Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] brief WMDE fundraising update
Dear all,

just a brief update from Wikimedia Deutschland on our current fundraising
campaign. It's been running since November 13, involving variations of facts
banners in combination with personal appeals. We're on track to reaching our
campaign goal of around € 5 m. by the end of this year. The personal
appeals appear as drop-down messages along our donation form, once readers
click on the sticking facts banners.The appeals include messages from
Wikipedians,
donors, readers and WMDE staff.

In short, we're combining facts with changing elements. As in past years, a
personal message by Jimmy is one of the personal appeals. Unlike past
years, various other appeals are performing well enough for us to be able
to significantly reduce Jimmy's presence, favoring a more
diverserepresentation of the people behind Wikipedia. Note,
however, that these observations are to be evaluated in the context of
thefacts bannersattracting attention first.

More detailed information will follow as soon as reliable figures are
available.

One more thing: We created a short video clip as a further means
todiversifying our
campaign approach. It's a 2 min. piece that we produced with a small team while
the campaign got off the ground in late November. It features Wikipedia
readers who talk about their favorite Wikipedia word, capped off by
our CEOPavel Richter.
In essence, he points to the fact that we've come to take Wikipedia for
granted and why we all should support it. We've been using the video since last
Wednesday, interchangeably with text appeals. Again, no in-depth evaluation
(not while the campaign is in full swing), but the video seems to be at a
performance level with the most effective of our personal appeals.

Find the video here. It's in German, though!
https://vimeo.com/55612721

Facts and figures to follow.

Regards,
Michael

--
Michael Jahn
Public Relations

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Obentrautstraße 72 | 10963 Berlin
Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

*Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales
Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird. Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition:*
http://wikipedia.de/wke/Main_Page?setlang=de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] brief WMDE fundraising update [ In reply to ]
...gave you a link to an alternate version of the mentioned video in the
last email (short version, Pavel Richter only). Sorry. Here's the original
one, with readers speaking:
https://vimeo.com/55371105

Speaking of both versions, we're testing their respective performances.

Regards,
Michael Jahn

2012/12/17 Michael Jahn <michael.jahn@wikimedia.de>

> Dear all,
>
> just a brief update from Wikimedia Deutschland on our current fundraising
> campaign. It's been running since November 13, involving variations of facts
> banners in combination with personal appeals. We're on track to reaching our
> campaign goal of around € 5 m. by the end of this year. The personal
> appeals appear as drop-down messages along our donation form, once readers
> click on the sticking facts banners.The appeals include messages from Wikipedians,
> donors, readers and WMDE staff.
>
> In short, we're combining facts with changing elements. As in past years,
> a personal message by Jimmy is one of the personal appeals. Unlike past
> years, various other appeals are performing well enough for us to be able
> to significantly reduce Jimmy's presence, favoring a more diverserepresentation of the people behind Wikipedia. Note,
> however, that these observations are to be evaluated in the context of thefacts bannersattracting attention first.
>

> More detailed information will follow as soon as reliable figures are
> available.
>
> One more thing: We created a short video clip as a further means todiversifying our
> campaign approach. It's a 2 min. piece that we produced with a small team while
> the campaign got off the ground in late November. It features Wikipedia
> readers who talk about their favorite Wikipedia word, capped off by our
> CEO Pavel Richter. In essence, he points to the fact that we've come to
> take Wikipedia for granted and why we all should support it. We've been using
> the video since last Wednesday, interchangeably with text appeals. Again,
> no in-depth evaluation (not while the campaign is in full swing), but the
> video seems to be at a performance level with the most effective of our
> personal appeals.
>
> Find the video here. It's in German, though!
> https://vimeo.com/55612721
>
> Facts and figures to follow.
>
> Regards,
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Jahn
> Public Relations
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Obentrautstraße 72 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. (030) 219 158 260
>
> http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
> Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>
> *Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales
> Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird. Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition:*
> http://wikipedia.de/wke/Main_Page?setlang=de

Öffentlichkeitsarbeit

Re: [Wikimedia-l] brief WMDE fundraising update [ In reply to ]
On Dec 17, 2012 2:21 PM, "Michael Jahn" <michael.jahn@wikimedia.de> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> just a brief update from Wikimedia Deutschland on our current fundraising
> campaign. It's been running since November 13, involving variations of
facts
> banners in combination with personal appeals. We're on track to reaching
our
> campaign goal of around € 5 m. by the end of this year. The personal
> appeals appear as drop-down messages along our donation form, once readers
> click on the sticking facts banners.The appeals include messages from
> Wikipedians,
> donors, readers and WMDE staff.

Thank you for this update. You seem to be taking a significantly more
aggressive (for want of a better word) approach than the foundation. You
are running for much longer and it sounds like you are making much more use
of the sticky banners that people have found so annoying. Can you explain
your reasons for that?
Re: [Wikimedia-l] brief WMDE fundraising update [ In reply to ]
Am 17.12.2012 16:10, schrieb Thomas Dalton:
> Thank you for this update. You seem to be taking a significantly more
> aggressive (for want of a better word) approach than the foundation. You
> are running for much longer and it sounds like you are making much more use
> of the sticky banners that people have found so annoying. Can you explain
> your reasons for that?
We are using the facts banner in different variations and different
contents from Wikipedians, donors, readers and WMDE staff. We are happy
that we have localized and diversified the campaign that much. We rely
on the yellow sticky non-hover banner and we have to say that this
banner works very good for us. We have neither seen nor heard any
significant complaints about the banner - not from donors or from
Wikipedians. In fact, we have convinced almost about 200.000 donors so
far. So, we should talk about visibility and not agressiveness. People
donate because they are being convinced not "pushed".

Cheers
Till

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Till Mletzko
Fundraiser
-------------------------------------
Wikimedia Fördergesellschaft
Obentrautstr. 72
10963 Berlin

Telefon 030 - 219 158 26 -19
www.wikimedia.de

Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird.
Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition unter https://wke.wikimedia.de/wke/Main_Page!

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei! http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Gemeinnützige Wikimedia Fördergesellschaft mbH.
Eingetragen beim Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 130183 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/603/54814.