[Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop
Hello,

I just wanted to share my feelings: I went to en.wikipedia.org today and
I saw this message on top:

Happy Birthday Wikipedia!
15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop

My first impression was: I think I mistyped the URL...

//Saper

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
My weather-forecast for this mailinglist today - Storms.

Hans A. Rosbach

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
Marcin Cieslak wrote:
>I just wanted to share my feelings: I went to en.wikipedia.org today and
>I saw this message on top:
>
>Happy Birthday Wikipedia!
>15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop
>
>My first impression was: I think I mistyped the URL...

I primarily contribute to Wikipedia, so I can't say for sure, but I would
imagine it wouldn't feel great to look at the Wikimedia Shop right now as
a Wiktionarian or a Wikinewsie or a Wikisorcerer or....

I primarily contribute in English, so I can't say for sure, but I would
imagine it wouldn't feel great to look at the Wikimedia Shop right now as
someone who primarily speaks French or Spanish or German or Italian or ....

I imagine most active users have given up on CentralNotice and have the
banners permanently hidden while logged in. But it isn't the banner that
bothers me as much as the place to which it leads. These are solvable
problems. We can do better.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
Aye, I know it's something new and not that not all
together uncontroversial. I posted about my thoughts and proposed plan on
enWP last week (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)#Wikimedia_Shop_Central_Notices_and_Sale_for_Wikipedia_Birthdaywith
a pointer on WP:AN) and while we got relatively little conversation on
wiki I got a lot of feedback from community members off wiki as well. It
was also in the signpost notes last week (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2013-01-07/News_and_notes)
In fact I got 10 users emailing complaining that I was late setting
it
up this evening (they were right).

The test planned for tomorrow (for Anonymous users in North America,
without a discount) is mostly to see the potential for this to fund the
Giveaway program we've been running (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Merchandise_giveaways ) that is a
run away success.

We see both of these as very much a test and even if it succeeds something
that should only be done incredibly rarely and with community input, but I
think it's a good thing to test.

James

James Alexander
Manager, Merchandise
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> >I just wanted to share my feelings: I went to en.wikipedia.org today and
> >I saw this message on top:
> >
> >Happy Birthday Wikipedia!
> >15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop
> >
> >My first impression was: I think I mistyped the URL...
>
> I primarily contribute to Wikipedia, so I can't say for sure, but I would
> imagine it wouldn't feel great to look at the Wikimedia Shop right now as
> a Wiktionarian or a Wikinewsie or a Wikisorcerer or....
>
> I primarily contribute in English, so I can't say for sure, but I would
> imagine it wouldn't feel great to look at the Wikimedia Shop right now as
> someone who primarily speaks French or Spanish or German or Italian or ....
>
> I imagine most active users have given up on CentralNotice and have the
> banners permanently hidden while logged in. But it isn't the banner that
> bothers me as much as the place to which it leads. These are solvable
> problems. We can do better.
>
> MZMcBride

First off I agree; This is currently why the Central Notice is only on
English Wikipedia right now (though I was going to post to this list and
meta later to try and get others to see it). I'm not sure
the evidence actually bears true for the permanently hidden central notice
concern but I can certainly understand why you think that. Central Notice
is an over used kludgel and we need to have better options (and Engineering
is working on them) but I think this is an appropriate use.

Re the shop concerns: These are solvable problems, and as I've told
everyone who's asked about these issues (including you) they are not nearly
easy problems to solve. We don't have the resources to dive in and make
more languages and products from the start. I learned very quickly that
running a shop like this takes far more effort and work then I would have
ever imagined and I am only staff member assigned to it (basically) full
time. Sadly, if we had to jump in the deep end with lots of languages and
all of the projects at the start we likely would never have been able to do
this, or at least would have had to shut it down. As we gauge the shop and
let it grow then we will be able to add them.

