Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation
Thank you for publishing this. Where is the best place to discuss this plan?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 28 July 2012 04:58, Tilman Bayer <tbayer@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>
> accompanied by a Q&A:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>
> The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

$42.1 million? you could almost buy an olympic opening ceremony for that.

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
46 millions?? That is a joke right? Please someone tell me that this is a
joke.
_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Jul 29, 2012 3:33 AM, "Béria Lima" <berialima@gmail.com> wrote:

> 46 millions?? That is a joke right? Please someone tell me that this is a
> joke.

It's not a very large increase on last year. It's a little tricky to make
sure you are comparing like with like given the new way of treating chapter
revenues and spending, but I think the right number to compare with is
$39.2m. An increase to $46.1m is an 18% increase. That's tiny compared to
the growth we've seen in previous years.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
I'm more curious about where the 9.9 million in revenue will come from in
Q4, to be honest. (P.64 of the plan) Absent that, I'm not seeing how all
those new positions (particularly the 30 in Engineering) will be paid for.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Jul 29, 2012 3:45 AM, "Risker" <risker.wp@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm more curious about where the 9.9 million in revenue will come from in
> Q4, to be honest. (P.64 of the plan)

The plan does seem to be missing the details on revenue... Isn't there
normally a slide breaking down revenue into fundraiser, grants, major
gifts, earned income, etc? (See slide 49 of last year's plan.)
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Tilman Bayer <tbayer@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
>

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>
> accompanied by a Q&A:
>

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>
> The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.

Just a small point....

I'm curious how the proposed $255,000 for Wikimania travel for staff,
board, advisory board and volunteers compares with what was actually spent
this year?

In the 2011-2012 plan, I see that $96,000 was proposed. While the travel
costs for SF staff to DC are much less, I find this too low and hard to
believe. Some more details and breakdown by scholarships vs.
staff/board/advisory board would be nice.

I'm curious if we are planning a higher number of scholarships for
volunteers for next year? (as the overall WMF budget increases) and how
many staff are we planning to send next year?

Cheers,
Katie

> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
<philippe@wikimedia.org>

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com>wrote:

> It's not a very large increase on last year. It's a little tricky to make
> sure you are comparing like with like given the new way of treating chapter
> revenues and spending, but I think the right number to compare with is
> $39.2m. An increase to $46.1m is an 18% increase. That's tiny compared to
> the growth we've seen in previous years.

It also tracks fairly closely to the strategy (
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/WMF_StrategicPlan2011_spreads.pdf),
page 16.

pb
(who had no active role in the design of this year's plan, but did in the
design of the strategy)
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

philippe@wikimedia.org
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Actually, on looking a bit more closely, it appears that the Engineering
core positions include those that are intended to support non-core
activities. That doesn't really add up; they should also be non-core.

I also note that a lot of the activities in the strategic plan are
considered non-core. That seems to put the strategic plan at significant
risk.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
This is a very good point, Thomas. Why exactly is there no place on a
community wiki where this is being discussed? Instead it is being
discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
does not subscribe.

Risker/Anne

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Risker wrote:
> This is a very good point, Thomas. Why exactly is there no place on a
> community wiki where this is being discussed? Instead it is being
> discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> does not subscribe.

Because you haven't created such a place yet. Meta-Wiki would be the
appropriate wiki. You can use a generic forum such as
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum> or feel free to just pick
a title (such as <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Annual_Plan>).

There used to be strategy.wikimedia.org, but there's general agreement that
we want to push these types of discussions into a central wiki, and
Meta-Wiki is that wiki.

I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a bit
tricky with raw HTML being allowed there. I have some thoughts on this, but
haven't had much motivation to act on them.

And this all isn't to say that I agree with your premise. This mailing list
is a perfectly fine place to discuss the Annual Plan. If the community wants
to be engaged in these types of discussions, they know to join and use this
mailing list. It's not as though this is list is some new and foreign forum.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Jul 29, 2012 7:01 AM, "MZMcBride" <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Risker wrote:
> > This is a very good point, Thomas. Why exactly is there no place on a
> > community wiki where this is being discussed? Instead it is being
> > discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> > does not subscribe.
>
> Because you haven't created such a place yet.

It is generally best for the person that announces something to specify a
forum. That way you avoid discussion ending up split between multiple
venues.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Risker wrote:
> > This is a very good point, Thomas. Why exactly is there no place on a
> > community wiki where this is being discussed? Instead it is being
> > discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> > does not subscribe.
>
> Because you haven't created such a place yet. Meta-Wiki would be the
> appropriate wiki.

