Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help
Hey all,

(reposting due to filter rejection)

Fundraising are looking for ideas and suggestions for our writing team to
explore for our messaging in this years fundraiser. I only need a minute of
your time to answer the following question:

--- What’s your favorite thing about Wikipedia that you wish our readers
and donors knew? ---

We'll use the responses to generate new test ideas

Post your answers on list or directly to me :) Thanks in advance

--
Seddon

*Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
*Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
The knowledge of the world available to everybody - and you can be part
of it.

You can donate, read, write, share, promote - all contribution is welcome.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
Bonjour et merci du message

J'aimerais vivement que les pays du sud ont plus de moyens financiers pour
réaliser des projets concrètement.

Le financement des concours baisse, mais la couverture des objectifs de ces
concours reste quasiment incomplet en Afrique.

Exemple Wiki Loves Monuments, en Guinée 99% des sites sont ni illustré sur
Wikipédia en articles, ni en image sur commons mais qu'on supprime le
financement pour les longues voyages diminuer nos forces d'améliorer
qualitativement les articles Wikipédia vue qu'on a moins de bénévoles
encore.

Vivement une relativisation des ressources en fonction de l'avancée des
projets et plus de douceur dans l'obtention des subventions.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
On the great things:
- There are so many forms of volunteer contribution, you don't need to be
an expert to be able to contribute to English Wikipedia (how can I
contribute, everything is there already). You can fight vandalism, you can
take pictures, you can write code, you can help other languages.
- In less developed countries, in depth-reading of Wikipedia is more
prevalent, the likely explanation is that in lack of resources we take for
granted in Europe/US, people turn to Wikipedia to learn and develop

This is not great fact but it's sorta funny how extensively we cover
everything. Last week I learned Wikipedia even has list of people who died
on the toilet:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_died_on_the_toilet

HTH

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 11:25 PM Aboubacar Keïta <aboubacarkt14@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Bonjour et merci du message
>
> J'aimerais vivement que les pays du sud ont plus de moyens financiers pour
> réaliser des projets concrètement.
>
> Le financement des concours baisse, mais la couverture des objectifs de ces
> concours reste quasiment incomplet en Afrique.
>
> Exemple Wiki Loves Monuments, en Guinée 99% des sites sont ni illustré sur
> Wikipédia en articles, ni en image sur commons mais qu'on supprime le
> financement pour les longues voyages diminuer nos forces d'améliorer
> qualitativement les articles Wikipédia vue qu'on a moins de bénévoles
> encore.
>
> Vivement une relativisation des ressources en fonction de l'avancée des
> projets et plus de douceur dans l'obtention des subventions.
>
> Le mer. 27 nov. 2019 à 22:08, Joseph Seddon <jseddon@wikimedia.org> a
> écrit :
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > (reposting due to filter rejection)
> >

> > Fundraising are looking for ideas and suggestions for our writing team to
> > explore for our messaging in this years fundraiser. I only need a minute
> of
> > your time to answer the following question:
> >

> > --- What’s your favorite thing about Wikipedia that you wish our readers
> > and donors knew? ---
> >

> > We'll use the responses to generate new test ideas
> >
> > Post your answers on list or directly to me :) Thanks in advance
> >
> > --
> > Seddon
> >
> > *Community and Audience Engagement Associate*
> > *Advancement (Fundraising), Wikimedia Foundation*

Amir (he/him)
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
Sorry two more things:
- We don't collect user's data like a monster, we never sell them to
anyone, we even avoid outsourcing our infra (like CDNs) to protect our
users' privacy. Something that is none of top websites do. None.
- Related to the reason above, CO2 emission of our datacenters is very
small and non-existent comparing to website with similar traffic.

Best

--
Amir (he/him)
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
?

> On Nov 27, 2019, at 4:08 PM, Joseph Seddon <jseddon@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
> --- What’s your favorite thing about Wikipedia that you wish our readers
> and donors knew? ---

That Jimmy Wales and WMF sold the rights to the Wikipedia trademark to Apple for $40k back in the early 2000s, and that Apple has the right to use it forever and the agreement cannot be cancelled without legal cause.

This is why Wikipedia is embedded in every iOS search result.

That Apple and Google make billions and billions of dollars off of Wikipedia content annually and that WMF refuses to charge them for their exclusive use and access.

Which means that the $70mil or so in donations from Wikipedia users is really a scam because WMF lacks the courage to stand up to those corporations and charge them $1billion each per year to guarantee Wikipedia’s success.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
Just yesterday a donor (who is also a colleague) was very happy to learn
that her donation was used to cover expenses for people she knew (in that
case: me).
I believe the people behind the project is something we should put forward
more.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Fundraising needs your help [ In reply to ]
As is my custom, I have answered the call for fundraising message; this
time with 14 alternatives to the $3 cup of coffee:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising%2F2019-20_Fundraising_ideas#Story_suggestion_3

I am confident this approach will leave all future fundraisers in the dust.
I hope there is time to try my other suggestions too.

Best regards,
Jim