Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots)
Yesterday sv:wp reached 1 M articles. The one who did the passing was a
bot generated article of a butterfly
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erysichton_elaborata.

The bot behind this article is Lsjbot who creates articles from the
database Catalogue of Life
http://www.catalogueoflife.org/services/res/2011AC_26July.zip which
(complemented by other databases) which holds data of around 1.5 million
species. The bot genrates about 5000 new articles per day and has
generated just under 400 000 of the sv:wps million and continues...

The guy who runs he bot is a member of the Swedish chapters board
http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kandidater_2013/Sverker_Johansson and is in
his civil life a University teacher. In this capacity he is also a guest
lecturer at the university of the Phillipines where he stayed the last
couple of months (and the bot was on hold). He is there active in
Cebuano-Wikipedia http://ceb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unang_Panid and
supporting their local community, and he is now running his bot on their
wikipedia as well as on the Warai-Warai Wikipedia
http://war.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syahan_nga_Pakli. So perhaps at the end of
the year these two language versions will also pass the 1 million mark!

Anders
PS out other major botgenerating effort of all lakes in Sweden is also
making very nice progress, done 25% of all DS

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Congratulations to the swedish wikipedians!

2013/6/16 Anders Wennersten <mail@anderswennersten.se>:
> Yesterday sv:wp reached 1 M articles. The one who did the passing was a bot
> generated article of a butterfly
> http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erysichton_elaborata.
>
> The bot behind this article is Lsjbot who creates articles from the database
> Catalogue of Life
> http://www.catalogueoflife.org/services/res/2011AC_26July.zip which
> (complemented by other databases) which holds data of around 1.5 million
> species. The bot genrates about 5000 new articles per day and has generated
> just under 400 000 of the sv:wps million and continues...
>
> The guy who runs he bot is a member of the Swedish chapters board
> http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kandidater_2013/Sverker_Johansson and is in his
> civil life a University teacher. In this capacity he is also a guest
> lecturer at the university of the Phillipines where he stayed the last
> couple of months (and the bot was on hold). He is there active in
> Cebuano-Wikipedia http://ceb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unang_Panid and supporting
> their local community, and he is now running his bot on their wikipedia as
> well as on the Warai-Warai Wikipedia
> http://war.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syahan_nga_Pakli. So perhaps at the end of the
> year these two language versions will also pass the 1 million mark!
>
> Anders
> PS out other major botgenerating effort of all lakes in Sweden is also
> making very nice progress, done 25% of all DS

Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Congratulations!!!

Tonmoy

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Well, precisely to the bots. But we can congratulate the Swedish
Wikipedians on more than 500k manually created articles:
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/BotActivityMatrixCreates.htm

Best regards
Martin

2013/6/16 Patricio Lorente <patricio.lorente@gmail.com>

> Congratulations to the swedish wikipedians!
>
> 2013/6/16 Anders Wennersten <mail@anderswennersten.se>:
> > Yesterday sv:wp reached 1 M articles. The one who did the passing was a
> bot
> > generated article of a butterfly
> > http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erysichton_elaborata.
> >
> > The bot behind this article is Lsjbot who creates articles from the
> database
> > Catalogue of Life
> > http://www.catalogueoflife.org/services/res/2011AC_26July.zip which
> > (complemented by other databases) which holds data of around 1.5 million
> > species. The bot genrates about 5000 new articles per day and has
> generated
> > just under 400 000 of the sv:wps million and continues...
> >
> > The guy who runs he bot is a member of the Swedish chapters board
> > http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kandidater_2013/Sverker_Johansson and is
> in his
> > civil life a University teacher. In this capacity he is also a guest
> > lecturer at the university of the Phillipines where he stayed the last
> > couple of months (and the bot was on hold). He is there active in
> > Cebuano-Wikipedia http://ceb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unang_Panid and
> supporting
> > their local community, and he is now running his bot on their wikipedia
> as
> > well as on the Warai-Warai Wikipedia
> > http://war.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syahan_nga_Pakli. So perhaps at the end
> of the
> > year these two language versions will also pass the 1 million mark!
> >
> > Anders
> > PS out other major botgenerating effort of all lakes in Sweden is also
> > making very nice progress, done 25% of all DS

> Patricio Lorente
> Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
> Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Wikimedia Deutschland e. V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin

Telefon 030 - 219 158 26-0
www.wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
grattis mina kompisar!
*Jag känner en bott, hon heter Lsjbot, Lsjbot heter hon...*

It looks like Polish will be the next to hit the symbolic number:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wikipedias#100_000.2B_articles

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Congratulations swedish wikipedians!!!!

