Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH
Dear Wikimedia Community,

I am excited to announce that I am starting today as the
Wikipedian-in-Residence for NIOSH, the National Institute for Occupational
Safety and Health, a subsidiary of the CDC. NIOSH is a research institution
dedicated to the prevention of illness and injury related to work, and they
have a wealth of information just begging to be used by Wikimedia. Our
missions are very much aligned, especially with WikiProject Medicine, and
have the potential to create a huge impact worldwide.

As Wikipedian-in-Residence, I will be helping to connect NIOSH and the
WIkimedia communities, creating a WikiProject NIOSH, and helping to
organize content on occupational health and use NIOSH's public domain
resources to improve Wikimedia. I will not, in the foreseeable future, be
editing anything about NIOSH itself or any of its scientists. Nevertheless,
for full disclosure, I'll be placing a comprehensive COI notice on my user
page and keeping a separate account (as many other WIR's do) at
[[User:Emily Temple-Wood (NIOSH)]] on any project I'm working on.

I'm very excited to work on this project and am always happy to accept
feedback. You can read more about NIOSH at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Institute_for_Occupational_Safety_and_Health,
and see my personal userpage at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keilana.

All the best,
Emily Temple-Wood
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Dear Emily,

Congratulations!

OSH is a major concern in countries like India, especially when it is
linked to the livelihoods of millions of people who work in the informal
sector with little safeguards. With grossly inadequate regulation and
monitoring, free and open knowledge about OSH issues on Wikipedias could
have a significant intangible impact,

Best wishes,
Vishnu
[[User:Visdaviva]]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Dear Vishnu,

That is exactly the kind of impact we are hoping to have! Thank you!

-Emily

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Congratulations Emily! That sounds amazing.

On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Keilana <keilanawiki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedia Community,
>
> I am excited to announce that I am starting today as the
> Wikipedian-in-Residence for NIOSH, the National Institute for Occupational
> Safety and Health, a subsidiary of the CDC. NIOSH is a research institution
> dedicated to the prevention of illness and injury related to work, and they
> have a wealth of information just begging to be used by Wikimedia. Our
> missions are very much aligned, especially with WikiProject Medicine, and
> have the potential to create a huge impact worldwide.
>
> As Wikipedian-in-Residence, I will be helping to connect NIOSH and the
> WIkimedia communities, creating a WikiProject NIOSH, and helping to
> organize content on occupational health and use NIOSH's public domain
> resources to improve Wikimedia. I will not, in the foreseeable future, be
> editing anything about NIOSH itself or any of its scientists. Nevertheless,
> for full disclosure, I'll be placing a comprehensive COI notice on my user
> page and keeping a separate account (as many other WIR's do) at
> [[User:Emily Temple-Wood (NIOSH)]] on any project I'm working on.
>
> I'm very excited to work on this project and am always happy to accept
> feedback. You can read more about NIOSH at
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Institute_for_Occupational_Safety_and_Health
> ,
> and see my personal userpage at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keilana
> .
>
> All the best,
> Emily Temple-Wood

Heather Walls
Communications Design Manager I Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street I San Francisco, CA 94105
heather@wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
On 2 January 2015 at 21:00, Keilana <keilanawiki@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am excited to announce that I am starting today as the
> Wikipedian-in-Residence for NIOSH, the National Institute for Occupational
> Safety and Health, a subsidiary of the CDC.

Congratulations! CDC - does that make you the Wikipedian in Residence
for Ebola? ;-)

I'm sure you'll do well, but please let me know if I can offer any
help or advice - especially where the subject interests of NIOSH and
the Royal Society of Chemistry (where I am Wikimedian in Residence)
overlap.

As a matter of interest, how many US federal WiRs have there been now -
I know of Daniel at NARA; are there others?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Sort of - Ebola is definitely an occupational health hazard for health care
people! ;) And of course, I always appreciate advice!

I'm the second US Federal WIR as far as I can tell - Dominic was the first,
and, unless someone has been very under-the-radar (or I've had my head
under a rock), NIOSH is the first federal science/technology/medicine
agency with a WIR.

Thank you!

-Emily

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Congrats I'm really happy for you :-)

Steve Zhang

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Great news, Emily - congratulations!

Looking forward to see NIOSH materials flow into Wikimedia projects,
and to interactions between both communities.

d.
--
http://www.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de/en/institution/mitarbeiter/mietchen-daniel/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Daniel_Mietchen/Publications

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Great! Congratulations Emily!

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 9:11 AM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietchen@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Great news, Emily - congratulations!
>
> Looking forward to see NIOSH materials flow into Wikimedia projects,
> and to interactions between both communities.
>
> d.
> --
>
> http://www.naturkundemuseum-berlin.de/en/institution/mitarbeiter/mietchen-daniel/
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Daniel_Mietchen/Publications
> http://okfn.org
> http://wikimedia.org
>

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 10:56 PM, Keilana <keilanawiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sort of - Ebola is definitely an occupational health hazard for health
> care
> > people! ;) And of course, I always appreciate advice!
> >
> > I'm the second US Federal WIR as far as I can tell - Dominic was the
> first,
> > and, unless someone has been very under-the-radar (or I've had my head
> > under a rock), NIOSH is the first federal science/technology/medicine
> > agency with a WIR.
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > -Emily
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> Occupational
> >>
> >> Congratulations! CDC - does that make you the Wikipedian in Residence
> >> for Ebola? ;-)
> >>
> >> I'm sure you'll do well, but please let me know if I can offer any
> >> help or advice - especially where the subject interests of NIOSH and
> >> the Royal Society of Chemistry (where I am Wikimedian in Residence)
> >> overlap.
> >>
> >> As a matter of interest, how many US federal WiRs have there been now -
> >> I know of Daniel at NARA; are there others?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Andy Mabbett
> >> @pigsonthewing
> >> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive :: নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী হাছিব*
Global User: Nhasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Nhasive>
​
Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia
<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Member | IEG Committee, Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/People>
Director | Wikimedia Bangladesh Operations Committee
<http://www.wikimedia.org.bd>
​
fb.com/nhasive | @nhasive <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | Skype: nhasive
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
Congrats Emily!

Best,

- Enock
Wikipedian | twitter: @Enock4seth
Sent via Mozilla Thunderbird

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedian-In-Residence at NIOSH [ In reply to ]
It sounds awesome! Congratulations!