Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Vision and strategy papers for Wikidata and Wikibase are published
Dear all,

More than 7 years ago we started the development of Wikidata. We started
out with the main goal of building a central data store for Wikipedia.
Very quickly we expanded to also covering the other Wikimedia projects.
Then came the interest from people outside Wikimedia to use Wikidata’s
data to build their own apps, websites, visualisations and more. And
last year we witnessed a significant interest in Wikibase, the software
behind Wikidata.

This means our structured data work has expanded very significantly from
what we started out with. At the same time, over these past few years,
both WMDE [1] and the WMF [2] have spent significant time and invested
in supporting the movement strategy work and aligning our organizational
plans with the movement strategy.

Given all this interest, and this moment of opportunity and positive
change, we felt it was time to sit together and get clarity on the next
steps for our structured data work. It is important that we know what we
want to achieve in the next few years, what our long-term hopes are for
Wikidata and Wikibase, how these align with organisational and movement
strategy, and what support and resources are required for their success.

The result of these conversations include one product vision paper and
three product strategy papers that we are publishing today:

*

Vision: This paper gives a high-level overview of where we’d like to
see Wikidata and Wikibase evolve and grow, based on the work of the
past 7 years and many conversations with community members, movement
partners, and other stakeholders.

*

Wikidata for Wikimedia projects: This paper dives deeper into how we
see Wikidata developing in the context of the Wikimedia projects and
how it can better support the projects.

*

Wikidata as a platform: This paper explores the value of Wikidata as
a source of data for others outside Wikimedia to build upon.

*

Wikibase Ecosystem: This paper goes deeper into the idea of the
Wikibase Ecosystem, a network of Wikibase instances which could
share data and other capacities.

We are now inviting you to read the vision and strategy papers and give
us your feedback. We are collecting this feedback until the end of
October and will then integrate it as appropriate into a second
iteration of the papers.

The papers are published at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Strategy/2019. Please leave
your feedback and questions on the associated talk page.

We are looking forward to reading your input.

Since this is my first mail to this list, a short introduction about
myself: I joined Wikimedia Deutschland 2 years ago as the Head of
Software & Development. I have been working with the Product, UX,
Engineering and Community Communication people in my department to move
this amazing project forward.

Regards

Franziska

Head of Software & Development, Wikimedia Deutschland

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Planning_2019/enand
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Deutschland/Zukunftsprozess/EN

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Vision and strategy papers for Wikidata and Wikibase are published [ In reply to ]
Dear Franziska!

Welcome to the list! And thanks a lot for your contributions to Wikimedia
and for the documents you have shared. I will read them with vivid interest!

I am not sure if this is considered --and sorry if it is!-- but it'd be
wonderful to have in-depth discussions on the vision and strategy papers
during WikidataCon.

Cheers!

João

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Vision and strategy papers for Wikidata and Wikibase are published [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 2:06 PM João Alexandre Peschanski
<joalpe@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Franziska!
>
> Welcome to the list! And thanks a lot for your contributions to Wikimedia
> and for the documents you have shared. I will read them with vivid interest!
>
> I am not sure if this is considered --and sorry if it is!-- but it'd be
> wonderful to have in-depth discussions on the vision and strategy papers
> during WikidataCon.

Hey João :)

Yes we will have opportunity to talk about them at WikidataCon. We're
still working out the best way.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207.