Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising?
Hi,

I just got a message that the Finnish Police have asked the fi.wikipedia, by sending an email to the wikifi-admin@list.wikimedia.org, to give a written statement about their possible violation of the laws that regulate fundraising in Finland. There is a little news about this already online in English. Here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2014/02/07/finnish_police_probe_wikipedia_donation_requests

I chat about this with a lawyer friend and he was afraid that the police msy go after the volunteers that have participated in the fundraising, e.g. by translating the fundraising messages.

Is there any equivalent cases from other countries?

In Finland one needs a pre-given permission to do fundraising.

- Teemu

Teemu Leinonen
http://teemuleinonen.fi
+358 50 351 6796
Media Lab
http://mlab.uiah.fi
Aalto University
School of Arts, Design and Architecture
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Has anyone translated the email into English? Would be interesting to see
what it says...

Alex Monk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
It’s incredible that some governments think they "own" the language(s)
mainly spoken in their country: fi.wikipedia.org is in Finnish but not
related to Finland (non-Finnish people could visit fi.wikipedia.org, and
Finnish people could visit other language Wikipedias). And it’s sad if
they attack volunteers for a technical work, that would sound like the
DGSE affair.

~ Seb35

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1889/18890039001#L17P16b

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
My Finnish is hardly perfect, but the letter essentially outlines the
Finnish law regarding what is and what isn't money collection activities,
and then compares what goes on with fi.wikipedia.org with the relevant
Finnish statutes, concluding that the fundraising campaign is in fact a
money collection activity and thus needs a permit from the Finnish police.
They request that the webmaster of fi.wikipedia.org explains the purpose of
the fundraising text, and also furnishes the Finnish National Police Board
with information regarding the total sum of money that has been raised
through the text, at a date no later than the 21st of February. They also
say that additional details may be required. They indicate that it is
currently an administrative issue, but that the Police Board has the
authority to initiate investigations of criminal wrongdoing if the answers
of the webmaster of fi.wikipedia.org are unsatisfactory.

Best,
Kevin Gorman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Who exactly would the webmaster of fi.wikipedia.org even be?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
The Foundation. Which is why WMFI shouldn't try to reply to this except to
refer them on.

Cheers,
Craig

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
I suspect that the Finnish Police would consider whoever in charge of
wikifi-admin@list.wikimedia.org the webmaster; few people outside of our
world understand how Wikipedia works. I second forwarding them on to the
Foundation.

Best,
Kevin Gorman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
In Australia, we (Wikimedia Australia) had to get fundraising approval
before the 2010 fundraiser (when the chapters accepted and processed the
payments and then passed a share back to the Wikimedia Foundation). This
was made more complicated due to the fundraising laws being a state issue
rather than national and so we had to seek approval from each state, some
with different requirements than others (for example, some needed a member
in that state willing to act as a contact person).

When this arrangement ended and Wikimedia Foundation took on the
fundraising themselves, this was no longer a requirement due to the WMF not
being an Australian organisation. (Although we advised WMF to seek their
own legal advice to confirm this)

Your situation appears to be different for several reasons:
1) Your situation involves a group of users, not a chapter (the donation is
to a non-Finnish organisation)
2) The donation information is in a language specific to your country - and
so by targetting Finnish speakers, they were targetting Finland residents -
whereas the same language is spoken in Australia and the United States.

With #1 - given the number of smaller websites with a "Donate via Paypal"
button in the corner, I don't think this should be an issue.

The only thing that would shift this in the Finnish police's favour is #2 -
suggesting that Finns were involved in the fundraising - and as others have
said, this could quite easily be a person (or people) who the Finnish
government has no jurisdiction over (a national of another country who has
learned Finnish, for example). Unless the Finnish Government has some sort
of strange ownership or legal connection to the Finnish language...

(Dislcaimer: IANAL of course)

(BTW - I was amused that even Google translate failed to translate Nemo's
link the first time around!)

Regards,

Charles Gregory
(User:Chuq)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
I would dispute the suggestion the Finnish Wikipedia is specific to
Finland; I read it regularly and have never been to Finland. There are at
a bare minimum something like 300,000 fluent Finnish speakers who don't
live in Finland (and I don't think that's counting the portion of Swedes
who speak Finnish,) so although the fundraising banner probably primarily
attracted donations from people in Finland, it likely attracted plenty of
donations from other countries as well.

Best,
Kevin Gorman

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Most importantly for all this, the SERVERS are not hosted in Finland
(unless something snuck in there behind my back).

Under US and EU laws, I would think there's no Finnish jurisdiction over
where the servers are located.

If the Finnish Police are asserting authority over any website written in
their language, there's a problem.

If they think they're hosted in Finland, then there's just a quick
educational explanation pointing to the WMF server locations documentation.

In any case, pass this to legal@wikimedia.org

-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Of course it's not a strict 1:1 ratio! But I was comparing it to (for
example) English or Spanish, which the country of origin represent a
minority of all speakers worldwide.

Charles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Hello all,

We are handling this issue, and we are contacting the authorities to
resolve their questions.

If you receive any official inquires about fundraising on Finnish
Wikipedia, please direct them to the Wikimedia Foundation legal team, to me
or Andrei Voinigescu (avoinigescu@wikimedia.org).