On the product side I actually think we've done that extremely well. It was
seeded with Wikipedia 10 product and designs we had from before I switched
to the job. This stuff was, understandably, Wikipedia centric. Because of
that I've worked to make sure the products I've introduced since then has
not been: Lapel pins and stickers for all of the projects, nicely made
button packs showcasing all of the projects and today the WLM calendar (I
did introduce the water-bottles which are WP centric but purposely not
language centric with lots of our word marks on there).

The language side is problematic because of the software we're on now, I'd
very much like to push for a couple different languages ASAP (they would be
done as separate shops sadly) but in the long term if we continue we're
going to have to look at a couple other software options and I've already
been looking and playing with them to see which is best. Sadly those other
options aren't plug and play like this was however, the require much more
customization and backend server support that we don't have yet (because we
have to prove it's worth it).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
James Alexander, 14/01/2013 10:44:
> The test planned for tomorrow (for Anonymous users in North America,
> without a discount) is mostly to see the potential for this to fund the
> Giveaway program we've been running (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Merchandise_giveaways ) that is a
> run away success.

Do I understand correctly that you meant to target the notice to USA
users only? That's a good idea, probably, given the unaddressed
complaints on undelivered items abroad
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise#USPS_Priority_Mail_Int.27l_reliability>;
but I did see it this morning, so perhaps something went wrong.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On 14 January 2013 10:34, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> James Alexander, 14/01/2013 10:44:

>> The test planned for tomorrow (for Anonymous users in North America,
>> without a discount) is mostly to see the potential for this to fund the
>> Giveaway program we've been running (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Merchandise_giveaways ) that is a
>> run away success.

> Do I understand correctly that you meant to target the notice to USA users
> only? That's a good idea, probably, given the unaddressed complaints on
> undelivered items abroad
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise#USPS_Priority_Mail_Int.27l_reliability>;
> but I did see it this morning, so perhaps something went wrong.

Visible here in the UK.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:34 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki@gmail.com>wrote:

> James Alexander, 14/01/2013 10:44:
>
> The test planned for tomorrow (for Anonymous users in North America,
>> without a discount) is mostly to see the potential for this to fund the
>> Giveaway program we've been running (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Wikipedia:Merchandise_**giveaways<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Merchandise_giveaways>) that is a
>> run away success.
>>

> Do I understand correctly that you meant to target the notice to USA users
> only? That's a good idea, probably, given the unaddressed complaints on
> undelivered items abroad <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
> wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_**merchandise#USPS_Priority_**Mail_Int.27l_reliability<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise#USPS_Priority_Mail_Int.27l_reliability>>;
> but I did see it this morning, so perhaps something went wrong.
>
> Nemo

The survey today is worldwide but the one for tomorrow is supposed to be
North America in general (we've found that shipping to Canada and Mexico is
much better overall). That said however thank you for showing me that link,
somehow I didn't get my normal notification and missed it.

I responded on wiki as well now but you should know that we were seeing the
same problems. To be honest I was taken by surprise at how bad USPS
Priority was internationally despite their promises to the contrary.
Because of that we took it away as an option for International users
completely and no longer use it for our flat rate shipping either (which we
subsidize so that no one has to pay too much). Currently all international
packages are going to be sent FedEx which we've used as a foundation for a
very long timer with success.

FYI: It's about 3am here so I'm going to be heading to bed but will
obviously be able to answer more questions in the morning if there are any.

James
Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM, James Alexander
<jalexander@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> The survey today is worldwide

And by survey I obviously mean banner...clearly time for sleep

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
James,

Do be careful about using FedEx for stuff that has to be there by a
particular day. When the WMF has posted things to me in the past, FedEx
have refused to deliver on weekends, leaving me with a trip to the airport
in the snow to pick up the packages!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
Hello,
Here in the Netherlands the banner can be seen e.g. on
de.wikipedia.org. I don't know what to think about it, it makes a
commercial impression similar to an advert (which it actually is).
Kind regards
Ziko

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
This is rather silly - we have people complaining about the name Wikimedia
being near Wikipedia (oh no!) and complaining about FedEx and airports. The
real question is below.

