Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org?
On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Yuri Astrakhan <yastrakhan@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> http://m.wikipedia.org used to be a hard-coded redirect to English
> en.m.wikipedia.org, except for the users in the Zero program. We now have
> an ability to have complex redirection for that domain. How do you think
> m.wikipedia.org should behave?
>
> We could redirect m. to ...
> * the current www.wikipedia.org, which seems to work pretty well on the
> smaller device screens
> * send users to the main page of the user's default language - based on
> the browser settings (Accept-Language header) - and later possibly even
> based on user's own language prefernces
> * ...
>
> Obviously it should be similar for other projects like wikinews, etc.
>
> I am not a big fan of building a full blown page at the m. URL, as that
> would involve much more work without a clear benefit - there are already
> www and main pages available, why build another one.
>
> Thanks!
> --Yuri

Completely agree that building a new page would be silly, we can just adapt
the portals themselves (already editable on meta) with some mobile specific
styling if it becomes a problem I think.

Personally I'd be a fan sending it to the main 'wikipedia.org' type landing
page. Couple reasons (some larger then others):

* I've never really been a fan of assuming that they want to go to a
specific languages (biggest reason)
* Finding 'other' languages on the main page of wikis (both mobile and not)
is possible but significantly easier on the main portal screen.
* I kinda like the idea of driving home, to anyone who visits that portal
at least, how many different languages we have. I feel like it could take
their fancy to check out some of the ones they may not have before (either
now or later).

James
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org? [ In reply to ]
I agree with James. I'd like to m.wikipedia land up at a portal with a
language list and selector.

Sent from the touchscreen equivalent of a Nokia 1100, pardon the sender.
--
Srikanth Ramakrishnan,
Treasurer.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
srik.ramk@wikimedia.in> wrote:

> I agree with James. I'd like to m.wikipedia land up at a portal with a
> language list and selector.

+1
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org? [ In reply to ]
I'd keep it redirecting to http://www.wikipedia.org/ which I worked
previously on to optimise for mobile.

The only difference I'd make to the existing homepage is to reverse
the media queries. Currently media queries are used to optimise the
page for mobile phones. Unfortunately however if you have an old phone
that doesn't support media queries you will get the old website.

What would actually be better is to make mobile the default and use
media queries for desktop computers to apply styles to turn the page
into a more desktop friendly view. All modern browsers on desktop
support media queries [1] and update more frequently then mobile
devices. The only browsers you'd have to worry about is IE6-8 but
there are conditional css tricks to get around this problem.

I think previously I worked with Timo (Krinkle) to get this up and running.

[1] http://caniuse.com/css-mediaqueries

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
> srik.ramk@wikimedia.in> wrote:
>
>> I agree with James. I'd like to m.wikipedia land up at a portal with a
>> language list and selector.
>>

> +1

Jon Robson
http://jonrobson.me.uk
@rakugojon

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org? [ In reply to ]
Ok, so it seems the redirect to WWW would be better than language
auto-detect.

Before I switch it from the English mobile (current) to WWW, we have to
make sure that WWW is ready - as that would affect all mobile users. Jon,
how much work do you think that would be?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [WikimediaMobile] Where to redirect m.wikipedia.org? [ In reply to ]
www.wikipedia.org sure. All these lang detectors can can not work
properly in mobile devices and users shall have opportunity to have
overriding settings for this site (e.g. i would like to see wiki sites
in Ukrainian but my prefered language in browser is Russian for several
reasons).

--Base

06.12.2013 7:11, James Alexander написав(ла):