Best,
Stephen

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel

*This message might have confidential or legally privileged information in
it. If you have received this message by accident, please delete it and let
us know about the mistake. For legal reasons, I may only serve as an
attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation. This means I may not give legal
advice to or serve as a lawyer for community members, volunteers, or staff
members in their personal capacity.*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
I love this thread - it make me think of Matti Wuori in the movie "The
man without a past"

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
On 8.2.2014, at 13.51, Jane Darnell <jane023@gmail.com> wrote:
> I love this thread - it make me think of Matti Wuori in the movie "The
> man without a past"

Heh :-) These days, I also miss Matti Wuori. :-'(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matti_Wuori

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Yes, he would definitely have enjoyed this one

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Apparently they got no response:
http://www.finlandtimes.fi/national/2014/03/01/5137/Wikipediafailstomeetdeadlineonpolicerequest

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
The plot thickens! Of course it would be interesting to know what the
average Finnish Wikipedia user knows about how Wikipedia works and
whether they realize upon donation that they are not just donating to
"their" Finnish (or Swedish) Wikipedia, but also to all of the other
projects...

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Le 01/03/2014 15:49, Jane Darnell a écrit :
> The plot thickens! Of course it would be interesting to know what the
> average Finnish Wikipedia user knows about how Wikipedia works and
> whether they realize upon donation that they are not just donating to
> "their" Finnish (or Swedish) Wikipedia, but also to all of the other
> projects...

Sure, still it's funny that I was replied nearly the opposite recently:
"Those editors are largely unaware of chapters and thorgs, and many are
surprised to learn that up to a quarter of donors' gifts are passed on
to them." !!
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:WMF_Board_meetings/2013-11-24/FAQ#I_thought_we_had_plenty_of_money._Isn.27t_the_WMF_growing_as_well.3F_Is_this_just_an_effort_to_curtail_chapter_growth.3F

That must be a matter of point of view...

--
Mathias Damour
49 rue Carnot

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Hi Alex,

I have checked with Legal. Our deadline for the response was Friday, and
our response was indeed filed yesterday. We received an email confirmation
from the authorities that the document had been received and we called them
as well to confirm safe receipt. It might of course have been that the
writer of the article contacted the authorities before we filed the
document. We are taking steps to correct this inaccurate report.

Best,
pb

*Philippe Beaudette * \\ Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 | philippe@wikimedia.org | :
@Philippewiki<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Hi Phillippe,

I noticed that the press release[1] had been made and says "despite a press
report in Finland that suggested we did not meet the deadline. That press
report has since been retracted and corrected"

However, when I browse to the report, it still appears uncorrected..

Alex

[1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Statement_on_WMF%27s_Finnish_fundraising

On 1 March 2014 17:46, Philippe Beaudette <philippe at wikimedia.org

*>* T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 | philippe at wikimedia.org
*>>>* On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Alex Monk <krenair at gmail.com
*>>* > Apparently they got no response:
*>* >
*>* >
*>* > On 10 February 2014 15:41, Jane Darnell <jane023 at gmail.com
*>* >
*>* > > Yes, he would definitely have enjoyed this one
*>* > >
*>* > > 2014-02-10 9:51 GMT+01:00, Leinonen Teemu <teemu.leinonen at
*>* > > > On 8.2.2014, at 13.51, Jane Darnell <jane023 at gmail.com
*>* > > >> I love this thread - it make me think of Matti Wuori in the movie
*>* "The
*>* > > >> man without a past"
*>* > > >
*>* > > >
*>* > > > Heh :-) These days, I also miss Matti Wuori. :-'(
*>* > > >
*>* > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matti_Wuori
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matti_Wuori>
*>* > > >
*>* > > > - Teemu
*>* > > >
*>* > > > --------------------------------------------------
*>* > > > Teemu Leinonen
*>* > > > http://teemuleinonen.fi <http://teemuleinonen.fi>
*>* > > > +358 50 351 6796 <%2B358%2050%20351%206796>
*>* > > > Media Lab
*>* > > > http://mlab.uiah.fi <http://mlab.uiah.fi>
*>* > > > Aalto University
*>* > > > School of Arts, Design and Architecture
*>* > > > --------------------------------------------------
*>* > > >
*>* > > > _______________________________________________
*>* > > > Wikimedia-l mailing list
*>* > > > Wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* > > > Unsubscribe:
*>* > > > <mailto:wikimedia-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* > >
*>* > > _______________________________________________
*>* > > Wikimedia-l mailing list
*>* > > Wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* > > Unsubscribe:
*>* > > <mailto:wikimedia-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* > >
*>* > _______________________________________________
*>* > Wikimedia-l mailing list
*>* > Wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* > Unsubscribe:
*>* > <mailto:wikimedia-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* >
*>* _______________________________________________
*>* Wikimedia-l mailing list
*>* Wikimedia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
*>* Unsubscribe:
*>* <mailto:wikimedia-l-request at lists.wikimedia.org
*>
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Stryn@Wikimedia <strynwiki@gmail.com> wrote:

> The corrected report seems to be
>
> http://www.finlandtimes.fi/national/2014/03/02/5152/Report-submitted-to-police-duly,-says-Wikimedia
>
> Regards,
>

> *Stryn*

Wow, that's one hell of a correction. Good on Finland Times.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Statement for the police about the fundraising? [ In reply to ]
Heh. So the Wikimedia representative was in Finland?

Still a bit of correction coming, I think.

Risker/Anne