Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships
Dear Wikimedians,

In order to encourage the expansion of knowledge, we’ve been considering
new ways to support and develop the work you do. Collaboration is an
essential part of the Wikimedia movement, and today, I’m excited to let you
know about a new addition at the Wikimedia Foundation that will support our
collaboration with like-minded organizations.

For some time now, we’ve planned to hire a Vice President of Strategic
Partnerships. Today, I am pleased to announce that Kourosh Karimkhany will
step into this role on March 30, 2015.

Kourosh will be responsible for crafting a strategy to grow long-term value
for Wikimedia projects through building meaningful partnerships, projects,
and relationships on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation. He will become
part of the C-level team and will report to Lisa Gruwell. Kourosh will also
oversee Wikipedia Zero, which will transition to the partnerships team.

The Wikimedia community has many fruitful and creative partnerships that
help support knowledge creation and sharing around the world. The
partnerships Kourosh will support will will help us better support these
partnerships and your work, as well as grow strategic initiatives we take
on at the WMF.

Kourosh was born in Iran and moved to the U.S. as a child with his family.
Today, he is an experienced digital media professional with a passion for
sharing information with the world. He started his career as a technology
journalist covering Silicon Valley for Bloomberg, Reuters and Wired. He
switched to the business side of media when he joined Yahoo as senior
producer of Yahoo News. Later, he led corporate development at Conde Nast
where he spearheaded the acquisition of Wired.com, Ars Technica and Reddit.
He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
an active angel investor and startup advisor.

In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
mission. The new name is the Advancement Department. To learn more about
the new role, visit the FAQ here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ

Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to
support our mission.

~~~~Lila
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome to the wikimedia movement, Kourosh. Looking forward to seeing the
partnerships and initiatives that can be grown that support our mission.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome, Kourosh!

Cristian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome Kourosh.

In Wikimedian spirit, i would like to take the opportunity to ask the silly
question: is the structure of what all titles in Wikimedia mean, described
somewhere? Because to be honest, I'm getting all confused about who ranks
what in the structure of directors, vice presidents, chiefs, heads,
managers and seniors. I was, silly me, always under the impression that a
Vice President was basically just below the ED - on the C-level.

I was looking for this info to be perhaps linked from the staff &
contractors page on wmfwiki, but i don't seem to be able to find it. Could
someone enlighten, and perhaps add it somewhere if not there yet? I recall
having asked this question also a few years back and that a list was made,
but I can't find it any longer...

Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:17 PM, Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian@gmail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Lodewijk: there is this interactive org chart, but I do not know how
official it is: http://orgcharts.wmflabs.org/#5085aa408fedf26b68000001/

*Med vänliga hälsningar,Jan Ainali*

Verksamhetschef, Wikimedia Sverige <http://wikimedia.se>
0729 - 67 29 48

*Tänk dig en värld där varje människa har fri tillgång till mänsklighetens
samlade kunskap. Det är det vi gör.*
Bli medlem. <http://blimedlem.wikimedia.se>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Lodewijk wrote:
>In Wikimedian spirit, i would like to take the opportunity to ask the
>silly question: is the structure of what all titles in Wikimedia mean,
>described somewhere? Because to be honest, I'm getting all confused about
>who ranks what in the structure of directors, vice presidents, chiefs,
>heads, managers and seniors. I was, silly me, always under the impression
>that a Vice President was basically just below the ED - on the C-level.
>
>I was looking for this info to be perhaps linked from the staff &
>contractors page on wmfwiki, but i don't seem to be able to find it. Could
>someone enlighten, and perhaps add it somewhere if not there yet? I recall
>having asked this question also a few years back and that a list was made,
>but I can't find it any longer...

Hi.

I think you're talking about an org chart here. The Wikimedia Foundation
used to have one, but they're kind of annoying to maintain and any public
version basically fell apart years ago. Last I saw, it was a tool on Labs,
but it's been through several iterations. The page histories (of the
article and the template) on wikimediafoundation.org will have references
to it if you go back a few years.

Re: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Staff_and_contractors

The template page includes a table of contents, which is not yet updated
to reflect this new department, but is still really helpful for
understanding the organization's structure nonetheless. Bonus: that page
also auto-expands the sections for faster and easier searching. Viewing
the template page instead of the article is a nice little hack for now.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Fantastic news and a great advancement - welcome Kourosh!

SJ

Samuel Klein @metasj w:user:sj +1 617 529 4266
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome Kourosh. (:

Can you give us some examples of partnerships that you will be developing
or supporting?

It would also be really interesting to hear how your role relates to the
kinds of institutional relationships that other departments have formed
over the years. I'd love to hear an overview sometime of how you hope to
develop these further in ways that are beneficial to the Wikimedia
community.

I hope that we will see you in Berlin!

Regards,

Pine

*This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>

*One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
know.**—Catherine Munro*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Well,

first of all, welcome Kourosh.

I'm looking forward to see how the reality of this exciting job description
gonna look like. For me this also sounds like a clear move to a more
politically positioned understanding of this aspect of the growing
importance of the Wikimedia-Movment globally. "Advancement Department"
sounds pretty neutral, but certainly it isn't at all.

When it comes to "collaboration with like-minded organizations" decisions
surely are also carried by a stronger public postioning of the values of
the movement. Some of the decisions in the past, especially when it comes
to collaborations with commercial internet players maybe need to be openly
and transparently re-evaluated.

If Kourosh is settled in I would like to see a global, transparent and open
discussion about our program "Wikipedia Zero" which is under global critic
by OpenWeb-NGOs and other worried members of the civil society in the US,
in the "Global South" and in Europe.

Wikipedia Zero which for me is a straight marketing element of some clever
telecoms to sell their mobile products in developing markets and therefore
infusing an user-experience of data-specific payment habits, needs to be
re-evaluated with a professional look that includes awareness of what
implications strategic partnerships can have on our core values.

The well-meant intentions which carried the Wikipedia Zero programme inside
WMF to the point where it is now maybe were a little starry-eyed. Let's not
forget that a zero-rated Wikipedia which can't connect to the linked
knowledge of the world is just a *Walled Wikipedia *and therefore a
questionable contribution to our core belief of giving free knowledge to
the people - by the people.

The intensity with which the global fight about net neutrality is lead
because of the commercial interests of the telecoms surely doesn't stop at
the markets of the Global South - therefore Wikimedia movement has to make
perfectly clear which line is walked on this central matter of a free and
open internet.

You see, Kourosh, the challenges are big and I'm looking forward to have an
experienced person overlooking the future developments in this field.

best regards and a good start

Jens Best

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome Kourosh to the Wikimedia family :)

Cheers

Ali Haidar Khan
FDC Member
Treasurer, Wikimedia Bangladesh

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:17:20 +0100
Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian@gmail.com> wrote:

> Welcome, Kourosh!
>
> Cristian

Welcome, Kourosh, and good luck!

Regards,

-- Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome to Kourosh! Wikimedians around the world have already been creating
partnerships under various programs including GLAMs and with universities,
institutions etc. This is rational from the sense that this new department
(Strategic Partnerships) would address all these issues along with further
ways for improvement. Looking forward to Kourosh and his team's endeavors,
hope they bring meaningful and impact-driven partnerships for Wikimedia
movement. :)

Tanweer
Executive member
Wikimedia Bangladesh

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@shlomifish.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 23:17:20 +0100
> Cristian Consonni <kikkocristian@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Welcome, Kourosh!
> >
> > Cristian
>
> Welcome, Kourosh, and good luck!
>
> Regards,
>
> -- Shlomi Fish

Tanweer Morshed
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.

The FAQ mentions that –

The new role is focused on creating value for the Wikimedia movement and on
supporting our ability to fulfil our mission. Value can be understood in
many different ways. We believe that it can be about relationships with
people, relationships with organizations, or in some cases, additional
financial resources.

Would it be possible to translate this into something more accessible? What
sorts of "additional financial resources" are we talking about, and who
would supply them to whom?
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Welcome, Kourosh!

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466@gmail.com> wrote:

> I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.
>
> The FAQ mentions that –
>
> The new role is focused on creating value for the Wikimedia movement and on
> supporting our ability to fulfil our mission. Value can be understood in
> many different ways. We believe that it can be about relationships with
> people, relationships with organizations, or in some cases, additional
> financial resources.
>
> Would it be possible to translate this into something more accessible? What
> sorts of "additional financial resources" are we talking about, and who
> would supply them to whom?

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury **Hasive :: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী **হাছিব*
Global User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive>
​
Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Member | GAC Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:PEG/Grant_Advisory_Committee>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Director | Wikimedia Bangladesh Operations Committee
<http://www.wikimedia.org.bd>
​fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/itsNCH> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive | www.nhasive.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
> I find the term "Advancement Department" has a somewhat Orwellian ring.

It's quite a normal term in the USA. For instance, the Council for
Advancement and Support of Education is the (global, but US-dominated)
professional body for university fundraisers.

Chris
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Saying that it is a "normal term in the USA" doesn't contradict the
impression Andreas has.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
The recent Newsweek story on the Wifione / IIPM admin corruption case[1]
has clear implications for Wikipedia Zero.

Wikipedia Zero creates hundreds of millions of passive Wikipedia users who:

- Cannot see the sources of a Wikipedia article (I believe SMS users cannot
even see which statements *are* sourced and to what)
- Cannot view alternative sources
- Cannot meaningfully edit Wikipedia (lacking access to new sources)

At the same time, Wikipedia Zero creates a monopoly position for Wikipedia
that makes the site an even greater target for manipulation by local
elites, who *do* enjoy full read/write access to Wikipedia. Such monopolies
are fundamentally incompatible with the values underlying the idea of a
free and open web. Monopolies ultimately result in *control* rather than
*freedom* of information.

The Wifione case illustrates that even in the English Wikipedia attempts at
manipulation, focused on topics that the average Wikipedia contributor has
little interest in or knowledge about, can be successful and remain
undetected for years. Small, regional-language Wikipedias are far more
unstable still, as the example of the Croatian Wikipedia demonstrated all
too clearly.

Wikipedia is far too vulnerable to become the gatekeeper for information in
developing countries -- if such a gatekeeper were even desirable (which it
is not).

To give another example, I see that Wikipedia Zero is available in
Kazakhstan.

Jimmy Wales recently asserted on Reddit that the Kazakh government "does
not control the Kazahk *[sic]* Wikipedia".[2]

The Kazakh government, however, seems to disagree with Jimmy Wales.[3]

The Kazakh Prime Minister's official website has stated since 2011 that the
Kazakh Wikipedia project "is implemented under the auspices of the
Government of Kazakhstan and with the support of Prime Minister Karim
Massimov", quoting the head of WikiBilim and 2011 Wikipedian of the Year,
who today holds the office of a Deputy Governor in the Kazakh government[4]
and is the Founding Director of a Brussels-based think tank, the "Eurasian
Council on Foreign Affairs", which is widely considered a PR front of the
Kazakh government.[5][6][7]

Is aiding the market dominance and penetration of such a source through
Wikipedia Zero in line with movement values? Is the type of collaboration
described on Wikimedia's Outreach page for Kazakhstan?[8] I don't think so.

I thought we were on the side of those fighting for freedom of speech, not
the side of those suppressing it.

It's a concrete example of Wikipedia Zero aiding an oppressive government
in the control of information -- not at some point in the future, but today.

For a thoughtful examination of the issues surrounding Wikipedia Zero, I'd
ask everyone to take 5 minutes of their time to listen to the presentation
Thomas Lohninger gave at the Chaos Communication Congress in December 2014,
"Net Neutrality: Days of Future Past?"[9] Time code 37:00 onward.

I would be glad to see the Wikimedia Foundation rejoin the ranks of those
fighting for freedom of speech, and a free and open web for all.

[1]
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/04/03/manipulating-wikipedia-promote-bogus-business-school-316133.html
[2] https://archive.today/nyt1z – for the entire discussion three, see
https://archive.today/V1uG4
[3] https://archive.today/7kSLO
[4] http://www.inform.kz/eng/article/2730173
[5]
http://www.silkroadreporters.com/2015/02/20/jack-straw-slammed-taking-job-kazakhstan/
[6]
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/jack-straw-criticised-for-accepting-parttime-job-paid-for-by-kazakhstan-10057426.html
[7] http://www.equaltimes.org/pr-firms-at-the-service-of-human
[8] https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Countries/Kazakhstan
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Education/Countries/Kazakhstan
[9]
http://media.ccc.de/browse/congress/2014/31c3_-_6170_-_en_-_saal_g_-_201412282145_-_net_neutrality_days_of_future_past_-_rejo_zenger_-_thomas_lohninger.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
I can agree on the dilemma you present.

