Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] GRAPH extension is now live everywhere!
Starting today, editors can use *<graph>* tag to include complex graphs and
maps inside articles.

*Demo:* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph/Demo
*Vega's demo:* http://trifacta.github.io/vega/editor/?spec=scatter_matrix
*Extension info:* https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Graph
*Vega's docs:* https://github.com/trifacta/vega/wiki
*Bug reports:* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/ - project tag #graph

Graph tag support template parameter expansion. There is also a Graphoid
service to convert graphs into images. Currently, Graphoid is used in case
the browser does not support modern JavaScript, but I plan to use it for
all anonymous users - downloading large JS code needed to render graphs is
significantly slower than showing an image.

Potential future growth (developers needed!):
* Documentation and better tutorials
* Visualize as you type - show changes in graph while editing its code
* Visual Editor's plugin
* Animation <https://github.com/trifacta/vega/wiki/Interaction-Scenarios>

Project history: Exactly one year ago, Dan Andreescu (milimetric) and Jon
Robson demoed Vega visualization grammar <https://trifacta.github.io/vega/>
usage in MediaWiki. The project stayed dormant for almost half a year,
until Zero team decided it was a good solution to do on-wiki graphs. The
project was rewritten, and gained many new features, such as template
parameters. Yet, doing graphs just for Zero portal seemed silly. Wider
audience meant that we now had to support older browsers, thus Graphoid
service was born.

This project could not have happened without the help from Dan Andreescu,
Brion Vibber, Timo Tijhof, Chris Steipp, Max Semenik, Marko Obrovac,
Alexandros Kosiaris, Jon Robson, Gabriel Wicke, and others who have helped
me develop, test, instrument, and deploy Graph extension and Graphoid
service. I also would like to thank the Vega team for making this amazing
library.

--Yurik
Re: [Wikimedia-l] GRAPH extension is now live everywhere! [ In reply to ]
Was this why it was offline on meta for a couple of weeks?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] GRAPH extension is now live everywhere! [ In reply to ]
I miss a "thank you" or "like" button on this mailing list. Looks great.
Thank you!
Alice.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] GRAPH extension is now live everywhere! [ In reply to ]
Thanks Alice :)

Aleksey, the graphs were never off on meta. Please check if your graphs
show any errors in the browser console - I did update the underlying
libraries several times.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] GRAPH extension is now live everywhere! [ In reply to ]
The graph does not load for me on either Mac OS X Yosemite laptop or on a
Windows 7 desktop. In both cases it displays when editing the page---but
not when looking at a page, directly. Web platform in both cases is
whatever the latest version of Firefox is. In both cases the web console
error is the same:

"Blocked loading mixed active content "
http://toolserver.org/~dapete/ime/ime.js"[Learn More]"

Clicking through leads to:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Security/MixedContent

Re: [Wikimedia-l] GRAPH extension is now live everywhere! [ In reply to ]
Thank you!!!

Edward Galvez
Program Evaluation Associate
Wikimedia Foundation