
>>

>Exact.
>This was also discussed during the session. I believe most participants
>did not really understand what a free license was. Many participants
>were part of the private sector, and largely content producers.
>Protecting the content they had produced was a significant part of their
>concern.

They are in a difficult position, and taking a defensive approach as the
music and movie industries have done does not help their case. People
find ways around them. The Wikipedia experience has show that people
can be their own content providers. That model still has some serious
flaws, but it and a number of other participatory sites show a trend
toward rejecting mass produced ideas. The harder the producers work to
protect their investments, the less people will want them.

I think that many of the content producers are starting to recognize the
desperation in their position. Even if the big players are given their
way over net equality, it's not going to create a bigger demand for
their product. It's in the nature of real paradigm shifts that many who
did very well under the old system are no longer able to function. They
can protect their products from legal abuse, but it may be difficult to
protect it from people not wanting to use it at all. We know what is
happening to Britannica.

When I try to imagine the economic models that will apply in what we are
trying to build the picture becomes very murky.

>I think that given the nature of participants, the end results definitly
>show an interest and understanding of our concerns.
>
>Also, see
>http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=17589&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

I liked the reference to Wengers ideas

>One point that I regretted not to see in the outcome (I mentionned it)
>is the fact most participants considered the nature of the teacher
>should also change and in particular that we should move away from a
>situation where many teachers are hired to teach at 20 years old, for
>the rest of their life, without any "real life" experience. This is in
>large part why our universities in France at least, are stuck in
>educating students to become researchers or teachers, much more than
>they are educating students to become managers, accountants, salesmen,
>developers, or architects. I would hope that in the future, more
>fluidity is possible and a focus be put on hiring teachers who have had
>professional experience in more than just teaching...

To an extent I agree. How do we provide them with that life
experience? Here students do not enter into an education certificate
programme until they have completed a bachelor's degree in something
else. Many people end up with honours degrees in literature; then it
dawns upon them that there isn't much demand for that particular skill.
Becoming a teacher becomes a product of restricted choice. The people
with literature degrees (disproportionately female) end up teaching in
elementary schools, where they are incapable of promoting any enthusiasm
for science. After all, many of them studied literature because they
couldn't handle science in the first place.

We also have the problem of overcredentialisation. The time that a
future teacher could be spending getting professional experience is
spent taking useless courses, and getting into massive debt over student
loans.

>A point which was mentionned in the first draft, but now appears pretty
>much hidden under poorly defined terms, is the possibility to
>standardize curriculum vitae - so that hiring an Executive Director in
>France recover the same time of requirements and experience than in the
>USA - currently, many titles do not recover from one nation to another,
>making it doubly difficult for people to be hired in other countries.
>This will naturally also need a sort of standardization of diplomas, so
>that again, citizens can be hired more easily for the same job in
>another country.

There will always be support for this as an ideal, and none for it as a
practical application. By putting up barriers countries (or in Canada
provinces as well) are able to maintain control of the supply of such
people. Maintaining an artificially low supply of some specific kind of
worker helps to protect higher wages for those who are already in the
system. Competition would lower the price of labour. Look at what's
happening in the United States over migrant Maxican workers. We're not
talking about professionals here, but the market forces remain similar.

>But also... maintaining a curriculum vitae which would not be written
>only by the person itself, but also by others. Right now, when we hire
>someone, it is frequent to ask contact of previous co-workers, so that
>we can collect information about the person, from another point of view.
>Why not set up a sort of wiki-curriculum vitae, where the resume is not
>only written by the person, but by the co-workers, who can leave their
>comments. This is also the type of service one can find in social network.

I don't know if we're ready for that. It gets into privacy issues that
have not been fully worked out.

Ec

Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
On 0, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> scribbled:
> Florence Devouard wrote:
>
> >Ray Saintonge wrote:

> >>It's a very interesting document that at least shows that some people
> >>are paying attention to some of the issues that will be of serious
> >>concern over the next number of years.
> >>
> >>One question that it apparently fails to address is the relationship
> >>between these developments and intellectual property law.
> >>

> >Exact.
> >This was also discussed during the session. I believe most participants
> >did not really understand what a free license was. Many participants
> >were part of the private sector, and largely content producers.
> >Protecting the content they had produced was a significant part of their
> >concern.
> >
> They are in a difficult position, and taking a defensive approach as the
> music and movie industries have done does not help their case. People
> find ways around them. The Wikipedia experience has show that people
> can be their own content providers. That model still has some serious
> flaws, but it and a number of other participatory sites show a trend
> toward rejecting mass produced ideas. The harder the producers work to
> protect their investments, the less people will want them.
>
> I think that many of the content producers are starting to recognize the
> desperation in their position. Even if the big players are given their
> way over net equality, it's not going to create a bigger demand for
> their product. It's in the nature of real paradigm shifts that many who
> did very well under the old system are no longer able to function. They
> can protect their products from legal abuse, but it may be difficult to
> protect it from people not wanting to use it at all. We know what is
> happening to Britannica.
>
> When I try to imagine the economic models that will apply in what we are
> trying to build the picture becomes very murky.

Have to agree with Ray here. While the statement is good in some respects, it's implicitly working in the old economic world with the accompany justifying moral narrative of 'helping artists get fair renumeration/allowing them to exercise their God-given rights/avoid having their work stolen' - omitting changes in marginal costs of distribution and all that jazz (or at least insisting they are purely unconnected brute economic shifts).

--
gwern
Crust e95 DDR&E 3M KEDO iButton R1 erco Toffler FAS RHL K3 Visa/BCC SNT Ceridian
Re: Kronberg Declaration on the Future of Knowledge Acquisition and Sharing (DRAFT) [ In reply to ]
On 04/07/07, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Why not set up a sort of wiki-curriculum vitae, where the resume is not
> > only written by the person, but by the co-workers, who can leave their
> > comments. This is also the type of service one can find in social network.
>
> This gets into the areas where, in the US, employers are cautioned by
> their HR and legal staff not to tread. Companies and managers have
> been successfully sued for putting negative comments out to potential
> employers...

"I can confirm that Smith worked here from 1979 to 1983. Yours etc."
is not negative per se, but gets the message across. :-)

[I do see your point, though]

--
- Andrew Gray
andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk