https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015
Date: May 14-17, 2015
Registration: Will open soon

Dear Wikimedia friends,

Thanks to the generous support of the Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia
Deutschland will be hosting the Wikimedia Conference from May 14-17,
2015 [1].

It is my pleasure to invite Wikimedia Affiliates to join us in Berlin
and I am delighted that the Funds Dissemination Committee and the
Affiliations Committee will also hold their meetings as part of this
conference. This will give us all the opportunity to discuss ideas,
exchange experience, build capacities, and shape the future of our
movement together. I am extending this invitation also to the board
and staff of the Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope that they again
choose to join us for a couple of productive days.

== Themes and program ==
The program team [2] has already kicked-off its planning process and
is now structuring the conference tracks: Capacity building, sharing
and collaboration, fundraising and finance, movement strategy. Team
members come from several entities and countries in the movement,
including the Wikimedia Foundation, and generously volunteered to
manage this process together. They will present the major goals and
schedule for the conference within the coming weeks.

== Participation and registration ==
Registration will open in the coming days. The eligibility criteria
for participating in the Wikimedia Conference 2015 have been aligned
to the Affiliates’ Agreements with the Wikimedia Foundation. Please
note that the criteria have changed compared to last year’s. Further
information on the eligibility criteria and registration will be
published on Meta [3].

Affiliates are asked to send delegates that are well-informed in
goings-on at the affiliate, able to confidently answer questions about
it and share experience from their group. They should also be
empowered to commit their group to involvement in proposed projects or
initiatives.

== Logistics ==
Our event team will shortly open the registration and send out further
information on logistical matters such as travel and accommodation
booking. Daniela Gentner will be the main contact for all questions
regarding the logistics, you can reach out to her via
wmcon@wikimedia.de.

On behalf of the Wikimedia Deutschland board, I am looking forward to
welcoming you in Berlin in May.

Best regards,
Nicole Ebber

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015/Programme_team
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015/Who_should_register%3F

--
Nicole Ebber
Referentin Internationale Beziehungen

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference - Come to Berlin in May 2015! [ In reply to ]
I would like to re-emphasize that there are *new criteria* for
participating in the annual Wikimedia Conference in Berlin. You can read
all about them here[1]. The current eligibility status of different
movement organizations (chapters, the thematic organization, and user
groups) is tracked here[2]. If your group is "not yet" eligible and you
don't take *very quick steps *to address the gap, your group will not be
invited to the conference this year.

If you have questions about this, please reach out to me.

A.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015/Who_should_register%3F
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2015/Overview_Eligibility_Statuses

Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference - Come to Berlin in May 2015! [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
I had a read and I would like to know how much time and effort is involved
in the reporting requirement. I honestly believe that the point of
reporting can be many things. There has to be a balance though between what
you ask for and what it costs to produce this information.

Has this question ever been addressed. Also with penalties riding on the
reporting, what is the benefit of this and what is the cost of people not
attending because of this insistence on compliance or else ?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference - Come to Berlin in May 2015! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 7:16 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hoi,
> I had a read and I would like to know how much time and effort is involved
> in the reporting requirement.

That absolutely depends on the type of entity and complexity of finances,
and on how neat its ongoing record-keeping is. For a small user group with
a few projects a year, no staff, and adequate record-keeping (e.g. on a
simple spreadsheet) in real time, a financial report can take as little as
20 minutes. For larger more complex entities, a financial report might
take hours or even more than a day.

The activity report, likewise, can be a single half-page for a small group
that has had 2-3 types of well-understood activities, or it can be a 20page
report with details, descriptions, graphs, models etc. Again, the more
real-time tracking you've made (perhaps in the context of a project grant,
or just your monthly or quarterly reports), the easier the annual reports
are.

Remember that the public annual activity report is an _already existing_
contractual obligation with all movement orgs. I.e. this moment in time is
not the first time groups are asked to do this; it is merely the first time
there might be real-world implications to remaining out of this basic level
of compliance for a long time.

> I honestly believe that the point of reporting can be many things. There
> has to be a balance though between what you ask for and what it costs to
> produce this information.

Agreed.

> Has this question ever been addressed.

Yes. We have revised our report forms several times, always to make them
clearer, crisper, and easier to just fill out, and we are letting the
smaller/lighter end of the scale be exceedingly flexible (e.g. there is no
set format or form for user groups' activity report. It literally can be a
half page listing a couple of meetups and an editathon).

> Also with penalties riding on the reporting, what is the benefit of this
> and what is the cost of people not attending because of this insistence on
> compliance or else ?

As you say just above, the benefits ("the point") of reporting "can be many
things". To us, beyond some basic level of due-diligence on our part in
terms of being reasonably assured funds were spent as intended, the main
benefits of reports are opportunities for learning and sharing what is
learned across relevant practitioners in the rest of the movement. Toward
that end, too, we have _replaced_ some reporting requirements with the
option(!) to compose a learning pattern based on your experience, rather
than submit a full report.

Since we consider this activity and basic compliance bar to be quite, quite
low, it is our position that any group that cannot meet it and has no
exceptional mitigating circumstances, is probably a group on which movement
resources would be better spent in mentorship and local support, than in
internatonal travel for a working meeting with active, practicing groups.
It is implicit in the fact we let groups return to compliance before
determining final eligibility to attend the conference that we think many
of the groups that were non-compliance when we first published this table
only need a little encouragement to get their act together and improve
their governance enough to meet the criteria.

We do intend to work with those groups that won't achieve compliance in
time to see how we (or other movement resources) can help them get back on
their feet.

A.