Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki
Dear friends

It is my pleasure to announce the launch of a new project, "Kumusha
Takes Wiki".

Kumusha Takes Wiki is a project that aims at activating communities
across Africa to create and contribute freely-licensed information,
texts, images and media about their communities (villages, townships,
suburbs, inner cities, etc). It will use community journalism to gather
community-relevant information on heritage, culture, notable persons,
geographical features, among other things. It will give each community
an online presence that is 'owned' by the community, provide information
that can be pulled into Wikipedia, Wikimedia projects or OpenStreetMap
databases, and it hopes to add immeasurably to the understanding of
Africa to every human being on the planet (from the people in the
village to the person in New York, Mumbai or Milan). This project gives
a public voice to communities across Africa, empowering them to share
their own histories and, through training, to acquire valuable and
transferable skills.

The project was designed by Isla (South Africa) and I (France), with the
support of Iolenda (Italy) (yeahhhh, three wikiwomens !)

Without going much into details (see links below), let's say that this
project will involve Wikipedians in Residence in two African countries
(Ivory Coast and Uganda), training in South Africa, local events in the
two above listed countries and a big photographic contest involving the
entire African continent.
More information here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kumusha_Takes_Wiki (available in French
and English)
For those unaware, the official languages of Uganda are English and
Swahili, whilst the official language of Ivory Coast is French. Our
project being bilingual is not a bug, it's a feature :)

I should probably outline that our goal is not so much about getting
african content in Wikipedia but more about outreach and awareness in
the field.
As such, the Wikipedians in Residence will not so much focus on getting
in touch and establishing partnerships with institutions in big cities
so that content may be freed and added to our projects (see the current
wikipedia description of a WiR:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedian_in_Residence).
Our "Residence" will be the "Kumusha" (a Shona term meaning "the place
where you come from"). Our WiR will rather try to activate the local
communities to help them discover our projects and share their heritage
with us. As such, the events are more likely to take place in little
villages, suburbs, shantytowns, camps, agricultural communities, than in
big cities. Participants are more likely to be teenagers with cellphones
than middle age men in suits. Data collected is perhaps more likely to
be geographical and social related data about a little city than high
level politics.

The project is financially supported by the Orange Foundation (France)
for Ivory Coast and Uganda... starting 1st of October !
A good part of the original submission made last spring is available
here for those interested :
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Activate_Africa_(Orange_Foundation)

I am very glad to have the opportunity to work on that project :) It is
a long way from my presentation back in Wikimania 2005 (Wikimedia
projects in the developing world:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Presentation-FD1)
As for Isla, she is involved in the WikiAfrica project
(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiAfrica_Cameroon) through the Africa
Centre, and some of you met her at Wikimania Hong Kong where she lead a
panel about Activating Africa
(https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Activating_Africa).

Our twitter handle is @KumushaWiki

You are naturally welcome to comment, criticize, relay, participate,
support and copy :)

Anthere

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
2013/10/2 Florence Devouard <anthere9@yahoo.com>:
> The project was designed by Isla (South Africa) and I (France), with the
> support of Iolenda (Italy) (yeahhhh, three wikiwomens !)

The correct spelling of her name is Iolanda (with an "i" and an "a") ^_^

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
Hi Florence,
How much of the information is likely to be usable in Wikipedia? Will there
be any requirement for reliable references, NPOV and NOR?
Will photo-uploads go to commons?
Regards,
Peter Southwood

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/13 3:29 PM, Cristian Consonni wrote:
> 2013/10/2 Florence Devouard <anthere9@yahoo.com>:
>> The project was designed by Isla (South Africa) and I (France), with the
>> support of Iolenda (Italy) (yeahhhh, three wikiwomens !)
>
> The correct spelling of her name is Iolanda (with an "i" and an "a") ^_^

I did put an "I", did I not ?

But right... a :)
Sorry

Flo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
Hi Peter

Photo-upload, certainly as much as possible to Commons indeed. That was
part of the discussion indeed because the OF was interested in funding a
mobile application that would be super high simple to upload photos (in
particular with regards to licensing) but would also provide simple
tools within the application (such as cropping, light balance and so
on). But now that we have the Commons Mobile Application, I think it not
a priority.
With regards to licensing, I thought it funny that some people would
consider the current application as "complex" with regards to licenses
choice. When I first downloaded it and tested it, I was quite horrified
by the limited choices...
Of course, there will be some work to do around licensing issues (such
as a simple to read doc to explain IP rights and conditions in various
African countries).

With regards to text content, we already planned to have places to host
some of the content because I'm pretty sure some of it will not fit in
wikipedia with regards to its rules. Isla and I will probably have
differing views on this because she is used to working in an artistic
environment whilst I am primarily a rather pragmatic engineer. Let me
share some of the info we put on the proposal:

The geographical article about Cote d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast) is very short
and generic: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Géographie_de_la_Côte_d%27Ivoire
The English version is hardly better:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_Ivory_Coast
A list of Ivory Coast communities has actually been created (see
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_communes_de_Côte_d%27Ivoire) but
most articles are hardly more than placeholders (see
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacanda for the French version and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacanda for the English version).

In the past 11 years I have been on Wikipedia, I have discovered that
one of the thing newbies love to contribute are articles related to
their near life-environment. In short, their village, their city, their
neighborhood. It is right now getting much tougher to suggest newbies to
fill up some data about their city when they live in France or the US
because a lot is already there.

But look out a few articles related to villages or cities in Ivory
Coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboisso-Comoé
(navigate through the cities listed at the bottom). That's MISERABLE.
Look at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Populated_places_in_Lagunes to
see how are described "populated" places... jeeeee.

I actually do not fear too much "original research" because if Wikipedia
does not like it, we can put stuff elsewhere (including on non wikimedia
sites). We can create a wikibook to host stories from a famous griot for
example, or the coverage of an event on Wikinews. We can probably work
on Wikivoyage. Everything is red there...
https://fr.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Cote_d%27ivoire (and trust me if I tell
you that this page is laughable... under the paragraph "travel by
boat/plane" it is written "There is a magnificent view, that's
extraordinary"

Yeah right :)

I actually do not fear NPOV too much because we can explain what it is
about. It would be no different from any other outreach project,
whatever the country !

What I could fear is the lack of sources. Indeed, there is a chance that
if inhabitants improve the article about their village, they will have a
hard time to prove by sources that there are about 500 inhabitants there
and that the primary resource is this and that crop. We can rely on
strong sources in France. Maybe not so in Ivory Coast.

At this point, it will be up to the community to decide if they prefer
to keep totally empty articles such as now, or if they can tolerate a
number of inhabitants with no source.

Best

Flo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
Hi Florence,
No problems with OR for Wikivoyage, which is why I didnt ask...
This would be a great opportunity to fill in some of the blank spaces.
Perhaps the project could make use of some of the section headings used in
Wikivoyage to encourage contributors to provide the specific information
that would be useful to the project. Not exclusively of course, but it
would make the information much more accessible for re-use, and it might
encourage the contributors if they see that their work is appreciated by
another project. We are particularly short of good images for African
destinations.
Cheers,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
On 02.10.2013 14:03, Florence Devouard wrote:
> Dear friends
>
> It is my pleasure to announce the launch of a new project, "Kumusha
> Takes Wiki".

Hi Florence,

you may want to look at WikiVoyage as well. There, we badly need
reasonable info on Africa, and it can come without sources as soon as it
is not obvious fairy tales. (It is a pity that Russia never had African
colonies, so that the Russian Wikivoyage can not immediately benefit
from the project).

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod@mccme.ru>wrote:

> On 02.10.2013 14:03, Florence Devouard wrote:
>
>> Dear friends
>>
>> It is my pleasure to announce the launch of a new project, "Kumusha Takes
>> Wiki".
>>

> Hi Florence,
>
> you may want to look at WikiVoyage as well. There, we badly need
> reasonable info on Africa, and it can come without sources as soon as it is
> not obvious fairy tales. (It is a pity that Russia never had African
> colonies, so that the Russian Wikivoyage can not immediately benefit from
> the project).

It might also be worth looking at Wikinews.
https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Africa is our category on English
Wikinews. (
https://ru.wikinews.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F:%D0%90%D1%84%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0
is
Russian.) https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf/Wikinews has some
documents created on editing that might be useful for new contributors.
Some one from Wikinews would probably be more than happy to customize
learning materials for the project to local needs.

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

--
twitter: purplepopple
blog: ozziesport.com
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
Nod

I was thinking that it could be an interesting idea to get in touch with
local touristic agencies because it is certainly of their interest to
make a little bit more information about their area available.
I have a French friend for example, who is a geologist and living in a
nearby country, and propose those "nature-related" trecks. I think he
could give me a feedback on such an idea.

Flo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
On 10/2/13 9:04 PM, Laura Hale wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <putevod@mccme.ru>wrote:
>
>> On 02.10.2013 14:03, Florence Devouard wrote:
>>
>>> Dear friends
>>>
>>> It is my pleasure to announce the launch of a new project, "Kumusha Takes
>>> Wiki".
>>>

>> Hi Florence,
>>
>> you may want to look at WikiVoyage as well. There, we badly need
>> reasonable info on Africa, and it can come without sources as soon as it is
>> not obvious fairy tales. (It is a pity that Russia never had African
>> colonies, so that the Russian Wikivoyage can not immediately benefit from
>> the project).
>

> It might also be worth looking at Wikinews.
> https://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Category:Africa is our category on English
> Wikinews. (
> https://ru.wikinews.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F:%D0%90%D1%84%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0
> is
> Russian.) https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf/Wikinews has some
> documents created on editing that might be useful for new contributors.
> Some one from Wikinews would probably be more than happy to customize
> learning materials for the project to local needs.
>
> Sincerely,
> Laura Hale

Great idea !

Thanks Laura !

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Florence Devouard <anthere9@yahoo.com>wrote:

> On 10/2/13 9:04 PM, Laura Hale wrote:
>

>> It might also be worth looking at Wikinews.
>> [..]

documents created on editing that might be useful for new contributors.
>> Some one from Wikinews would probably be more than happy to customize
>> learning materials for the project to local needs.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Laura Hale
>>

> Great idea !

I think that would be setting people up for disappointment. Consider the
high bar set out in Laura's own (recommended reading) essay on Wikinews:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/The_Wikinewsie_Group/Newsletter/3/What_news_is_not

It is no less exacting than the norms of Wikipedia, and is not an obvious
companion to the much looser space Florence was describing in the original
post on this thread.

A.
--
Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
You could do that, but we find that tourist agencies tend to misrepresent
their regions by misleading advertising. gross exageration and vague
descriptions. You may be lucky.
Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Kumusha Takes Wiki [ In reply to ]
Certainly a potential problem.
This said, having worked with both communication and touristic agencies,
I *much* prefer working with touristic agencies.

The main problem with touristic agencies is the language they tend to
use. They have an habit of adding flowers and honey in their text but
the main thing to deal with is to make them realize the type of writing
must be different. If the worker has been rather trained as a
journalist, he gets the difference rather quickly once explained and can
tone down.

The communication teams have different goals: they try to make bad
information disappear, push good one, add irrelevant details... but the
way they write text is quite similar to our. They have orders to make
sure certain things are there and others are not, but often, they do not
really care the way it is phrased. It is more sneaky and complex to deal
with.

I prefer working with touristic-minded people.