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive*
Bangladesh Ambassador | Open Knowledge Network Foundation
(OKFN)<http://www.okfn.org>
Auto-confirmed, Reviewer & Roll backer Editor | Bangla
Wikipedia<http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:nhasive>
Treasurer & Coordinator (PR) | Bangladesh Open Source Network
(BdOSN)<http://www.bdosn.org>
Coordinator (PR) | Society for the Popularization of Science, Bangladesh
(SPSB) <http://www.spsb.org>*
*Central Team MOVers | Bangladesh Mathematical Olympiad Committee
(BdMO)<http://www.matholympiad.org.bd>
Facebook: fb.com/nhasive | Twitter:
@nhasive<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive>| Skype: nhasive |
www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
I think that Anders is saying that the result of Wikimedia Swedish is
due to a work of bots and to a work of people.

It means that this result is contrary to the WMF strategy which would
have more people and more contributors.

The next millions of articles will be reached by Polish Wikipedia but
also by cebuan Wikipedia and by Warai-Warai Wikipedia.

May be it's the time to have only bots to write in Wikipedia? I hope
that in future the number of articles will be counted considering at
least a small content ad not only a template in a page, because the use
like this will discourage the communities of editors.

Regards

On 16.06.2013 13:30, Anders Wennersten wrote:
> Yesterday sv:wp reached 1 M articles. The one who did the passing was
> a bot generated article of a butterfly
> http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erysichton_elaborata.
>
> The bot behind this article is Lsjbot who creates articles from the
> database Catalogue of Life
> http://www.catalogueoflife.org/services/res/2011AC_26July.zip which
> (complemented by other databases) which holds data of around 1.5
> million species. The bot genrates about 5000 new articles per day and
> has generated just under 400 000 of the sv:wps million and continues...
>
> The guy who runs he bot is a member of the Swedish chapters board
> http://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Kandidater_2013/Sverker_Johansson and is
> in his civil life a University teacher. In this capacity he is also a
> guest lecturer at the university of the Phillipines where he stayed
> the last couple of months (and the bot was on hold). He is there
> active in Cebuano-Wikipedia http://ceb.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unang_Panid
> and supporting their local community, and he is now running his bot on
> their wikipedia as well as on the Warai-Warai Wikipedia
> http://war.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syahan_nga_Pakli. So perhaps at the end
> of the year these two language versions will also pass the 1 million
> mark!
>
> Anders
> PS out other major botgenerating effort of all lakes in Sweden is also
> making very nice progress, done 25% of all DS

Ilario Valdelli
Wikimedia CH
Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Switzerland - 8008 Zürich
Tel: +41764821371
http://www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Impressive numbers. Congrats.

Can we have those species stubs and lakes in English Wikipedia?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
2013/6/16 Ilario Valdelli <valdelli@gmail.com>

> I think that Anders is saying that the result of Wikimedia Swedish is due
> to a work of bots and to a work of people.
>
> It means that this result is contrary to the WMF strategy which would have
> more people and more contributors.
>
> The next millions of articles will be reached by Polish Wikipedia but also
> by cebuan Wikipedia and by Warai-Warai Wikipedia.
>
> May be it's the time to have only bots to write in Wikipedia? I hope that
> in future the number of articles will be counted considering at least a
> small content ad not only a template in a page, because the use like this
> will discourage the communities of editors.

I would say our experience is that it doesn't affect the number of human
editors at all in any way. A couple of people run bots that create very
short articles about taxons or other stuff that, to be honest, probably
wouldn't have been created otherwise. These articles have very few readers.
Why on Earth would this discourage us?

Our main problem is that browsing Swedish Wikipedia using the "random
article" button isn't as fun as it used to be. That's probably fixable.

//Johan Jönsson
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
I meant we should give credit to the extremely clever PEOPLE behind the
bots. And stop handling proper bot generated article as second class.
Their data is actually better verified then most of the others

And what we find is that the bots cannot build knowledge (which is our
aim) without the existence of very sound "ground" articles. What is the
value of a botgenereted lake article if the adm area it lies in is missing?

And in Swedish Wikipedia the botgenerated articles has meant a boom to
the community morale. To work with an article of a place or adm area
feels much better when it is used by and using the botgerneted lake article

Is it a coincidence that we now see the growth of these competent
botgenerated article in nl:wp, sv.wp and it:wp? Not the top five but
very alert and half big communities. (next one seems to be Catalan and
norweigian)

There exist a world outside the big ones, where we are eager to learn
from each other and make good progress in our common goal, free
knowledge to all!

Anders

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Article count milestones are nice!
However, I remind those who were distracted in 2008 that article count
is a largely irrelevant piece of our statistics since 2008; both
stats.wikimedia.org and www.wikipedia.org (plus the other project
portals) don't use it at all to "rank" projects, etc.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Top_Ten_Wikipedias>

Anders Wennersten, 16/06/2013 15:32:
> Is it a coincidence that we now see the growth of these competent
> botgenerated article in nl:wp, sv.wp and it:wp?

{{citation needed}}
To me it seems the other wikis are rather stable. There is no wiki in
top ten with 50 % bot created articles and after sv.wiki (13th) you have
to reach positions 20th (vi) and 24th (vi) to find similar amounts.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Milestones are nice. They're one big reason for celebrating,
once in a while. There are lots of others, but not all are this
definable and publicly palatable. Quality projects of various
kinds are ongoing all the time, and we need different kinds of
"carrots" to keep up the community interest at svwp. We need to
communicate our efforts in different dimensions, and this was
also the idea in our press release statement some hours ago.
Quantity and quality are no born enemies to each other, IMHO.

Personally I enjoy making small articles (in various subjects)
larger and better. I think this is a common motivator to many of
us, where the article creation can be a hassle with all the
multidimensional stuff involved. Lsjbot makes my enlarging a bit
easier. And the fact that Lsjbot now creates a fully sourced and
categorised Swedish-language "wikispecies" inside of Wikipedia
is a bonus.

Best of wishes,
/Per A.J. Andersson
(user: Paracel63)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Payin´ peanuts, gettin´ monkeys

Servin´ facts, gettin´ idiots.

An unmanageable, not maintainable mass of articles is the best way to
breed idiots. Because facts do not create knowledge.

If that is our goal, then automatically created Wikipedias ar the best
way to solve one of our biggest problems, namely the permanent loss of
authors.

Maybe it is completely sufficient if you know that somewhere facts are
stored in a most possible stupid form.

I started more than fifty years ago learning about facts, facts without
understanding. But nine years ago I startet to learn something about
knowledge, understanding and correlations.

Why do not you need people like me? If we have bots now?

Do we want to make ourselves more important with impressive numbers?

Hubertl!

The german language Wikipedia has no single article that was generated
by a bot. I'm proud of it. If this would take place in de:WP, many
people will leave this project. With certainty.

Anyway, that does not matter, a bot is probably much better for monkeys!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
On 16/06/13 15:24, Johan Jönsson wrote:
> 2013/6/16 Ilario Valdelli <valdelli@gmail.com>
>> I think that Anders is saying that the result of Wikimedia Swedish is due
>> to a work of bots and to a work of people.
>>
>> It means that this result is contrary to the WMF strategy which would have
>> more people and more contributors.
>>
>> The next millions of articles will be reached by Polish Wikipedia but also
>> by cebuan Wikipedia and by Warai-Warai Wikipedia.
>>
>> May be it's the time to have only bots to write in Wikipedia? I hope that
>> in future the number of articles will be counted considering at least a
>> small content ad not only a template in a page, because the use like this
>> will discourage the communities of editors.
>
> I would say our experience is that it doesn't affect the number of human
> editors at all in any way. A couple of people run bots that create very
> short articles about taxons or other stuff that, to be honest, probably
> wouldn't have been created otherwise. These articles have very few readers.
> Why on Earth would this discourage us?
>
> Our main problem is that browsing Swedish Wikipedia using the "random
> article" button isn't as fun as it used to be. That's probably fixable.

I am again using the opportunity to remind that all of this will soon be
completely unnecessary since it should be possible to generate the
articles on the fly from Wikidata data.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
In the beginning there were a mass of article created manually that was
substandard and which today would not be accepted as proper articles

A little later (several year ago now) a mass of articles were
botgenerated that were substandard and could not be seen as proper
wp:articles

We have since long learned how to write good articles created by our
editors.

We are just now, on a few wikiepdiaverisons, learning how to create good
articles by bots, that give both facts, content, context and knowledge
(also using the new new valuable tool Wikidata which is a good
component but not all that is needed)

I am proud to be active in one of these versions mastering this new
intellectual challenge, of huge value in providing free knowledge for all.

And as shown earlier we have learned that this actually helps recruting
and keeping editors

Anders

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
I am totally supportive of the idea to create articles in this way if they
are more than a simple infobox with 5-6 stats in it. The bot generated form
[1] of the millionth Swedish article is where these bot generated articles
can start from; a useful stub. If we take seriously this "collect the sum
of all knowledge" bla bla, then absolutely ok to generate such articles,
moreover it should be done wherever, whenever possible (like with the
Swedish lakes).

Having zillions of articles will generate a lot of new editors from the
simple fact that more people will have chance (and larger chance) to bump
into wiki articles while browsing the internet. Or in an easier form:
Wikipedia will reach more people by cover more and more topics in a more an
more detailed form.

The first problem, you mention is who will maintain them. Well, probably
those who join through this massive expansion; who are already interested
in butterflies and actively learning about them on the net. Or those who
find their favourite fishing lake on Wiki and add some pictures and a bit
more detailed info about them.

The other problem what you're describing is that all of these future new
editors will be "unqualified" (ni your wording "idiots") while all the
chapters are heavily working on "creating" qualified editors through their
various education programs.

My question is: is this really a problem? How many of you joined Wikipedia
after being "educated" how to edit and stuff and how many of you joined by
"bumping" into articles so many times that you've eventually started
editing them? How many of you started as "idiots"?

I did.

Balázs

[1]
http://sv.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Erysichton_elaborata&oldid=21735451

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
On 17.06.2013 12:36, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On 16/06/13 15:24, Johan Jönsson wrote:
>> 2013/6/16 Ilario Valdelli <valdelli@gmail.com>
>>> I think that Anders is saying that the result of Wikimedia Swedish
>>> is due
>>> to a work of bots and to a work of people.
>>>
>>> It means that this result is contrary to the WMF strategy which
>>> would have
>>> more people and more contributors.
>>>
>>> The next millions of articles will be reached by Polish Wikipedia
>>> but also
>>> by cebuan Wikipedia and by Warai-Warai Wikipedia.
>>>
>>> May be it's the time to have only bots to write in Wikipedia? I hope
>>> that
>>> in future the number of articles will be counted considering at least a
>>> small content ad not only a template in a page, because the use like
>>> this
>>> will discourage the communities of editors.
>>
>> I would say our experience is that it doesn't affect the number of human
>> editors at all in any way. A couple of people run bots that create very
>> short articles about taxons or other stuff that, to be honest, probably
>> wouldn't have been created otherwise. These articles have very few
>> readers.
>> Why on Earth would this discourage us?
>>
>> Our main problem is that browsing Swedish Wikipedia using the "random
>> article" button isn't as fun as it used to be. That's probably fixable.
>
> I am again using the opportunity to remind that all of this will soon
> be completely unnecessary since it should be possible to generate the
> articles on the fly from Wikidata data.

you mean to generate on the fly only articles of this kind, not any article.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Hoi,

Please consider .... there are over 280 Wikipedias in as many languages. In
many languages we have few articles. Providing information is our mission.
We aim to provide well written articles. The argument is that we do not
succeed at that. Actually it is not an argument, it is a fact. When the
Germans feel they do not need bot generated articles, more power to them,
when they assume that their example is to be copied I truly wonder if they
understand the lack of resources in so many languages.

It is fairly easy to find articles that are considered relevant to a
sizable group of the German populace that are missing.. I am working
towards providing this information by using Wikidata. The best part (for
the Germans) is that I urge them to make sure that these articles exist and
are well written .. in German.
Thanks,
GerardM

PS I blogged about how this can be done several times in the past

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
The use of wikidata instead of a bot is a good practice to provude good
contant to all wikipedias because larger communities can control and fix
errors instead of providing content by a bot and keep it outdated.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
We just published a blog post from Lennart Guldbransson on the Wikimedia
blog about this milestone:
http://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/06/17/swedish-wikipedia-1-million-articles/

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*http://blog.wikimedia.org/*
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

Nice to know German language Wikipedia is full of sane people.
Good for you.

But maybe you don't need bots, so that's your decision. (You do
not need infoboxes either, as I see it, and that's also your
decision. Lsjbot makes infoboxes, among other things.)

Yes, a larger database is more of a burden to support than a
smaller one. Our experience at svwp is that automated help does
not take away from the human part of the user community.
Personally I think a larger database of comparable quality
(built by any method) makes for a larger footprint = a greater
chance of catching new editors. Wikipedia did that for me.

My view on it is that larger communities can sustain and
maintain a certain database easier than smaller communities.
Wikipedia communities to a large extent depend on the language
size surrounding it. We already have automation around us at
several levels, and there are editing tools that make for faster
editing – by humans. The use of these are seldom questioned.

Best of wishes,
/Per A.J. Andersson
user Paracel63 at svwp
(carbon-based lifeform from Sweden)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Hubertl, your e-mail was rude, even if you did not mean it to be. Please
remember hundreds of people read every e-mail sent to this list, and
civility is expected.