But would not a better solution then the close down on Wikipedia Zero,
be to close down the projects that is not run "compatible with the
values underlying the idea of a free and open web"?.

I am (still) of the opinion that is is of utmost importance for the
movement and our brand that we start closing down projects. And not only
the 20-30 which are hijacked by unserious people but also the 50-100
which are not properly managed and infested with vandalism and unserious
articles

Anders

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
With Wikipedia Zero people have access to knowledge that they would not
have otherwise. It is well established that having information readily
available is an important indicator for further development. Not having
Wikipedia available is absolutely a worse situation than having it.

Your argument is imho a bleeding heart stance. Would it not be better if..
My answer is sure HOWEVER given that the objective of Wikipedia is to share
in the sum of all knowledge, your argument is decidedly secondary. Sources
may be important but they are secondary to having the information available
in the first place. As long as we have sources in full blown Wikipedia, as
long as it is WMF that provides the Wikipedia Zero content... what is your
point. Yes, ideally we want people to ensure that people know about
sources. When sources are just statements of fact and they are in turn not
accessible because of cost. What is your point in practical terms?

Wikipedia Zero is very much a fulfillment of our aspirations. Do not forget
who you are: white, privileged and well educated. What you propose is
taking away something that you take for granted. Not nice.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Dear Gerard,

your arguments are just emotional rhetorics. Saying that "white, privileged
and well educated" people aren't allowed to critize ways how
first-world-led telecoms (like Orange, Telenor) are spreading a wrong,
non-open "internet" in developing countries is just plain emotional
rhetoric far away from any fact.

Wikipedia Zero is NOT bringing the free knowledge of the world to the
people, it's bringing Wikipedia to the people, not more, not less. Also,
zero-rating is helping to establish user habits which are used to have
different prices for different kinds of data - That is the clearest
violation of net neutrality and therefore of an open and free web.

Ignoring this is just helping the (first-world-led) Telecoms to establish
NOT a free internet which also helped to create something like Wikipedia,
but a walled garden system where you pay for different data of even (as it
is the case e.g. in some parts of India) different websites. I think that
it is ignorant to profit only short-term by bringing a Walled Wikipedia to
the people and having Wikipedia in this exclusive deal in comparison to
establish a sustainable way to bring free knowledge (which is far more than
Wikipedia) to the people.

There must be another way to work for the value of "free knowledge for the
people" but to destroy net neutrality and the experience of an open web in
the very beginning at the same time. It is the duty of WMF to take care
also of the framework which enabled Wikipedia in the start. Ignoring this
and being proud of having a comfortable deal with some Telecoms is plain
wrong and irresponsible - especially for a free and open digital
development of the Global South.

best regards

Jens Best

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
I’m sorry, Andreas, but I cannot in good conscience support your stance calling for the closure of Wikipedia Zero, coming from a country that has so far benefited from the program not only in terms of the number of new readers that we have, but also potentially pave the way for more users as well.

While I understand the risks of the program in countries like Kazakhstan, you cannot possibly think that every country where Wikipedia Zero has been deployed would go so far as to actively manipulate information to keep readers ignorant. The Philippines prides itself for a strong culture of freedom of speech and we have Wikipedia Zero. I don’t see the Philippine government actively dictating the course of the projects’ evolution, so it isn’t fair that we would have to suffer from any loss of Wikipedia Zero because of what a totalitarian regime can do, when you don’t even materially benefit from the program’s existence.

I’ve become extremely annoyed at the insistence of Wikipedians in developed countries that Wikipedia Zero poses no net benefit to the movement, when in fact in developing countries it not only has helped bring greater awareness of Wikipedia, but also provides a conduit for passive readers to become Wikipedians as well. Having seen this first-hand (Wikipedia mobile pageviews in the Philippines jumped, based on what I’ve been told, after Wikipedia Zero was rolled out), it is not fair that you’re asking the developing world to sacrifice bringing knowledge to people simply because you Wikipedians in the United States, Western Europe or wherever have the luxury to actually dictate the finer points of net neutrality on your own terms. We don’t have that luxury when we have to pay sky-high data usage charges (and, in the Philippines’ case, sky-high data usage charges with onerous data caps!).

