Sincerely,

Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator
On behalf of the Wikimania Steering Committee
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimania-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
Kudos to the team and to the jury for daring to try something totally
new & exciting for Wikimania 2016 that sounds just a little bit crazy.
:D I am hugely looking forward to being part of this -- and I think
everyone who signs up to come will do so in the spirit of exploration
& adventure in which this bid is undertaken.

I've been to many conferences, offsites, retreats and what have you.
The ones that stick most in my mind are the ones that combined an
interesting environment, challenges to overcome, and lots of rich,
intimate conversations, woven together into an unforgettable
experience. It sounds like Wikimania 2016 will have plenty of "all of
the above". :)

Erik

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
Congratulations to all people involved in this choice and, on behalf of Wikimédia France, special big congratulations to Wikimedia IT and Wikimedia CH who led it all \o/ !!

--
Emeric Vallespi
Vice President

Wikimédia France
www.wikimedia.fr | Twitter: @Wikimedia_Fr

emeric.vallespi@wikimedia.fr
Twitter: @evallespi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
Auguri!
Will be a peculiar but a successful Wikimania!

> Congratulations to all people involved in this choice and, on behalf of
> Wikimédia France, special big congratulations to Wikimedia IT and Wikimedia
> CH who led it all \o/ !!
>

> --
> Emeric Vallespi
> Vice President
>
> Wikimédia France
> www.wikimedia.fr | Twitter: @Wikimedia_Fr
>
> emeric.vallespi@wikimedia.fr
> Twitter: @evallespi
>
> > On 21 Jan 2015, at 00:24, Ellie Young <eyoung@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Wikimedians,
> >
> > On the recommendation of the Wikimania 2016 selection Jury Committee, we
> have accepted the proposal from the Esino Lario Italy team. The
> Wikimania Esino Lario team is composed mainly of volunteers. It is
> promoted by Wikimedia Italia and Wikimedia CH in partnership with Esino
> Lario city council, Ecomuseo delle Grigne, Pro Loco Esino Lario, Parco
> Regionale della Grigna Settentionale and the Esino Lario local associations
> and community. nThe proposal will be further vetted by the WMF staff in the
> coming months, after which time we hope to confirm the award. Please join
> us in congratulating Wikimania Esino Lario!
> >
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario
> >
> > We would also like to thank the team from Manila, Philippines for their
> efforts in putting together excellent proposal. As a volunteer-led
> movement, it is hugely encouraging to have so many who want to support
> Wikimania. The bidding process requires a substantial time investment, and
> we are most grateful for every team’s hard work.
> >
> > For those of you who are considering hosting in future years, we expect
> to issue the Request for Proposals for 2017 in September.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Ellie Young, WMF Conference Coordinator
> > On behalf of the Wikimania Steering Committee

*Iván Martínez*

*Wikimanía 2015 Chief CoordinatorUser:ProtoplasmaKid
@protoplasmakidhttp://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org
<http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org>*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Ivan Martínez <galaver@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On the recommendation of the Wikimania 2016 selection Jury Committee,
> we
> > have accepted the proposal from the Esino Lario Italy team.

Congratulations to the bold candidates and to the bold jury that accept
them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esino_Lario
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Esino_Lario

Esino Lario looks like a perfect location for an event like Wikimania, for
a community like Wikimedia. Decentralization is a key aspect of our
movement, and having events out of the usual global hubs is a necessity.

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
Congratulations on the official annoucement. I very much look forward to helping out with the education programming!
Leigh

[Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
A charming Northern Italian village of 775 people for a conference of 1,000.

Congratulations indeed on such a bold choice!!!

So where are people gonna sleep? And what's the nearest international
airport???

Tim Davenport
"Carrite" on WP
Corvallis, OR
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
If only the first and only link in the thread you're following up on
contained pointers to dedicated "journey" and "accomodation" pages!
That would've made these questions so much easier to answer. Indeed,
it would've made asking them quite clearly rhetorical and intended to
passive-aggressively poke, rather than an actual, genuine question.

Oh, look.[0][1]

[0] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Accommodation
[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2016_bids/Esino_Lario/Journey

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement regarding Host for Wikimania 2016 [ In reply to ]
Every village in the Alps have more visitors than inhabitants.

How may inhabitants do you think that Zermatt or Davos or Saint Moritz
have? Probably three times less than the capacity of hosting tourists.

The advantage of this seat is that there are a lot of houses for holidays
available to host wikipedians.

Regards

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 3:08 AM, Tim Davenport <shoehutch@gmail.com> wrote:

> A charming Northern Italian village of 775 people for a conference of
> 1,000.
>
> Congratulations indeed on such a bold choice!!!
>
> So where are people gonna sleep? And what's the nearest international
> airport???
>

> Tim Davenport
> "Carrite" on WP
> Corvallis, OR