Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees
Hi All,

Today we're pleased to announce a new group of grantees working to increase
gender diversity in Wikimedia projects.

In early March, we announced the Inspire campaign
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Inspire>, an initiative led
by WMF’s Community Resources team to generate new ideas to address
Wikimedia's gender gap. From 266 ideas came 42 grant proposals eligible for
consideration. After careful review by a committee of volunteer Wikimedians
and gender-focused experts, 16 projects have been recommended and approved
for funding.

The projects are experimenting with a variety of strategies: organizing
events and leveraging professional communities, institutions and
partnerships to create quality content, researching gaps in both content
and contributors, and testing approaches for training and mentorship to
better support gender diversity on-wiki. Overall, we’re particularly
pleased to see projects looking at gender in multiple ways as they work to
improve Wikipedia’s gender diversity across various contexts, and to be
supporting some returning grantees as well as many new project leaders who
identify as women or allies for increasing gender diversity.

You can also read more about the campaign and each funded project on the
Wikimedia Foundation blog
<http://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/05/01/meet-the-inspire-grantees/>.

The funded projects are:

- Wikipedian in Residence for Gender Equity
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Wikipedian_in_Residence_for_Gender_Equity>
- Gender gap admin training
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Gender-gap_admin_training>

- Survey women who don't contribute
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Survey_women_who_don%27t_contribute>

- Wikipedia Gender Index
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/WIGI:_Wikipedia_Gender_Index>

- Wikipedia Buddy Group
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Wikipedia_Buddy_Group>
- Wiki Edit-a-thon Work Parties
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Wiki_Edit-a-thon_Work_Parties>
- More Female Architects on Wikipedia
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG/More_Female_Architects_on_Wikipedia>

- Linguistics Editathon series: Improving female linguists'
participation and representation on Wikipedia
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Linguistics_Editathon_series:_Improving_female_linguists%27_participation_and_representation_on_Wikipedia>
- Wikipedia edit-a-thon for the Aphra Behn Society
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Wikipedia_edit-a-thon_for_the_Aphra_Behn_Society>
- Wikineedsgirls
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Wikineedsgirls>
- Gender in East Asia Wikipedia Editing
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Gender_in_East_Asia_Wikipedia_Editing>
- Full Circle Gap Protocol: Addressing the Unknown Unknowns
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Full_Circle_Gap_Protocol:_Addressing_the_%E2%80%98Unknown_Unknowns%E2%80%99>
- Wellington Wikipedia Meet Up - With Childcare
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Wellington_Wikipedia_Meet_Up_-_With_Childcare!>

- Just for the record
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Just_for_the_record>
- Let's fill the gender gap Workshops
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Let%27s_fill_the_gender_gap_Workshops>
- Empowering Afrodescendant women in Wikipedia
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/Empowering_Afrodescendant_women_in_Wikipedia>

What’s next:

We hope you'll continue to engage with these projects as they begin work in
coming months and offer your experience and ideas!

Meanwhile, our regularly scheduled grant programs continue :)

A number of ideas and grant proposals from the campaign are still in
development. Over the coming year, we'll continue to encourage people to
make changes based on feedback and our Project and Event Grants
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG> and Individual Engagement
Grants <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG> programs will be happy
to continue to receive new or adjusted proposals aimed at increasing gender
diversity during regular funding cycles along with all other topics.

A full analysis of the Inspire campaign is in progress, and in coming weeks
we'll be sharing findings from a traffic analysis and a participant survey.
Stay tuned for another update in mid-May on what we learned from the
Inspire experiment, what worked, what didn't, and recommended steps for the
future.

Many thanks to all of you that contributed to this campaign with proposals,
ideas, feedback and suggestions!

Cheers,

The Inspire Team

--
Alexandra Wang
Program Officer
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Congratulations on bringing to the surface these 16 project ideas!
I'm looking forward to seeing how these specific projects go, and also to
seeing if they can become replicable models for future activities and help
solve the broad gender-gap problem.

