Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study
Of possible interest - perspectives on use of en.woktionary & fr.wiktionary for vocabulary learning/review, with focus on African languages:

http://niamey.blogspot.com/2015/07/wiktionary-as-tool-for-african-language.html

An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the definition(s)?

Don Osborn

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
The flashcard function idea is not essential, given the availability of
superior free, open-source, multi-platform flashcard programs like Anki.
But it might be a good tool for engaging folks.

There are Swadesh lists for many languages, which should be supplemented by
more contemporary words and phrases.

It seems interesting and possibly grant-worthy. But finding the talent to
persevere is non-trivial.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM, <dzo@bisharat.net> wrote:

> Of possible interest - perspectives on use of en.woktionary &
> fr.wiktionary for vocabulary learning/review, with focus on African
> languages:
>

> http://niamey.blogspot.com/2015/07/wiktionary-as-tool-for-african-language.html
>
> An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of
> "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry
> headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the
> definition(s)?
>
> Don Osborn
>
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Dennis C. During
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
I agree: there are excellent free-software flashcard programs out there,
and no need to duplicate that functionality. This does suggest that
convenient export functions (e.g. by category, by language) in formats
expected by Anki etc. could enable a lot more use of Wiktionaries as
sources for vocabulary study.

A.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Dennis During <dcduring@gmail.com> wrote:

> The flashcard function idea is not essential, given the availability of
> superior free, open-source, multi-platform flashcard programs like Anki.
> But it might be a good tool for engaging folks.
>
> There are Swadesh lists for many languages, which should be supplemented by
> more contemporary words and phrases.
>
> It seems interesting and possibly grant-worthy. But finding the talent to
> persevere is non-trivial.
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM, <dzo@bisharat.net> wrote:
>
> > Of possible interest - perspectives on use of en.woktionary &
> > fr.wiktionary for vocabulary learning/review, with focus on African
> > languages:
> >

> http://niamey.blogspot.com/2015/07/wiktionary-as-tool-for-african-language.html
> >
> > An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of
> > "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry
> > headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the
> > definition(s)?
> >
> > Don Osborn
> >
> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

> Dennis C. During

Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
Online flashcards would be useful for demonstrating the idea to those not
familiar with some aspect of them. Directing users to the sources of
software for their platforms would be in the interests of both users
(better individualization, no need for connectivity) and MW (less server
load).

The need is to overcome some of the barriers that the blog article
identified to make the enterprise appear likely to succeed so that more
folks can get involved and hep it succeed.

Priorities for achieving early successes are important.

1. Simple flashcards do not require the development of inflection
templates, though inflection templates would be important milestones.
2. Core vocabulary is basic and may help recruit folks with the skills
required to achieve more advanced objectives.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Asaf Bartov <abartov@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I agree: there are excellent free-software flashcard programs out there,
> and no need to duplicate that functionality. This does suggest that
> convenient export functions (e.g. by category, by language) in formats
> expected by Anki etc. could enable a lot more use of Wiktionaries as
> sources for vocabulary study.
>
> A.
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Dennis During <dcduring@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The flashcard function idea is not essential, given the availability of
> > superior free, open-source, multi-platform flashcard programs like Anki.
> > But it might be a good tool for engaging folks.
> >
> > There are Swadesh lists for many languages, which should be supplemented
> by
> > more contemporary words and phrases.
> >
> > It seems interesting and possibly grant-worthy. But finding the talent
> > persevere is non-trivial.
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 12:50 PM, <dzo@bisharat.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Of possible interest - perspectives on use of en.woktionary &
> > > fr.wiktionary for vocabulary learning/review, with focus on African
> > > languages:
> > >

> http://niamey.blogspot.com/2015/07/wiktionary-as-tool-for-african-language.html
> > >
> > > An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of
> > > "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry
> > > headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the
> > > definition(s)?
> > >
> > > Don Osborn
> > >
> > > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

> > --
> > Dennis C. During

> Asaf Bartov
> Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Dennis C. During
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM, <dzo@bisharat.net> wrote:
> An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the definition(s)?

This will become considerably easier once we have Wikidata support for
Wiktionary. The latest proposal for how to do this is at
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Wiktionary/Development/Proposals/2015-05
and welcoming feedback.

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
This will become considerably easier once we have Wikidata support for
Wiktionary. The latest proposal for how to do this is at
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Wiktionary/Development/Proposals/2015-05
and welcoming feedback.

Easier for whom?
Is there an ETA for that?

On Sat, Jul 4, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Lydia Pintscher <
lydia.pintscher@wikimedia.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 6:50 PM, <dzo@bisharat.net> wrote:
> > An idea buried in the text: Would it be possible to develop a kind of
> "flashcard" function based on "random page by language" where entry
> headwords for the chosen language would be generated without the
> definition(s)?
>
> This will become considerably easier once we have Wikidata support for
> Wiktionary. The latest proposal for how to do this is at
>
> https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Wiktionary/Development/Proposals/2015-05
> and welcoming feedback.
>

> Cheers
> Lydia
>
> --
> Lydia Pintscher - http://about.me/lydia.pintscher
> Product Manager for Wikidata
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
> Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
> 10963 Berlin
> www.wikimedia.de

> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter der Nummer 23855 Nz. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das
> Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Dennis C. During
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 4:37 AM, Dennis During <dcduring@gmail.com> wrote:
> Easier for whom?

Since it'll be more machine-readable than it is now it'll be easier
for a programmer to make use of the data to build a tool like you
proposed or use it in an existing tool.

> Is there an ETA for that?

No. It's quite some work but it's definitely something I want to make
happen. It's unclear when we can start working on it.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wiktionary & language study [ In reply to ]
I'm getting old, so I may not be able to wait for the completion of a
project that hasn't started. I guess I'm looking for something that can be
demonstrated soon, for one class of vocabulary (language or technical
jargon), before the year is out or sooner.

I will probably try to assemble content in an area like taxonomic plant
names (families) or amino acids or something, see what the flashcard
program Anki requires, and find someone at Wiktionary who can develop some
easy interface for end-user downloads.

On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Lydia Pintscher <