tomatos flying for this naive question ;-) )?

Greetings
Ting

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
2013/6/3 Ting Chen <wing.philopp@gmx.de>:
> Hello dear all,
>
> I happened to worked with a few biology interwikis on WikiData today and saw
> the taxnomical data on it. Given that WikiData is growing and more potential
> would not it be a good idea to merge WikiSpecies data into WikiData and
> close WikiSpecies (hope now there will no stones or rotten tomatos flying
> for this naive question ;-) )?

I thought about it several times and it makes sense to me. I somehow
assumed that that is the intention anyway.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Ting Chen, 03/06/2013 11:29:
> I happened to worked with a few biology interwikis on WikiData today and
> saw the taxnomical data on it. Given that WikiData is growing and more
> potential would not it be a good idea to merge WikiSpecies data into
> WikiData

Yes,

> and close WikiSpecies (hope now there will no stones or rotten
> tomatos flying for this naive question ;-) )?

no.
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Project_chat/Archive/2013/02#Include_Wikispecies_into_Wikidata>
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikispecies-l/2013-January/thread.html>
TL;DR: Wikidata offers only a partial way to store information and no
real interface at all for browsing it.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
On 03/06/13 11:40, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> Ting Chen, 03/06/2013 11:29:
>> I happened to worked with a few biology interwikis on WikiData today and
>> saw the taxnomical data on it. Given that WikiData is growing and more
>> potential would not it be a good idea to merge WikiSpecies data into
>> WikiData
>
> Yes,
>
>> and close WikiSpecies (hope now there will no stones or rotten
>> tomatos flying for this naive question ;-) )?
>
> no.
> <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Project_chat/Archive/2013/02#Include_Wikispecies_into_Wikidata>
>
> <http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikispecies-l/2013-January/thread.html>
>
> TL;DR: Wikidata offers only a partial way to store information and no
> real interface at all for browsing it.

What if this interface would exist? I believe it could be made really
quickly and easily.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ting Chen <wing.philopp@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello dear all,
>
> I happened to worked with a few biology interwikis on WikiData today and saw
> the taxnomical data on it. Given that WikiData is growing and more potential
> would not it be a good idea to merge WikiSpecies data into WikiData and
> close WikiSpecies (hope now there will no stones or rotten tomatos flying
> for this naive question ;-) )?

Hi Ting,

It is too early for this discussion to be honest. The data in Wikidata
isn't up to it yet. Most of the taxonomy data isn't complete and it
isn't sourced properly yet. I've been talking about this topic with
quite a few people knowledgeable about this matter and taxonomy is not
as easy as it might seem from the outside. This needs experts and
time.
Besides this I believe any discussion like this should be started by
and in the WikiSpecies community.

Cheers
Lydia

Community Communications for Technical Projects

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Nikola Smolenski, 03/06/2013 11:44:
> What if this interface would exist? I believe it could be made really
> quickly and easily.

It's not about interface only, for instance the search backend is
completely broken and useless for Wikidata, AFAICS.
From what I understand, the interface for Wikidata data is provided by
client sites such as Wikipedia. There are no plans for inclusion of
Wikispecies as client site, but if/when Wikispecies' needs are
implemented this doesn't imply Wikispecies would be useless, rather that
it would have easier access to data and could focus on its scope i.e.
presenting such data. Currently it tries to do both and IMHO fails at both.

Nemo

P.s.: There are also connected problems like sv.wiki becoming a
Wikispecies/Wikidata on its own with a million species bot-entries, but
it's another story.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
I promise I'll get to looking at wikidata's search sometime! I sure don't know when that time will be but I'll get to it!

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Disclaimer: I am writing this as a community member of the German
Wikipedia, where I have been active for many years in the
WikiProject:Biology. As an amateur I had to learn throughout the years,
that taxonomy is pretty tricky, much more than it seems at first sight.

Though it seems so easy to map taxonomical data in a database due to its
seemingly strict hierarchical nature, I'm afraid it is much more tricky
to implement as taxonomy is a discipline with a lot of traps to step in.
That doesn't mean, that it shouldn't be tried, but when considering to
do this: please get advice of professional taxonomists (not only general
biologists) before planning things like that from a purely technical
point of view. Be aware of heavy differences between the various, but
binding codes (Zoology, Bacteriology, Botany s.l. and cultivated
plants). Be aware of the necessity of concurring data trees working with
the same objects. Be aware of the continous changes of taxonomy and the
current tendency of dismissing defined ranks for the benefit of nodes.

Such professional advice could be useful to avoid failures due to
missing expertise in the very beginning. Just a hint.

Best regards,
Denis Barthel

Am 03.06.2013 12:01, schrieb Federico Leva (Nemo):
> Nikola Smolenski, 03/06/2013 11:44:
>> What if this interface would exist? I believe it could be made really
>> quickly and easily.
>
> It's not about interface only, for instance the search backend is
> completely broken and useless for Wikidata, AFAICS.
> From what I understand, the interface for Wikidata data is provided by
> client sites such as Wikipedia. There are no plans for inclusion of
> Wikispecies as client site, but if/when Wikispecies' needs are
> implemented this doesn't imply Wikispecies would be useless, rather
> that it would have easier access to data and could focus on its scope
> i.e. presenting such data. Currently it tries to do both and IMHO
> fails at both.
>
> Nemo
>
> P.s.: There are also connected problems like sv.wiki becoming a
> Wikispecies/Wikidata on its own with a million species bot-entries,
> but it's another story.

Projektmanager
Team Communitys

Fon +49 30 219 158 26 31
Mobil +49 172 23 13 811

E-Mail: denis.barthel@wikimedia.de

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Or just get the entire taxonomy for a species quickly:
http://208.80.153.172/wdq/?q=tree[4504][171,273,75,76,77,70,71,74,89]

Cheers,
Magnus

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
This is great fun ...

However from the perspective of taxonomy this is not complete at all. What
is lacking are the names of the authors and the date of publication. Even
this can be insufficient because there are instances where a description
with the same name by the same people happened in the same year and in the
same publication.

Really, taxonomy is tricky. FYI I have an 80 MB database with ONLY cacti
and succulents. I learned a lot in the process.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Taxonomy is not the thing that occupies me. It is however something I have
experience with.. Everyone who knows anything about the taxonomy of plants
can confirm that a taxon without publishing details is incomplete.
Thanks,
Gerard

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I also think that it should not be seen as blasphemy when someone suggests
to reconsider a Wikimedia project. (Remember Asaf's session in Milan.)
Isn't Wikispecies not already redundant because in Wikipedia every species
is notable anyway?

Kind regards
Ziko

Am Montag, 3. Juni 2013 schrieb Gerard Meijssen :

> Hoi,
> Taxonomy is not the thing that occupies me. It is however something I have
> experience with.. Everyone who knows anything about the taxonomy of plants
> can confirm that a taxon without publishing details is incomplete.
> Thanks,
> Gerard
>

> On 3 June 2013 17:03, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske@googlemail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Gerard Meijssen
> > <gerard.meijssen@gmail.com <javascript:;>>wrote:
> >

> > > Really, taxonomy is tricky. FYI I have an 80 MB database with ONLY
> cacti
> > > and succulents. I learned a lot in the process.
> > >
> > > So, have you imported that to Wikidata yet?

Ziko van Dijk
voorzitter / president Wikimedia Nederland
deputy chair Wikimedia Chapters Association Council

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
Postbus 167
3500 AD Utrecht
http://wikimedia.nl
Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Ziko van Dijk, 06/06/2013 15:00:
> I also think that it should not be seen as blasphemy when someone suggests
> to reconsider a Wikimedia project. (Remember Asaf's session in Milan.)
> Isn't Wikispecies not already redundant because in Wikipedia every species
> is notable anyway?

What Wikipedia are you talking of? sv.wiki, en.wiki, others or all?

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Alex

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
A "species" database does not contain the same information you are likely
to find in an encyclopaedia. When you want to be comprehensive in a
database about species, you will include many revisions of genera, of
species and more. When you care about such things, have a look at IPNI.
Thanks,
Gerard

http://ipni.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiData and WikiSpecies [ In reply to ]
Ah, thanks for the information. And this encyclopedia of life, isn't that
the project suitable?
Kind regards
Ziko