*Is it appropriate to risk the very real risk of banner blindness for the
shop?* Where do we draw the line?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
Hi James,

Firstly kudos for trying to get an alternate revenue stream going as
opposed to donations. I'd be surprised if you could get merchandising to
the point where it funds core operations, but it is certainly worth trying.

If you are facing high international transport costs then I'd suggest
working out which countries the USPS does work well for and only using
fedex where post doesn't work, and also trialling the sort of small high
value items like cufflinks and memory sticks where transport costs are less
important.

But if you really want me to get excited about the shop, try stocking flip
flops with modified soles. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd like to
walk along the beach leaving a trail of [citation needed] tracks.

WSC
Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On 14 January 2013 14:02, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers@gmail.com>wrote:

> <snip>
>
> But if you really want me to get excited about the shop, try stocking flip
> flops with modified soles. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd like to
> walk along the beach leaving a trail of [citation needed] tracks.
>
> WSC

I have to say....this is brilliant. Plus it made me laugh out loud.

Risker
Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Risker <risker.wp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14 January 2013 14:02, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>> But if you really want me to get excited about the shop, try stocking flip
>> flops with modified soles. I'm sure I'm not the only person who'd like to
>> walk along the beach leaving a trail of [citation needed] tracks.
>>
>> WSC
>>

> I have to say....this is brilliant. Plus it made me laugh out loud.

A+++ WOULD BUY!

-Sage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
First of all, I'm glad there's a Wikimedia Shop. I don't think it'll
make big money, but even if it's only self-sustaining it's totally worth it.

I also think that generally we should be happy to try stuff out and use
banners to advertise new services.

However, I share with Mono the worry that large, colorful and
distracting banners are becoming the standard, rather than the
exception. I think part of the reason why "big" banners are used is
because they are easier to create: most banners are created by copying
existing banners and most existing banners are those huge fundraising
banners.

We should remember that we have banners in all flavours:
* very low key ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=stew2011_noms
* short & small ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=WMDE_community_budget
* a bit larger ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=BrazilMeetups
* do not use! ---
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=money_or_die

James, was the banner type/size a conscious decision you made? Or did
you just choose to go with a standard ("big") banner?

Regards,
Tobias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Tobias
<church.of.emacs.ml@googlemail.com>wrote:

> First of all, I'm glad there's a Wikimedia Shop. I don't think it'll make
> big money, but even if it's only self-sustaining it's totally worth it.
>
> I also think that generally we should be happy to try stuff out and use
> banners to advertise new services.
>
> However, I share with Mono the worry that large, colorful and distracting
> banners are becoming the standard, rather than the exception. I think part
> of the reason why "big" banners are used is because they are easier to
> create: most banners are created by copying existing banners and most
> existing banners are those huge fundraising banners.
>
> We should remember that we have banners in all flavours:
> * very low key --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/**index.php?title=Special:
> **NoticeTemplate/view&template=**stew2011_noms<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=stew2011_noms>
> * short & small --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/**
> index.php?title=Special:**NoticeTemplate/view&template=**
> WMDE_community_budget<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=WMDE_community_budget>
> * a bit larger --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/**index.php?title=Special:
> **NoticeTemplate/view&template=**BrazilMeetups<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=BrazilMeetups>
> * do not use! --- https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/**index.php?title=Special:*
> *NoticeTemplate/view&template=**money_or_die<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=money_or_die>
>
> James, was the banner type/size a conscious decision you made? Or did you
> just choose to go with a standard ("big") banner?
>
> Regards,
> Tobias

Thanks Tobias,

I generally agree that banners have been overused, they have a big effect
but a big presence and we don't want to abuse that. I'm really happy to see
things like Echo being worked on in Engineering which will add a much
better 'intermediate' choice for messaging which we currently really don't
have.

