Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board
Dear all,

Today the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees voted to remove one of the
Trustees, Dr. James Heilman, from the Board. His term ended effective
immediately.

This was not a decision the Board took lightly. The Board has a
responsibility to the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia Foundation to
ensure that the Board functions with mutual confidence to ensure effective
governance. Following serious consideration, the Board felt this removal
decision was a necessary step at this time. The resolution will be
published shortly.

This decision creates an open seat for a community-selected Trustee. The
Board is committed to filling this open community seat as quickly as
possible. We will reach out to the 2015 election committee
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee>
to discuss our options, and will keep you informed as we determine next
steps.

Patricio Lorente

Chair, Board of Trustees

Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
I really really hope that the full and transparent text of the resolution
is published as soon as is reasonably possible. James has the trust of a
colossal number of movement members, and seeing him suddenly removed short
of allegations of financial malfeasance or something to that effect is
incredibly jarring. This has never happened before in the history of the
WMF... and bluntly, we've definitely had community elected trustees whose
judgement was less well thought of than James.

----
KG

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
On 28 December 2015 at 18:29, Patricio Lorente <patricio.lorente@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Today the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees voted to remove one of the
> Trustees, Dr. James Heilman, from the Board. His term ended effective
> immediately.
>
> This was not a decision the Board took lightly. The Board has a
> responsibility to the Wikimedia movement and the Wikimedia Foundation to
> ensure that the Board functions with mutual confidence to ensure effective
> governance. Following serious consideration, the Board felt this removal
> decision was a necessary step at this time. The resolution will be
> published shortly.
>
> This decision creates an open seat for a community-selected Trustee. The
> Board is committed to filling this open community seat as quickly as
> possible. We will reach out to the 2015 election committee
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Committee
> >
> to discuss our options, and will keep you informed as we determine next
> steps.
>
> Patricio Lorente
>
> Chair, Board of Trustees
>
> Wikimedia Foundation

While you are at it, Patricio, please also publish the names of the two new
Board-appointed trustees.

Risker/Anne
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Dear Patricio,

as James is (or was) a community-elected member, it would have been nice to
include reasons why the Board took this decision in the announcement. It
gives (at least me) the impression of deliberate non-openness, and I don't
like it.

Th.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Here is the resolution removing James.

https://m.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal

Anthony Cole <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Anthonyhcole>
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Add my voice to those waiting for the Board to provide something closer to
the minimum necessary context for this decision.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Add me as well.​
​Eager to know what happened.​
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Hi,

This official statement is very much weak and does not state any reason of
such removal. A rather serious and transparent explanation to the community
is needed.

Regards,
Bodhisattwa

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Under Florida law
(https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/617.0808), there is a
distinction between removals for cause and removals not for cause
(https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/617.0808).

Removals not for cause require a 2/3 majority (this standard was still met).

If you are unwilling or unable to specify the reason for removal, I
think you should at least specify whether it was for cause.

Thanks,

Matt Flaschen

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 6:29 PM, Patricio Lorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
I really, really hope that, as fast as one can be written, a resolution
explaining more fully the circumstances of James' departure from the board
is written and passed. If there are legal reasons that mean that his
departure cannot be more fully explained, that itself needs to be noted -
and I hope they're particularly strong reasons. Without looking up the
vote count in the last election: James has the trust of a huge segment of
the community, and also has a much stronger sense of direction in how WMF
should be steered than many of our trustees have in the past. His sudden
removal (the power mechanism I've cobbled together to have my laptop
functional today is hilarious) without further explanation looks way too
much like one of only three directly elected trustees spoke up too openly
in a way that wasn't welcomed about the directions he thought Wikimedia
should go - even though he literally published a platform before he was
elected. The sudden removal of a very well respected community elected
trustee has at least the appearance of a board that may not want to be
responsive to those who literally create it's only valuable asset.

Best,
KG

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
I am hopeful that the resolution, when it is published, will provide us
with more information.

IMO, speed is less important here than the completeness of the information.
I'd prefer a more thorough explanation provided tomorrow than a hasty and
potentially incomplete explanation today.

Thanks,
Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Pine, the resolution was published, and it does not provide any
information.
https://m.wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal

Matt, why would FL law apply to Board decisions? WMF is based in Cali. Are
they still officially a Florida entity?

Best,
Th.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
I'd like to suggest we look at this decision from as objective and broad a
perspective as possible, and consider any statement (or lack of any
statement) from the Wikimedia Foundation from that perspective. My initial
thoughts are that the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees are an entity
that:
* Controls one of the most valuable brands in the world
* Leverages that control to command a budget approaching $100 million
annually, mostly from $15 donations
* Makes or approves decisions, with an unknown level of transparency, about
how to spend that budget
* Is only minimally accountable to anyone. (Four Trustees are selected by
the Board itself, one is a co-founder of Wikipedia with exclusive claim to
a seat, two are selected by a somewhat arcane process by the Chapters, and
only three -- 30% -- are elected by Wikimedia volunteers)

With this action, eight Trustees with little accountability overruled
several hundred volunteers and another Trustee who literally earned the
most support votes of any Trustee in the organization's history.

Any explanation of the reasons should be commensurate, in my view, to the
points outlined above.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Quite surprised by this action, it does indeed seem unprecedented and I would hope the board would release a statement as to why this decision was made. Unless there are legal reasons that mean the board cannot disclose why, I would think that an explanation should be provided.

