Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board
Dear all,

I am happy to announce the Board intends to fill the open community Trustee
seat at our meeting this weekend. On Saturday, María Sefidari will accept
an appointment to the Board of Trustees, stepping into the third
community-nominated seat. The appointment will last the remainder of the
two year term, until Wikimania 2017.

Many of you know María. She previously served as a community-selected
Trustee from August 2013 to July 2015. In the most recent 2015 community
elections, she received the next highest support percentage, and highest
number of support votes. She was born and lives in Madrid, Spain, and has
been a contributor to the Wikimedia projects since 2006. She was a founding
member of Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject, Wikimedia España, and
Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias. She has also served on the Affiliations and
Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is passionate about the role
of diversity in our strategic efforts to retain and increase editorship,
and improving channels for community participation in Foundation governance
and policymaking.

We consulted with the 2015 Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee before
deciding how to proceed in identifying a new Trustee. They offered
thoughtful feedback on the possible available options, and we’re grateful
for their considerations. (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman>
)

We are certain many of you are wondering why we decided against holding
another election. We did consider the option, but the disadvantages
outweighed the benefits. The last election was well-attended, and still
quite recent. Holding a new election would take considerable time, and we
have important issues to address in the near future. It was important to us
that the community perspective is fully represented in these conversations,
without delay. We also didn’t want to distract from the affiliate Trustee
selection process, which is coming up soon.

I am excited by the dedication, compassion, and experience María brings to
the Board at a crucial time. We are confident she will serve our mission
with wisdom and grace.

Please join me in congratulating our friend María, and thanking her service
to our movement.

Patricio

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Congratulations María! It's good to see you on the board.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Dear Patricio,

Thank you for the information. I would be interested in an elaboration
of the advantages and disadvantages of a community election, though.

Kind regards
Ziko

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Hi Ziko,

The advantages and disadvantages are articulated here, though I have to say
I wasn't aware of it until Patricio posted it just now.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015#2015_Foundation_Elections_Committee_thoughts_on_how_to_fill_the_vacancy_in_the_Board_after_the_removal_of_James_Heilman

I would speculate that the Board agreed with the advantages of the course
of action they have taken and felt the disadvantages of it are limited. But
that is only a guess ;)

Personally I think it is the right (and to me very obvious) decision.

Chris

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Congratulations, María! I am sure your experience, sensibility and wisdom
will be of great help for the Foundation at this difficult time.

Galileo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
¡Felicidades María!

Happy to see you again in the Board. Thanks to the BoT and to the 2015
Elections Committee for all the efforts solving this problem. The diversity
inside the Board gets many benefits with this appointment.

I trust you María!

*Salvador Alcántar*
*@salvador_alc*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Thanks Patricio,

There was many solution to the situation and I personally felt the board choose one of the less bad ;-)

charles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Another mistake. A lot has happened over the past few weeks. The community
should have been given a voice, in light of vast changes in circumstances
since last May.

María, too, might have felt better about joining the board with a clear
endorsement from the community – an endorsement given now, rather than last
May. As things stand, her tenure begins under a cloud.

Andreas
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Say welcome to María on
https://discourse.wmflabs.org/t/appointment-of-maria-sefidari-to-wikimedia-foundation-board/32
or just like the post there.

Ad Huikeshoven
Op 29 jan. 2016 16:27 schreef "Patricio Lorente" <patricio.lorente@gmail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Congratulations María!
I'm sure that her experience and support from the community (given she had
the most favourable votes in the election a few months ago) will be
important to bring the Board back on track after so many unfortunate
decisions in the past weeks.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Patricio writes:

"*we **have important issues to address in the near future.*"

Does that mean:

"So, we don't want to be disturbed by maybe another 'asking the wrong
questions'-guy we again have then to get rid of in the process by "losing
trust in him". We'll better stick to people from who we already know that
they will "function" in the current system"?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another mistake. A lot has happened over the past few weeks. The community
> should have been given a voice, in light of vast changes in circumstances
> since last May.
>
> María, too, might have felt better about joining the board with a clear
> endorsement from the community – an endorsement given now, rather than last
> May. As things stand, her tenure begins under a cloud.

If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.

At the other side, I'd ask Board members to stop making fringe
decisions. Now. Please!

--
Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
I am happy to see María returning to the Board, though I wish it took place under happier circumstances. I have confidence in her wisdom and her ability to help steer us out of this mess, though I certainly hope that she’ll be able to commit to whatever it is that James was fighting for while he was on the Board. ¡Felicidades! :)

That said, I do want to point out something that Salvador said in his e-mail:

> The diversity inside the Board gets many benefits with this appointment.

I have significant problems with this statement. While I appreciate the fact that María represents two of our underrepresented communities (women, sexual minorities), I am doubtful that her return to the Board will suddenly lead to "more diversity", especially when it comes to our communities in the developing world. We’ve been fighting for more geographic diversity on the Board and in the movement at large with very limited success as it is, so yet another developed world trustee does no favors for us even if I have lots of praise for María otherwise.

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshualim@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshualim@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
It's good to have María back, indeed.

Congratulations and welcome back, María!

T.

Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
> votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
> means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.

that is correct. Also, if the voting system relied on a net sum (support
votes minus oppose votes) she would have been elected.

dj
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
On 2016-01-29 17:56, Dariusz Jemielniak wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:43 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> If I remember well (not willing to check), Maria got the most of the
>> votes on the elections (more than any of the elected members), which
>> means that it's fair that she becomes a Board member.
>>

> that is correct. Also, if the voting system relied on a net sum
> (support
> votes minus oppose votes) she would have been elected.
>
> dj

Whereas this is a correct statement, it is irrelevant. The voters voted
knowing that only support votes count. If the system were different,
they could have voted differently.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
It is good to see her back on board again, Maria Khosh Umadi (welcome back
in Farsi)

Mardetanha

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Simplest and wisest solution on both short and medium term.

Vito

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:02 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod@mccme.ru>
wrote:

> Whereas this is a correct statement, it is irrelevant. The voters voted
> knowing that only support votes count. If the system were different, they
> could have voted differently.

Sure, and with many alternative systems the results could have been
different. I'm only pointing out that she did have a lot of support by
common sense metrics.

Btw, it is not true that "only support votes count". In our current system
the opposing votes count much more, in fact.

dj
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Thanks Maria for agreeing to join the Board in this manner and at this time.

On the subject of advantages vs. disadvantages... I imagine one of the most
important is that a new election may have seen the community elect James
Heilman again, requiring the board to publicly pass over him in favor of
someone else.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Congratulations, María.

In a perfect world, this seat would be confirmed with a community
election. But, the circumstances as they are now, selecting her is a
reasonable decision and one that I support.

The larger conversation about WMF annual plan and strategy, the Board
elections and structure, and other governance issues can not be
completed before an election. In my opinion the priority is robustly
addressing these issues. An election happening simultaneously will
negatively impact the results of all of them.

And since we now know that one (if not more) of the appointed seats
will go to North Americans' with a corporate background, María's
passion for diversity across the movement will be a good fit for the
current Board.

The greatest concern is that some people in wikimedia movement will
not accept a solution unless it gives James Heilman a way to be voted
back into a seat on the Board.

While I understand and share their concern that a community elected
seat can be removed without a formal arbitration process or a finding
of legal incompetence or legal impropriety, I don't think an election
is the correct way to find a resolution to the current situation with
the existing election and governance processes.

Furthermore, James' removal from the Board has drawn greater attention
to serious concern around transparency, WMF strategy, and the
relationship between the WMF Board, WMF staff, and the greater
wikimedia movement.

I have confidence that these conversation will continue, and that
María has gained insight from the discussions. And will understand
the importance of engaging the broad community to find solutions.

Thank you to the Board of Trustees for moving forward with a decision,
the election committee for their assistance, and María for agreeing to
return to the BoT at this turbulent time.
Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Patricio Lorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
I agree. And most importantly, I don't think that the results of the
last election show that the community has a lack of confidence in her
returning to the Board.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

[Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Yet another hugely surprising decision from the Board, I’m sorry to say.

Considering the results of the 2015 May Board elections, I think it fair to say that María’s appointment to the Board lacks any community legitimacy whatsoever. As a then-active member of the Board of Trustees, Maria stood in the elections, and lost in a vote that was equal and fair for every candidate. For the Board to now appoint María to fill in the vacancy created upon James’s removal from the Board stands in the face of that clear and unequivocal community decision.

This is particularly worrying given the high number of “oppose” votes that María received during the election — over 200 more than Dariusz, James, Denny and Mike (Taketa) each; indeed, more than any other candidate in the top 10.

What is more, the fact that María was specifically voted down from the Board by the community is a clear signal that the electorate did not want her to continue in that role. To see her return to the Board in a “community-selected” seat is just absurd.

What the Board should have done is organise a by-election. If María wants to be a community-selected Trustee, she should earn the seat. Let her run, and convince the community that the reasons she was not re-elected in May are no longer valid. Let her answer questions openly and transparently, and discuss issues with her rivals – the way that by-elections everywhere are run.

Of course, not organising a by-election avoids these highly unpleasant obligations.

But then, maybe that’s the point.

Tomasz
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
Thank you, Patricio & María.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Appointing María to the vacant seat is the best decision in the
> circumstances IMO. Not only does she come with strong "community seat"
> legitimacy as the person who came 'next' in the quite-recent election, she
> also is coming BACK to the board. The shorter learning-curve means that,
> during this difficult and important time, she will be able to be
> an effective

board member much faster than someone joining it for the first time.

Well said.

S.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Appointment of María Sefidari to Wikimedia Foundation Board [ In reply to ]
María,

Congratulations for your appointment!

Cheers!

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 7:17 PM, Sam Klein <sjklein@hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Thank you, Patricio & María.
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Appointing María to the vacant seat is the best decision in the
> > circumstances IMO. Not only does she come with strong "community seat"
> > legitimacy as the person who came 'next' in the quite-recent election,
> she
> > also is coming BACK to the board. The shorter learning-curve means that,
> > during this difficult and important time, she will be able to be
> > an effective
>
> board member much faster than someone joining it for the first time.
> >

> Well said.
>
> S.

Eduardo Testart
(56)(98) 293 5278 Móvil