Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden
A new major botgenerating effort is now under way on sv:wp. All lakes
(30000, all down to ones of pondsizes with no name) is now produced
based on lake data from Swedish metereology institute and all lake
environment data from a newly set up authority demanded by EU, in order
to register and track all data of lakes in all Europe.

The articles are generated by AWB and with some manual effort to take
care of text in existing articles and a major effort taking care of all
with the same name (Little lake, Black lake etc)

Examples
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96ren,_Sm%C3%A5land
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunn

Also on maps from Google or Bing you can localize all lakes if you do
not know the name (and for the ones missing name)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://toolserver.org/~para/cgi-bin/kmlexport%3Fproject%3Dsv%26article%3DKategori%253AInsj%2525C3%2525B6ar_i_J%2525C3%2525B6nk%2525C3%2525B6pings_kommun
or
http://www.bing.com/maps/?mapurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftoolserver.org%2F%7Epara%2Fcgi-bin%2Fkmlexport%3Fproject%3Dsv%26article%3DKategori%253AInsj%2525C3%2525B6ar_i_J%2525C3%2525B6nk%2525C3%2525B6pings_kommun

As you can see the text is substantial around 5000 characters and even
thing like fisharts in the lakes are generated from databases.

We are now starting to contemplate to put these type of basedata in
Wikidata (we are experimenting with this for some adm units), and to
generate the articles from that as a base instead of from database
extracted from the authorities and put on personal PCs

We have excellent relations with involved authorities that are really
happy with the result, and we are now being approached by other
authorites who wants to follow and get their data from theirs databases
used to generate qualified Wp articles (like all runestones, all
archaeological excavations sites, all artworks placed on official
grounds etc)

Are there any other effort like this going on, especially if any one
come further in establish links from authorities databased to wikidata?

Anders

Re: [Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden [ In reply to ]
In Italian Wikipedia,
we are in contact with the National Library of Florence, and are
establishing links between
Wikipedia articles and the New national Thesaurus.

Es. https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q281108
In the Italian WP, we will have a sentence like
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido#Collegamenti_esterni

The bot on Wikidata is running right now,
the bot in Wikipedia will run in the weekend.

Aubrey

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Anders Wennersten <mail@anderswennersten.se

Re: [Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden [ In reply to ]
On 16 May 2013 18:36, Anders Wennersten <mail@anderswennersten.se> wrote:
> All lakes (30000, all down to ones of pondsizes with no name) is now
> produced based on lake data from Swedish metereology institute and all lake
> environment data from a newly set up authority demanded by EU, in order to
> register and track all data of lakes in all Europe.
>
> The articles are generated by AWB and with some manual effort to take care
> of text in existing articles and a major effort taking care of all with the
> same name (Little lake, Black lake etc)

Are these all on OpenStreetMap, too?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden [ In reply to ]
On 16/05/13 23:18, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 16 May 2013 18:36, Anders Wennersten <mail@anderswennersten.se> wrote:
>> All lakes (30000, all down to ones of pondsizes with no name) is now
>> produced based on lake data from Swedish metereology institute and all lake
>> environment data from a newly set up authority demanded by EU, in order to
>> register and track all data of lakes in all Europe.
>>
>> The articles are generated by AWB and with some manual effort to take care
>> of text in existing articles and a major effort taking care of all with the
>> same name (Little lake, Black lake etc)
>
> Are these all on OpenStreetMap, too?

We will know when people start filling in
http://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Property:P402

Re: [Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden [ In reply to ]
Very cool project. Do you know how many lakes are there in other European
countries (or website/datasets)?

It is for this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Emijrp/All_human_knowledge#Lakes

Re: [Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden [ In reply to ]
Sorry not, and what we have learned is how hard is to to define what a
lake is

In Swden some mention there are 200 000 lakes, and that the Hydrology
authority has data of over 150 000 but where less then 75 000 has a
name and many with just rudimentary data. The lakes with environment
impact data are 7 233 and in this project data with 100 dataitems per
lake are collected from three authorities, and articles are generated
into sv:wp for 57 648 (not 30 000) lakes. Only around a few percent of
these are without name and the most common name is used by 645 unique
lakes... (just to take care of the forkpages is a science in its own)

Anders

Re: [Wikimedia-l] All the lakes in Sweden [ In reply to ]
Thanks. I have discovered some estimations of lakes for more countries, but
no datasets.

Belarus: 11,000+
Canada: 31,752+ larger than 3 km² (2-3 million in total)
Estonia: 1,000+
Finland: 187,888 lakes 500 m² or larger (56,000 over 10,000 m²)
Latvia: 3,000+
Lithuania: 3,000+
Norway: 450,000+