Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] 2015 Ombudsman Commission applications
Hello, all.

It's coming close to time for annual appointments of community members to
serve on the Ombudsman Commission. This commission works on all Wikimedia
projects to investigate complaints about violations of the privacy policy,
especially in the use of CheckUser tools, and to mediate between the
complaining party and the individual whose work is being investigated. They
may also assist the General Counsel, the Executive Director or the Board of
Trustees in investigations of these issues. For more on their duties and
roles, please see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ombudsman_commission

This is call for community members interested in volunteering for
appointment to this commission.

Commissioners should be experienced Wikimedians, active on any project, who
have previously used the CheckUser tool OR who have the technical ability
to understand the CheckUser tool and the willingness to learn it. They are
expected to be able to engage neutrally in investigating these kinds of
concerns and to know when to recuse when other roles and relationships may
cause conflict. (In the past, commissioners have turned in other roles that
could cause conflict, but per-case recusal is generally sufficient at our
current levels of staffing this role.)

Commissioners are required to identify to the Wikimedia Foundation and must
be willing to comply with the appropriate board policies, such as the
access to non-public data policy and the privacy policy. This is a position
that requires a high degree of discretion and trust.

If you are interested in serving on this commission, please drop me a note
detailing your experience on the projects, your thoughts on the commission,
and what you hope to bring to the role. Operating proficiency in English is
necessary; other languages are a plus, although not required - the OC is
international in scope. The commission is deliberately quite small, so
slots are limited, but all applications are appreciated. The deadline for
applications is January 1. Any timezone. :)

Please pass this invitation along to any users who you think may be
interested.

Thank you!

Maggie

--
Maggie Dennis
Senior Community Advocate
Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2015 Ombudsman Commission applications [ In reply to ]
Hello, all.

I just wanted to put out a reminder that the OC application period closes
on January 2nd. If you are interested in applying, please get your
application in on January 1st, any timezone. :) Thanks to those of you who
have already applied. I hope we'll be able to put together a strong team!

Again, please pass this invitation along to any users who you think may be
interested.

Best regards,

Maggie

--