Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched
Hi all,

we have just launched the Foundation's 2012 editor survey; with
invitations to participate being shown to logged-in users on Wikipedia
and Commons.

A few quick facts about the survey (for more refer to
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012
):

* This is the third survey of editors as envisaged in the Foundation's
2010-15 strategic plan "in order to take the pulse of the community
and identify pressing issues or concerns", after the April 2011 and
December 2011 surveys.

* The first main purpose of this survey is to continue the work of the
2011 studies (conducted by Mani Pande and Ayush Khanna), with a focus
on tracking changes since last year and identifying trends.
Which is why many questions are being repeated from last time.

* The second emphasis in this instance of the survey is to measure the
satisfaction of the editing community with the work of the Wikimedia
Foundation.

* This is the first editor survey that includes a non-Wikipedia
project (Commons, for the questions that are non Wikipedia-specific).

* Thanks to everyone who commented on the draft questionnaire after we
solicited feedback on this list and in and IRC office hour, as well as
to those who commented about the last survey. We made several changes
based on the feedback, and tried to reply to all concerns.

* Also many thanks to all volunteer translators who reviewed or
contributed translations; the questionnaire is available in 14
languages (Italian, Polish and Portuguese will launch a bit later).

* As with the previous two surveys, the results will be published in
the following forms: A "topline" report detailing the percentage of
https://blog.wikimedia.org analyzing the results, and a data set
consisting of anonymized responses which others can use to do their
own analyses. This time we will also aim to produce language-specific
topline reports (an approach we already tested for Chinese with the
data from the December 2011 survey).

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched [ In reply to ]
Hi Tilman,

Could you explain the logic behind the survey link not being static until
the user completes the survey or dismisses the notice?

I appreciate that you're offering, via email, to give people the survey
link if they missed it, but that will influence who ends up your survey
population. Not everyone on your target population is subscribed to a list
whetr this offer has been made.

John Vandenberg.
sent from Galaxy Note

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched [ In reply to ]
Hi John,

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tilman,
>
> Could you explain the logic behind the survey link not being static until
> the user completes the survey or dismisses the notice?
I guess you are referring to the fact that the survey invitation
banner is designed to be shown only once to each user? This is
explained in the Q&A for the survey:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012#Why_will_a_user_see_the_link_to_the_survey_only_once.3F_How.3F
In short, it's intended to reduce bias towards more frequent editors.
There are reasons for and against this setup, but it's one of the many
things that we want to keep consistent with the last survey so as to
be able to do longitudinal analysis, i.e. identify trends.

(In case this is not what you meant, feel free to rephrase the
question and I will try to reply again.)

> I appreciate that you're offering, via email, to give people the survey
> link if they missed it, but that will influence who ends up your survey
> population. Not everyone on your target population is subscribed to a list
> whetr this offer has been made.
I understand this concern from a theoretical standpoint, but
considering the fact that only four people have requested such a link
so far, the bias that this introduces is likely to be negligible. - If
one goes down that road, one would need to worry much more about the
effect of announcements and discussions about the survey on mailing
lists and on Meta before it has completed, but this is a price we are
happy to pay to involve the community and achieve transparence.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched [ In reply to ]
Thanks Tilman. Good to see the offer is in the public FAQ.

I was on my phone at the time I saw it, and having some time on my hands I
tried to fill it in. I managed to screw up the survey software on the
languages selection by trying to select more than one, and then it wouldnt
let me pick any. I quit thinking I would get another chance...on my desktop.

I dont remember if the survey told me that I would only have one chance...

Do you know how many people have seen the banner vs how many have completed
it?

Is there a page which lists pros and cons of this approach?

I think the WMF should collect all the survey data they can. Maximum ROI
and all that.
You can use models to select a subset of the 2012 data that would be
comparable to the 2011 data.

John Vandenberg.
sent from Galaxy Note

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched [ In reply to ]
"On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 12:18 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tilman. Good to see the offer is in the public FAQ.
>
> I was on my phone at the time I saw it, and having some time on my hands I
> tried to fill it in. I managed to screw up the survey software on the
> languages selection by trying to select more than one, and then it wouldnt
> let me pick any. I quit thinking I would get another chance...on my desktop.
>
> I dont remember if the survey told me that I would only have one chance...

Looks like it does. When editing French Wikipedia, the survey popped
up again and said

"You can pause the survey at any time and finish it later, but this
may be the only time you will see this message."

I am hoping this is an nefarious ploy by the WMF to promote
non-English Wikipedias ;-)

Thanks.

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched [ In reply to ]
I didn't see the banner either, but this solved the problem for me:

1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.

2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth" mode,
whichever term your browser uses; this is to bypass any cookies that may be
preventing the banner from being displayed (again).

3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the banner at
the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.

Andreas

Re: [Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched [ In reply to ]
This could not be more difficult... I am a sysop on huwiki for 3 years now
and I'm looking for the link for half an hour now and I still can't find
it... :O

How can you expect newbies to find it?

*~Orsolya*