The size of the banner was a conscious choice but one I thought about for a
fair bit. It's what I would generally consider a 'medium' banner but has
clearly migrated itself to being one of the larger types that we use,
compared to the past couple years where they tended to be significantly
bigger (generally mirroring the size of the fundraising banners at the time
which were significantly larger then this). These ones are around 100px
which is the size or smaller (depending on the banner) then the fundraising
banners this year (before they expanded).

For those interested the general idea I was trying to do was to pick a size
that was the smallest it could be while still getting the information
across that I thought was important. In general that meant I wanted:

- Everyone to know that it was a shop banner, I didn't want anyone
clicking on it without knowing that's what it was ( or at least as few
people as we can).
- To know that it was targeted at Editors/Volunteers and that some of
the merch was specifically targeted at that.
- To know that it was run by the foundation so that people, hopefully,
don't think that we've been hacked or that some random shop was doing this.
- Be generally readable without effort

I wanted to more specifically call out on the banner that the profits went
to the Merchandise Giveaway Program that has been a runaway success but, to
be honest, I both ran out of space and it's more of a reality for the
public push because we've cut out almost all of the margin for the logged
in sale.

I try to support a bunch of different window sizes and resolutions and in
the end it just didn't seem to work well any smaller then this (but didn't
have to be any bigger). We still have some issues with the smaller side of
windows/resolutions and am still looking at good ways to adapt for that but
are getting there.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
When Wikimedia projects volunteers in Brazil were organizing a
challenge for the Portuguese Wikipedia [1], there were some ideas of
making personalized Wikipedia objects [2] adapter for the local
context for the prizes, like flip flops, among others, mainly because
of our famous [citation needed] havaianas. [3]

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/12/21/grand-prix-wikimedia-brazil-racing-towards-a-better-wikipedia/
[2] http://blogs.estadao.com.br/link/positivo-quer-wikipedia-offline-em-computadores/
[3] http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havaianas

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 15% off merchandise today at the Wikimedia Shop [ In reply to ]
Hey James,

On 01/14/2013 09:27 PM, James Alexander wrote:
> I generally agree that banners have been overused, they have a big effect
> but a big presence and we don't want to abuse that. I'm really happy to see
> things like Echo being worked on in Engineering which will add a much
> better 'intermediate' choice for messaging which we currently really don't
> have.

I wasn't aware of "Echo" (seems to be a fairly new project). Actually I
proposed a similar project during the lightning talks 2011 in Haifa.
Glad to see that WMF finally tackles this issue :)

> The size of the banner was a conscious choice but one I thought about for a
> fair bit. It's what I would generally consider a 'medium' banner but has
> clearly migrated itself to being one of the larger types that we use,
> compared to the past couple years where they tended to be significantly
> bigger (generally mirroring the size of the fundraising banners at the time
> which were significantly larger then this). These ones are around 100px
> which is the size or smaller (depending on the banner) then the fundraising
> banners this year (before they expanded).
>
> For those interested the general idea I was trying to do was to pick a size
> that was the smallest it could be while still getting the information
> across that I thought was important. In general that meant I wanted:
>
> - Everyone to know that it was a shop banner, I didn't want anyone
> clicking on it without knowing that's what it was ( or at least as few
> people as we can).
> - To know that it was targeted at Editors/Volunteers and that some of
> the merch was specifically targeted at that.
> - To know that it was run by the foundation so that people, hopefully,
> don't think that we've been hacked or that some random shop was doing this.
> - Be generally readable without effort
>
> I wanted to more specifically call out on the banner that the profits went
> to the Merchandise Giveaway Program that has been a runaway success but, to
> be honest, I both ran out of space and it's more of a reality for the
> public push because we've cut out almost all of the margin for the logged
> in sale.
>
> I try to support a bunch of different window sizes and resolutions and in
> the end it just didn't seem to work well any smaller then this (but didn't
> have to be any bigger). We still have some issues with the smaller side of
> windows/resolutions and am still looking at good ways to adapt for that but
> are getting there.

Alright, I'm glad you put much thought into this. Hopefully in the
future we'll have a better tool with Echo that permits less obtrusive
ways of informing our readers.

Best regards,
Tobias