Steve Crossin

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Pete Forsyth <peteforsyth@gmail.com> wrote:

> With this action, eight Trustees with little accountability overruled
> several hundred volunteers and another Trustee who literally earned the
> most support votes of any Trustee in the organization's history.
>
> Any explanation of the reasons should be commensurate, in my view, to the
> points outlined above.
>
> -Pete
> [[User:Peteforsyth]]

​
James was elected
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections_2015/Results>
by 1,857 people ​

​and removed by eight.​ I hope an explanation is forthcoming very soon.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Yes, it's still a Florida organization.

You can see the resolution cites
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Bylaws#Section_7._Removal , which in
turn cites Section 617.0808(1), which is what I linked to (

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Wikimedia is still a democracy, even if the people running it aren't
..as someone pointed out above, he was selected by over 1800
"contributors" and i have personally seen him make 'minor' mistakes,
none justifying why he was removed.. This is quite unbecoming of an
organisation that prides itself on its community, only to remove one
of its community-elected board members without any justification
whatsoever......still waiting....I doubt any of us will be fond of
having another elections until we find out why James was removed in
the first place..

--
Cometstyles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Even if there are legal reasons that disclosure is not possible, a simple
statement to that effect ("For legal reasons, we cannot provide additional
information") should be at the very least forthcoming.

If the removal was "not for cause", which apparently is allowed, that
should be explicitly stated as well.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
SarahSV wrote:
>On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Pete Forsyth <peteforsyth@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> With this action, eight Trustees with little accountability overruled
>> several hundred volunteers and another Trustee who literally earned the
>> most support votes of any Trustee in the organization's history.
>>
>> Any explanation of the reasons should be commensurate, in my view, to
>>the points outlined above.
>​
>James was elected by 1,857 people ​​and removed by eight.​ I hope an
>explanation is forthcoming very soon.

---
Stu West, Jan-Bart de Vreede, Guy Kawasaki, Denny Vrandečić,

; Oppose: Dariusz Jemielniak, James Heilman
---

This is a somewhat interesting breakdown. I'm also paying close attention
to what James posted on this mailing list. In my mind, he's the person
likely able to speak most freely about this removal and probably is more
familiar with it than most. For now, he seems to have chosen not to say
very much. Others involved in the removal likely can't (or maybe won't)
say much more, which of course just leaves everyone else to speculate.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
On 29.12.2015 02:17, MZMcBride wrote:
> ---
> Stu West, Jan-Bart de Vreede, Guy Kawasaki, Denny Vrandečić,
>
> ; Oppose: Dariusz Jemielniak, James Heilman
> ---
>
> This is a somewhat interesting breakdown. I'm also paying close attention
> to what James posted on this mailing list. In my mind, he's the person
> likely able to speak most freely about this removal and probably is more
> familiar with it than most. For now, he seems to have chosen not to say
> very much. Others involved in the removal likely can't (or maybe won't)
> say much more, which of course just leaves everyone else to speculate.
>
> MZMcBride

What is strange is that he votes and he votes in opposition.

Did someone see an inconsistencyon that?

Kind regards

--
Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH

[Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
As Patricio stated the "Board has a responsibility to ... ensure that the
Board functions with *mutual confidence*"

My fellow trustees need no reason beyond lack of trust in me to justify my
removal. No reason beyond that is needed per our board by laws.

There was not any COI or legal impropriety on my part. I have done what I
believe is in the best interest of our movement. I hope Patricio and I can
work together to provide greater explanation in the coming days.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
James,

Thank you for framing the issue. In the absence of any alternative claim,
let me respond to the "trust" issue.

"Trust" is not a thing in itself. One person trusts another with a certain
responsibility, or to accomplish a certain task. An unqualified "I trust
you" is generally the kind of thing uttered only in marriage ceremonies.

So, there are several kinds of trust I am now thinking about, and I hope to
hear from other Board members:
* Do they mistrust your integrity? (If so, they should say so, even if the
law or their duties prevent them from saying more.)
* Do they mistrust your commitment to our shared mission and vision, and
what's left of our strategy? (Same -- they should say as much)
* Do they mistrust your willingness to rubber-stamp votes that other
Trustees support? (If that is the reason, that would be a horrible
miscarriage of their responsibility, and my own trust in the Board's
ability to carry out its duties would be seriously shaken)

I also look forward to hearing much more substance from the Board. While I
agree that too much haste would be a bad thing, that principle only goes so
far. I will be measuring the time in hours, not days.
-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 8:39 PM, James Heilman <jmh649@gmail.com> wrote:

> As Patricio stated the "Board has a responsibility to ... ensure that the
> Board functions with *mutual confidence*"
>
> My fellow trustees need no reason beyond lack of trust in me to justify my
> removal. No reason beyond that is needed per our board by laws.
>
> There was not any COI or legal impropriety on my part. I have done what I
> believe is in the best interest of our movement. I hope Patricio and I can
> work together to provide greater explanation in the coming days.
>
> --
> James Heilman

Why be cute about it, then? Just say what happened and leave the games to
others.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Hey Doc,

The community wants to know about what happened. I think, you need to talk
about this.

Regards,
Bodhisattwa

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement about changes to the Board [ In reply to ]
Bodhisattwa and Nathan,

If I imagine myself in James' shoes, I would be thinking a lot right now
about:
* What are my legal obligations around what I may or may not say
* What are the difficult-to-predict consequences to WMF, to Wikimedia,
and/or to oneself of saying various things
* What obligation I have to speak, when no charge against me has been made
(at least publicly), and when my term as a trustee is now over

Speaking for myself, if I were James, I would not be rushing into any
public statement.

The people we need most to hear from right now are the eight people who
made a mysterious decision. The two people who opposed the decision might
or might have interesting responses -- I too am curious to hear what they
will say. But it's the majority and/or chair of the Wikimedia Foundation
Board we need most to hear from.

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]