I am all for freedom of speech. I have always advocated for freedom of speech, and will continue to fight for it. But if your problem with Wikipedia Zero is that content could be warped to fit a certain state’s agenda, then the problem is not on your reader, but on us as a community. We HAVE to make more users to prevent this from happening, and you don’t do that when you shut out a potential base of new users because we think that Wikipedia Zero serves to keep people ignorant rather than challenges them to think. I think people, no matter where in the world they’re from, are smarter than that.

Seriously, I’m sick and tired of hearing people in the developed world tell us in the developing world that Wikipedia Zero brings no net benefit to us. Remember that Wikipedia Zero is a platform for distributing content—it doesn’t generate content on its own. If you have problems with the program, then the onus is on us as a community to fix it, since all I’ve been hearing from detractors of the program is that we’re filtering out content. Then why don’t we try harder to make our content even more inclusive, huh?

*rant over*

Thanks,

Josh

> [...]
>>> producer of Yahoo News. Later, he led corporate development at Conde Nast
>>> where he spearheaded the acquisition of Wired.com, Ars Technica and
>> Reddit.
>>> He also cofounded Food Republic in 2009, which was acquired in 2013. He's
>>> an active angel investor and startup advisor.
>>>
>>> In light of the expanded scope of the Fundraising team and the revamped
>>> partnerships team, we’re changing the team's name to better reflect their
>>> mission. The new name is the Advancement Department. To learn more about
>>> the new role, visit the FAQ here:
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WMF_Partnerships_FAQ
>>>
>>> Please join me in welcoming Kourosh as the newest member of the WMF
>>> leadership team. We have many exciting projects in 2015 and I’m looking
>>> forward to all the great things we will accomplish as we work together to

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

jamesjoshualim@yahoo.com <mailto:jamesjoshualim@yahoo.com> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
GerardM writes:

> With Wikipedia Zero people have access to knowledge that they would not
> have otherwise. It is well established that having information readily
> available is an important indicator for further development. Not having
> Wikipedia available is absolutely a worse situation than having it.
>
> [...]
> My answer is sure HOWEVER given that the objective of Wikipedia is to share
> in the sum of all knowledge, your argument is decidedly secondary. Sources
> may be important but they are secondary to having the information available
> in the first place. As long as we have sources in full blown Wikipedia, as
> long as it is WMF that provides the Wikipedia Zero content... what is your
> point. Yes, ideally we want people to ensure that people know about
> sources. When sources are just statements of fact and they are in turn not
> accessible because of cost. What is your point in practical terms?
>
> Wikipedia Zero is very much a fulfillment of our aspirations. Do not forget
> who you are: white, privileged and well educated. What you propose is
> taking away something that you take for granted. Not nice.

I agree with everything Gerard says here. My mission as a Wikimedian,
both during my tenure as an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation and
in my time as a volunteer Wikimedian, has been to get the world's
knowledge into everybody's hands for free. Wikipedia Zero is so
consistent with this primary goal that I value it even more highly
than network neutrality (which I also favor, as a general rule, in
countries with developed and humanely priced internet services).

It should be noted that the Federal Communications Commission, in its
recent Report and Order requiring network neutrality for American
telcos and service providers, expressly refused to draw a categorical
conclusion whether zero-rated services (including Wikipedia Zero)
harmed competition. Instead, the Commission said it would make
case-by-case determinations based on the particular services each
zero-rated service is providing. If it were shown that Wikipedia Zero
is suppressing competition from other encyclopedic knowledge bases or
suppressing sharing of knowledge, that would be something for the
Commission to consider -- but of course there are no facts that
support this argument, at least not yet.

I've spent the last two years working on internet-policy issues in
developing countries, from Myanmar to Cambodia to South Sudan, and my
personal experience has been that Wikipedia Zero is a profoundly
important developmental resource in developing countries, where the
key barrier to Wikipedia access (as a user or contributor) is the data
caps on the mobile devices that the vast majority of users need to get
access to the internet. Wikipedia Zero gets us past that barrier in
these countries. Yes, in an ideal world, perhaps, there might be an
argument against privileging Wikipedia Zero in this way -- but in an
ideal world everybody would have free access to Wikipedia already.