When the "inspire campaign" was first announced I was critical - not of the
importance of the topic - but whether the method of "focusing attention on
only one topic" was a good idea. By focusing grants on one topic, would
that be beneficial to that topic or would it simply be detrimental to all
other topics?

It seems the answer is that SPECIFICALLY INVITING people to apply for
grants on a specific topic DOES draw out many and various good ideas.
Without that specific invitation, it is likely that only a proportion of
these would ever have been submitted, and an even smaller number actually
funded.

Furthermore, it don't believe any of the grant applications that were
underway on other topics were delayed or negatively affected because of
this project.

So, congratulations WMF grants team on trialling an innovative and tricky
idea. Let's hope the 16 projects prove to be successful!

-Liam / Wittylama

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Liam, thanks for writing this - as an early campaign critic, it means a lot
to our team to see your updated thinking here! I see much value in running
experiments that help us test our assumptions and refine our understanding
of what works and what doesn't in this movement, and am glad to know that
you agree this particular one has resulted in something useful w/o
negatively impacting other projects.
Cheers,
Siko

Siko Bouterse
Director of Community Resources
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

sbouterse@wikimedia.org

sum of all knowledge. *
*Donate <https://donate.wikimedia.org> or click the "edit" button today,
and help us make it a reality!*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Hi Liam,

I too am happy with many aspects of Aspire.

However, the campaign scheduling and communications issues caused major
headaches here in Cascadia, and was disruptive in other ways that I'd
rather not document in a public list. The Community Resources and L&E teams
are aware of the specifics. I am hopeful that communications and scheduling
will be planned more carefully in the future.

Congrats to the grantees. I look forward to hearing about what you learn
and achieve. (:

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Thank you, Liam, for the supportive positive comments.

Sydney

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Liam, that is true, originally I submitted an idea because of the specific
topic of the campaign, which later on evolved into a more generic project
which could potentially address other kind of issues. BUT, without the
original hook, perhaps I would have never submitted anything.

I hope the inspire campaign doesn't mean that it is the only way to do
things. I wish to see chapters playing a role in the grantmaking process,
assisting specially with internationalitation which seems a long standing
issue.

Cheers,
Micru

Etiamsi omnes, ego non
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Hi Micru,

My understanding is that the thinking at WMF is that, if this campaign is
successful, they may repeat Inspire with a different focus, perhaps global
south, underrepresented languages, public health, or education programs.

It could be very beneficial to involve affiliates in some of these
programs. Affiliates might also be interested in running some of the
projects in IdeaLab that have not yet been sponsored by WMF.

Cheers,

Pine

Pine

*This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>

*One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
know.*

*—Catherine Munro*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcing Inspire Campaign Grantees [ In reply to ]
Thank you Liam for your nice comments.

Hasive

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Pine W <wiki.pine@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > > that be beneficial to that topic or would it simply be detrimental to
> all
> > > other topics?
> > >
> > > It seems the answer is that SPECIFICALLY INVITING people to apply for
> > > grants on a specific topic DOES draw out many and various good ideas.
> > > Without that specific invitation, it is likely that only a proportion
> of
> > > these would ever have been submitted, and an even smaller number
> actually
> > > funded.
> > >
> > > Furthermore, it don't believe any of the grant applications that were
> > > underway on other topics were delayed or negatively affected because of
> > > this project.
> > >
> > > So, congratulations WMF grants team on trialling an innovative and
> tricky
> > > idea. Let's hope the 16 projects prove to be successful!

*Hasive **Nurunnaby Chowdhury** :: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী **হাছিব*
Global User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive>
​
Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Member | GAC Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Grant_Advisory_Committee>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Director | Wikimedia Bangladesh Operations Committee
<http://www.wikimedia.org.bd>
​fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/itsNCH> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive | www.nhasive.com