Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel)
Hi Ricordisamoa,

There are multiple chapters, user groups and thematic organizations that
are active in the US and have a degree of separation from WMF. The US
affiliates are cooperative with each other, and the affiliate leaders
communicate with each other fairly frequently. May I ask what benefits you
think would come from having a consolidated US chapter? We've talked about
this casually among ourselves but so far we seem to be satisfied with a
confederation of smaller affiliates instead of a single national affiliate.

Thanks!

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
I know the confederated approach may surely make more sense for the
local communities, but I think an established regional subject would
help uproot the Foundation from a single country it relies too much on.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
Ironically, Ricordisamoa, the "decision" to not have a US chapter was made
around 10 years ago at the strong urging of other chapters. The theory (as
I understand it) was that the US was the home of the WMF itself, which in
the view of the era, meant that the US didn't need the "protections" that
came from a chapter; the WMF itself was perceived to speak for US
Wikimedians. (Given the times, back when there were literally only enough
employees to run the servers and sort of keep an eye on MediaWiki, this was
perhaps an incorrect assessment.) Then US regions started to form chapters,
first New York then DC; there are now a significant number of user groups.
If there had been a US chapter formed back at that time, there would only
be one US chapter; the rest would never be recognized at the chapter level.
Instead, we now see the specter of what could come, since the US alone as a
nation with a large number of Wikimedians does not have the opportunity for
a single chapter: given a little bit more organization, and the ambition
to do the paperwork to become a chapter, the US could have as many (or
more) chapters than exist in all of Europe in a few years. One has to
wonder if some other countries, especially those with a large number of
Wikimedians or a massive geographic area, might wish they had gone with
regional affiliates rather than a national one.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
I infer that you would have preferred a single US chapter from the
start, wouldn't you?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
Ricordisamoa, I have no preference either way. I live in a geographically
enormous country (Canada), which has a national chapter - centered so far
away from me that I'll never be in a position to participate in person at a
regular meetup. In Canada's case, regional chapters might have been better,
and I wonder about other geographically large countries where this would
also be more workable.

Risker

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Risker <risker.wp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ricordisamoa, I have no preference either way. I live in a geographically
> enormous country (Canada), which has a national chapter - centered so far
> away from me that I'll never be in a position to participate in person at a
> regular meetup. In Canada's case, regional chapters might have been better,
> and I wonder about other geographically large countries where this would
> also be more workable.
>
> Risker

​

​The United States is so big, and the population so propagated ​amongst its
size, that a cohesive US chapter is pretty much impossible. Despite the
size of our movement, it's still very small by regional breakdown and the
economics of travel for support just don't match up. I've attended a few
meetups in the US, and I had to travel significant distance to do so only
to have a maximum turnout of a few dozen. That was a DC meetup in which I
flew in from the southern US and met with Risker - coming from Canada - at
the airport to attend a meetup that was 40 strong with half of the people
not being from DC. And that took significant planning.

Ultimately, a US chapter would fail not because of passion, but simple
logistics.

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The United States is not singular in its size, its diversity, the number of
people. Arguably India, Brazil and Russia compare.

The one difference the USA has is its historic attention from the WMF in
every aspect of its operations. Arguably, the WMF has performed many of
what would be expected of a USA chapter without any of the administrative,
democratic or other requirements that a chapter has.

When the USA has its own WMF chapter, it is no longer an automatic given
what the WMF may do in the USA and THAT would end much of the
discrimination that is taking place.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
> The WMF will become a truly global organization when a Wikimedia US
> chapter is founded ;-)
Not quite, but it would be an important step in that direction. Work on USA
projects should be done by USA Wikimedia chapters and other USA
organization, not by the Foundation.

It used to be worse in the past - The example that I recall most easily is
the Public Policy Initiative from 2010, which got American people to work
on American topics. Though not a bad project as far as the created content
goes, I felt discomfort about the fact that it's done by the Foundation
which is supposed to be international.

But that was five years ago. I cannot recall something like that is
happening now. There are local American chapters now; it's good that they
are local, and there should be more of them. Foundation is backing more
international projects and usually gives the backing to organizations or
individuals rather than doing everything by itself.

It can get much more international, but a good process has already begun.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] US affiliates (was: Re: WMF office location and remodel) [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Hear, hear !!
Thanks,
GerardM