To get to an ideal world, we'll need everyone to have access to
Wikipedia (and to Wikimedia resources generally) -- not just those of
us in developed countries, but to everyone everywhere. Wikipedia Zero
is a strategic approach to expanding access for everybody in every
country. As we do this, we'll be creating incentives for developing
countries' telcos and internet providers to expand their access and
facilities in ways that will enable more and more citizens to fully
participate as users and contributors to Wikipedia. Any other approach
reminds me of the beginning chess player who looks at a board prior to
the first move and says "how do I get to checkmate from here?" The
experienced chess player knows you have to make a number of strategic
decisions and deployments in advance in order to make eventual victory
possible. Wikipedia Zero is one strategy that gets us to the end
result we all want to see.

Best regards,

--Mike Godwin
WMF General Counsel 1007-2010
Director of Innovation Policy and General Counsel, The R Street Institute

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Er, Mike, this is a minor point but your signature seems to indicate that
you were general counsel for over a millennium---very impressive!

Personally I think that Zero should be evaluated from an impact
perspective. While it's indisputable that it's strategically aligned with
the WMF mission, if the message isn't reaching the audience is strategic
alignment a good enough argument to keep chugging? The Foundation has taken
a lot of flak for taking stances like that---totally strategically aligned,
sure, but nil for impact. Seems to me that in its current form it's just
going to drag along---Zero either needs a clear procedural rethink or it
needs to be would down.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
If only my emails were wiki-editable. Thanks for the correction
regarding my affiliation.

"Seems to me that in its current form it's just going to drag
along---Zero either needs a clear procedural rethink or it needs to be
would down."

The only two possible choices, eh?

--Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Introducing Kourosh Karimkhany, Vice President of Strategic Partnerships [ In reply to ]
Hi Jens,

In the absence of any meaningful alternative, what should we do then? Close down Wikipedia Zero and let the developing world languish in the dark? We talk of a "more sustainable way to bring free knowledge (which is far more than Wikipedia)”, yet we’re not seeing anything coming out of this discussion.

I will be brutally honest to everyone in this mailing list: this entire discussion about Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality has become very patronizing against us in the developing world who benefit from the program. The fact that we’re having this discussion without developing world voices (other than myself) is already troubling in itself since, so far, every discussion about Wikipedia Zero that I’ve seen only includes those "white, privileged and well-educated people” who you defend.

And yet you guys talk as if you know what’s best for the developing world. That’s the tone that I’ve been sensing in this entire discussion thus far, and I’m sorry, but it’s not helpful. Please don’t speak as if you guys know what it’s like on the ground in Asia or Africa.

I’ve had to swallow my own pride just to accept the fact that net neutrality has to take the back burner to bringing more information out there to people. I have always believed in net neutrality as a means of ensuring a free and open Internet to everybody. But if you’re in a country like the Philippines where the majority of people don’t even have the luxury of going online (and if you do, it’s bloody expensive), then having access to some information—even if that information is imperfect—is still better than none at all, since at least we can still correct any misinformation that may arise. And as Wikipedians, we are in a position to do just that through ensuring that our content is well-monitored, neutral and comprehensive so that at least there’s a multitude of viewpoints present even if the information is coming from a single source.

We should make people in the developing world aware of net neutrality, yes, but we must also be careful to consider the existing socio-economic conditions of the countries where this program has been deployed. I am all for the sharing of knowledge and the free exchange of information for the greatest benefit, but we cannot have that discussion if people are not able to have access to the Internet in the first place. We cannot afford at this point to put the cart before the horse, and as I’ve mentioned earlier, in the absence of a meaningful alternative, this is the best we can do so far.

Also, just so you know: Wikipedia Zero, at least in this country, is being implemented by a local telecom with no discernible link to the big players like Orange or T-Mobile or Telenor. They view it so far as good CSR and not as a means of controlling the flow of information or wanting to make a profit. So yeah, at least for us it’s been good so far. If it happens though that things turn sour, then expect us to fight for our principles.

Thanks,

Josh