Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications instructed all
Russian internet providers to block all user access to Wikipedia. All
involved parties are aware of the development. I am not sure whether
only ru.wikipedia.org will be blocked, or all WMF projects. In the
latter case, if you are going to travel to Russia, you will need to gen
an IP exempt flag in advance in the projects you are going to edit.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]
Greetings,

there is a note online at the Roskomnadzor (the russian agency in
question) web site referring to the block:
http://rkn.gov.ru/news/rsoc/news34253.htm

Mathias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]
Does anyone know more about the article on an illegal drug they are referring to?

Sounds like it’s just Russian Wikipedia and not the other languages or projects. Anyone able to verify?

-greg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]
On 2015-08-24 17:46, Gregory Varnum wrote:
> Does anyone know more about the article on an illegal drug they are
> referring to?
>
> Sounds like it’s just Russian Wikipedia and not the other languages or
> projects. Anyone able to verify?
>
> -greg

This is the article:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A7%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B0%D1%81_%28%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B8%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B5_%D0%B2%D0%B5%D1%89%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%BE%29

(it was moved from the origibal location, which is now a dab).

The intention of the agency was to only block access to this page. What
they will be actually blocking depends on how the https routing works. I
do not know, it is either only the Russian Wikipedia, or all WMF
projects.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]
To me the basic step in such a case like this is translating the article
about the agency in more languages, so that people can get more background
information. The article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Service_for_Supervision_in_the_Sphere_of_Telecom,_Information_Technologies_and_Mass_Communications

Creating awareness starts with having a good article about the organisation
in question.

Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]
I wonder if this is related to the recent blocking of reddit.

<
http://www.vocativ.com/news/221534/the-story-behind-russias-reddit-shutdown/

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 6:28 PM, Romaine Wiki <romaine.wiki@gmail.com>
wrote:

> To me the basic step in such a case like this is translating the article
> about the agency in more languages, so that people can get more background
> information. The article:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Service_for_Supervision_in_the_Sphere_of_Telecom,_Information_Technologies_and_Mass_Communications
>
> Creating awareness starts with having a good article about the organisation
> in question.
>
> Romaine

> > Today, the Russian Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of
> > Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications instructed all
> > Russian internet providers to block all user access to Wikipedia. All
> > involved parties are aware of the development. I am not sure whether only
> > ru.wikipedia.org will be blocked, or all WMF projects. In the latter
> > case, if you are going to travel to Russia, you will need to gen an IP
> > exempt flag in advance in the projects you are going to edit.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav

Lane Rasberry
user:bluerasberry on Wikipedia
206.801.0814
lane@bluerasberry.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Lane Rasberry <lane@bluerasberry.com>
wrote:

> I wonder if this is related to the recent blocking of reddit.
>
> <
>
> http://www.vocativ.com/news/221534/the-story-behind-russias-reddit-shutdown/

Same law of course, but there doesn't appear to be a direct connection.

James
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Imminent block of access to Wikipedia in Russia [ In reply to ]

>> Today, the Russian Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of
>> Telecom, Information Technologies and Mass Communications instructed
>> all
>> Russian internet providers to block all user access to Wikipedia. All
>> involved parties are aware of the development. I am not sure whether
>> only
>> ru.wikipedia.org will be blocked, or all WMF projects. In the latter
>> case, if you are going to travel to Russia, you will need to gen an IP
>> exempt flag in advance in the projects you are going to edit.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Yaroslav

Now after less than a day the access is being restored again. The
Russian Federal Service for Supervision in the Sphere of Telecom,
Information Technologies and Mass Communications removed the article
from the list (there are several more Wikipedia articles which are still
there, but there is no immediate threat for the time being). It is not
clear why they decided to change their mind.

Cheers
Yaroslav