Thanks,

Asaf

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Per A.J. Andersson <paja@telia.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Nice to know German language Wikipedia is full of sane people. Good for
> you.
>
> But maybe you don't need bots, so that's your decision. (You do not need
> infoboxes either, as I see it, and that's also your decision. Lsjbot makes
> infoboxes, among other things.)
>
> Yes, a larger database is more of a burden to support than a smaller one.
> Our experience at svwp is that automated help does not take away from the
> human part of the user community. Personally I think a larger database of
> comparable quality (built by any method) makes for a larger footprint = a
> greater chance of catching new editors. Wikipedia did that for me.
>
> My view on it is that larger communities can sustain and maintain a
> certain database easier than smaller communities. Wikipedia communities to
> a large extent depend on the language size surrounding it. We already have
> automation around us at several levels, and there are editing tools that
> make for faster editing – by humans. The use of these are seldom questioned.
>

> Best of wishes,
> /Per A.J. Andersson
> user Paracel63 at svwp
> (carbon-based lifeform from Sweden)
>
> 2013-06-17, 12:09, skrev Hubertl:
>

> Payin´ peanuts, gettin´ monkeys
>>
>> Servin´ facts, gettin´ idiots.
>>
>> An unmanageable, not maintainable mass of articles is the best way to
>> breed idiots. Because facts do not create knowledge.
>>
>> If that is our goal, then automatically created Wikipedias ar the best
>> way to solve one of our biggest problems, namely the permanent loss of
>> authors.
>>
>> Maybe it is completely sufficient if you know that somewhere facts are
>> stored in a most possible stupid form.
>>
>> I started more than fifty years ago learning about facts, facts without
>> understanding. But nine years ago I startet to learn something about
>> knowledge, understanding and correlations.
>>
>> Why do not you need people like me? If we have bots now?
>>
>> Do we want to make ourselves more important with impressive numbers?
>>
>> Hubertl!
>>
>> The german language Wikipedia has no single article that was generated by
>> a bot. I'm proud of it. If this would take place in de:WP, many people will
>> leave this project. With certainty.
>>
>> Anyway, that does not matter, a bot is probably much better for monkeys!

Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Hi Asaf, did you read my mail or is this an automated answer because of
using the word monkey? Or is this a just a try like an official muzzle?

Really rude for me is, when some Wikipedians think, they have to start
a professional service company for transporting simple facts without
efforts to transport and support knowlede to and from people. Especially
if it turns out that these facts in not so few cases are wrong, as Kurt
Kulac has already been demonstrated.

Loosing our original idea for which this project is donated by thousands
of donaters! From which you are paid for. As an unpaid, long term
Wikipedian in Residence I do know what I´m talking about.

With actions like this, we destroy our sources! All these facts are
available right now openly. Why do we need these facts as a simple copy
in Wikipedia? With no additional benefit? Except a dubious rise of so
named articles.

Wikipedia also has the charm of imperfection, which I certainly
appreciate. The same imperfection, which is inherent to the people who
will accomplish this tasks together with us.

Unfortunately there are some people who think that everything imperfect
must be destroyed. But we will never ever reach this perfection. Just as
we can never be perfect by ourselves. In a world that is constantly
changing.

On your personal page on the foundation site, you cite Epictetus:

I will reply with Epictetus too:

No thing great is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a
fig. If you tell me that you desire a fig, I answer you that there must
be time. Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen.

h.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Hi Anders, you wrote:

> And as shown earlier we have learned that this actually
> helps recruting and keeping editors

Do you have any prove for that or is this just a speculation or your
personal wishes? Does this mean that the Swedish community precisely
because this botwork has - against the general trend - no loss of authors?

I know very well what it means to attract new authors and to retain
them. But I also know that it is not because of automated welcome bots,
but mostly with personal contact.

By this logic, any other Wikipedias, which even have a higher proportion
of automated generated articles will get even more new authors.

If this is all true, I would change my mind immediately!

hu

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Swedish Wikipedia reach 1 million (with support of bots) [ In reply to ]
Am 16.06.2013 15:24, schrieb Johan Jönsson:

> I would say our experience is that it doesn't affect the number of human
> editors at all in any way.

Hi Johan, Anders Wennersten says:

And as shown earlier we have learned that this actually helps recruting
and keeping editors

???

It is difficult to draw conclusions about user behavior. The more
difficult it is to say something about the behavior of persons, which
are not yet detectable part of the community.

Because it's probably the most difficulty to make predictions about
facts that take place in the future.