me by advocating for our values, communities, and projects.

Sincerely
James Heilman

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]

> On Dec 28th 2015 I was removed from the board of the Wikimedia Foundation.

I don't know the reason. . . anyway, good wishes.:)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
Dr James, thank you for your work in Wikimedia governance (and for that
matter, management so far.) I really hope a full, thoughtful, and
defensible statement in support of his decision will be coming from the
rest of the board shortly. I'm a little bit disturbed to see a respected
community member who was elected with a significant mandate removed from
the board without there being something like allegations of financial
malfeasance, etc, involved. The Wikimedia Foundation board does
(literally) directly control the projects, and does (literally) directly
have the ability to appoint and dismiss board members at its will, but I
would hope that such power would be exercised with extreme discretion,
especially with regards to a community member generally as well-respected
and with as solid judgement as Dr. James has.

---
Kevin Gorman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
Wut?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 3:43 PM, James Heilman <jmh649@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28th 2015 I was removed from the board of the Wikimedia Foundation.
> Many thanks to all those who gave me their support during the last
> election. I have worked in the last six month to honor the trust placed in
> me by advocating for our values, communities, and projects.
>
> Sincerely
> James Heilman

​James, this is disappointing. Can you say more about what happened?

Sarah​
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
This is not good. I suppose Board will give us an explanation of what
happened, so we could discuss it here.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
I join everyone else here in hoping we'll be hearing a very good reason for
this. I understand it may not be possible (or wise) for Doc James to
provide that, but it certainly shouldn't be done for simple differences of
opinion.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
Anyone who has worked with James on the projects will know how seriously
committed he is to open knowledge and that he is held in the highest regard
by the community for his achievements and character. Losing him from the
WMF board is a severe blow for fellow volunteers. With James voted in as a
trustee to rely on to ask the hard questions on governance, I thought that
the endless cycle of "moving forward" rhetoric on delivering improvement
and transparency now had some true substance behind it.

James, whatever went on behind this, always trust in your own judgement,
focus on what really matters, and KBO.[1] The WMF has managed to publicly
shoot the cat.

1. It was good enough for Churchill and a pinch of stoicism might be needed
at this time.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
I hope that the WMF board and James are able to collaborate a bit further
to give an explanation of the cause of this, and that the explanation given
is to the mutual satisfaction of both the board and James.

I presume that the current notice of dismissal without explanation is not
the explanation that pleases all those involved in this.

yours,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 5:43 PM, James Heilman <jmh649@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 28th 2015 I was removed from the board of the Wikimedia Foundation.
> Many thanks to all those who gave me their support during the last
> election. I have worked in the last six month to honor the trust placed in
> me by advocating for our values, communities, and projects.
>
> Sincerely
> James Heilman
>
> --
> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814
lane@bluerasberry.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
Surely there must be a board resolution that needs to be pubished regarding
this?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 9:17 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Surely there must be a board resolution that needs to be pubished regarding
> this?

It was published. It contains no information beyond the OP.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
Nod. Found it. :/

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com> wrote:

> It was published. It contains no information beyond the OP.

Well, it contains a bit more -- it clarifies that his removal also ends his
terms on various committees, and -- rather significant, I think -- it
states the names of which Trustees voted which way.
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:James_Heilman_Removal

-Pete
[[User:Peteforsyth]]
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF Board of Trustees [ In reply to ]
This is an unprecedented and very serious situation. We wait for good
reasons from the Board to decide for this extreme measure.

Vini