requiring approval beyond community consensus for every derivative used
in a Wikimedia project would be a horrible bureaucracy creep.

Can I assume, when creating license templates to logo derivatives in the
Hungarian Wikipedia (which is my reason for asking this), that the final
policy will be something sensible, like permission to create
derivatives, provided they are only used in the Wikimedia projects, and
their copyright is transferred to the Foundation?

Tgr
Re: Derivatives of the official logos [ In reply to ]
2006/8/22, Tisza Gergõ <tgergo@inf.elte.hu>:
> Hi,
>
> what is the policy about the derivatives of the official Wikimedia
> project logos? Their license template, [[commons:Template:Copyright by
> Wikimedia]] does not make much sense: it refers to [[Wikimedia:Wikimedia
> visual identity guidelines]], which is about the Foundation logo, not
> the project logos. [[m:Uses of logo derivatives]], which is not finished
> yet, says "We can, theoretically, allow derivative works of the logos
> for informal uses, but it is not yet clear who should approve every
> derivative version." I suppose this is about off-project uses -
> requiring approval beyond community consensus for every derivative used
> in a Wikimedia project would be a horrible bureaucracy creep.
>
> Can I assume, when creating license templates to logo derivatives in the
> Hungarian Wikipedia (which is my reason for asking this), that the final
> policy will be something sensible, like permission to create
> derivatives, provided they are only used in the Wikimedia projects, and
> their copyright is transferred to the Foundation?

All logos and names of the Wikimedia projects are property of
Wikimedia Foundation. Therefore, at the moment, at least formally you
have to ask Wikimedia Foundation to use them outside Wikimedia
projects, as there is no any clear official policy who and how can
use it. It also apply to derivatives of logos. In fact, the only
formal body which may give you permission to use logos or names is
Wikimedia Board, although there is:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_committees#Trademarks_committee

which I don't know if it exists or not at the moment, but anyway it is
going to be a kind of advisory body for logos and names issues for
Wikimedia Board

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ceti.pl/kganicz/poli/kontakt.html
Re: Derivatives of the official logos [ In reply to ]
Tomasz Ganicz wrote:
> 2006/8/22, Tisza Gergõ <tgergo@inf.elte.hu>:
>
> All logos and names of the Wikimedia projects are property of
> Wikimedia Foundation. Therefore, at the moment, at least formally you
> have to ask Wikimedia Foundation to use them outside Wikimedia
> projects, as there is no any clear official policy who and how can
> use it. It also apply to derivatives of logos. In fact, the only
> formal body which may give you permission to use logos or names is
> Wikimedia Board, although there is:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_committees#Trademarks_committee
>
> which I don't know if it exists or not at the moment, but anyway it is
> going to be a kind of advisory body for logos and names issues for
> Wikimedia Board

You raise a serious and valid question which is unsettled right now.
Numerous portals have crafted icons which they use to identify their
pages; these are derivative works of the Foundation's logo. The
Foundation has not decided whether or not to (a) acquire these marks
directly (b) prevent the use of these marks (c) require licensing of
these marks. Some of them are quite clever, others are awful, to be candid.

This is one of many issues which will be considered by the Board as part
of its strategic planning retreat in October. For now, we will have to
stay in limbo.

-Brad