Let's use the page we used to use to discuss plans and budgets:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget

I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
> wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a bit
> tricky with raw HTML being allowed there.

This shouldn't be a blocker. Disallow raw HTML on talk pages?
Simply restrict editing to a higher 'autoconfirmed' standard?

I would like to see your ideas on how to do this; it seems like a good idea.

SJ
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2012 7:01 AM, "MZMcBride" <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> Risker wrote:
>>> This is a very good point, Thomas. Why exactly is there no place on a
>>> community wiki where this is being discussed? Instead it is being
>>> discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
>>> does not subscribe.
>>
>> Because you haven't created such a place yet.
>
> It is generally best for the person that announces something to specify a
> forum. That way you avoid discussion ending up split between multiple
> venues.

Given the bidirectional nature of this mailing list, I think the implicit
option (replying here, on the same list where the plan was announced) was
clear, but okay.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:

> I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
> > wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a
> bit
> > tricky with raw HTML being allowed there.
>

> This shouldn't be a blocker. Disallow raw HTML on talk pages?
> Simply restrict editing to a higher 'autoconfirmed' standard?
>
> I would like to see your ideas on how to do this; it seems like a good
> idea.
>
> SJ

Well, the biggest blocker would be that the WMF wiki is private.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
>> > wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a
>> bit
>> > tricky with raw HTML being allowed there.
>>

>> This shouldn't be a blocker. Disallow raw HTML on talk pages?
>> Simply restrict editing to a higher 'autoconfirmed' standard?
>>
>> I would like to see your ideas on how to do this; it seems like a good
>> idea.
>>
>> SJ
>

> Well, the biggest blocker would be that the WMF wiki is private.
>
> --
> ~Keegan
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

For editing, that is. I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
wiki: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Keegan Peterzell, 29/07/2012 08:29:
> For editing, that is. I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
> wiki: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell

The situation of WMFwiki is indeed frustrating, but could we avoid OT in
this thread? Unless it's a subtle strategy to make the thread useful and
make people go to
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13> (which
I'll now try to link from the main page and what not if it isn't).

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 29 July 2012 03:16, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Keegan Peterzell, 29/07/2012 08:29:
>
> For editing, that is. I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
>> wiki: http://wikimediafoundation.**org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell>
>>

> The situation of WMFwiki is indeed frustrating, but could we avoid OT in
> this thread? Unless it's a subtle strategy to make the thread useful and
> make people go to <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
> wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#**2012-13<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>>
> (which I'll now try to link from the main page and what not if it isn't).

Never mind - that links to a historical page. I have started the new page
here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan

Risker/Anne
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 29 July 2012 03:32, Risker <risker.wp@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29 July 2012 03:16, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Keegan Peterzell, 29/07/2012 08:29:
>>
>> For editing, that is. I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
>>> wiki: http://wikimediafoundation.**org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell>
>>>

>> The situation of WMFwiki is indeed frustrating, but could we avoid OT in
>> this thread? Unless it's a subtle strategy to make the thread useful and
>> make people go to <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
>> wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#**2012-13<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>>
>> (which I'll now try to link from the main page and what not if it isn't).
>>

> Never mind - that links to a historical page. I have started the new page
> here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan
>

> Risker/Anne

Well, despite my best efforts, the discussion has been redirected back to <
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>

In other words, it is now on the bottom of a discussion page that has not
been touched in 3 years simply because it says something about the WMF
budget. I'm sorry, but whenever we're having a discussion about $46
million, I think it deserves its own page. Not to mention the fact that
this annual plan (which is a bit different than a budget) isn't even in the
same league as the ones from 2004-2009. Nothing on the actual Wikimedia
budget page[1] is up to date, and it doesn't even include the links that
Tilman started this thread with. Perhaps a bit more budget in the area of
community engagement is called for here.

Risker/Anne

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_budget - last edit March 2009
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
> Well, despite my best efforts, the discussion has been redirected
> back to <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>
>
> In other words, it is now on the bottom of a discussion page that has
> not
> been touched in 3 years simply because it says something about the
> WMF
> budget. I'm sorry, but whenever we're having a discussion about $46
> million, I think it deserves its own page. Not to mention the fact
> that
> this annual plan (which is a bit different than a budget) isn't even
> in the
> same league as the ones from 2004-2009. Nothing on the actual
> Wikimedia
> budget page[1] is up to date, and it doesn't even include the links
> that
> Tilman started this thread with. Perhaps a bit more budget in the
> area of
> community engagement is called for here.
>
> Risker/Anne

I am probably to slow to follow real-time developments, but right now
the discussion is on the top of the page, everything else was archived.
For me, this is fine, may be it is indeed easier to use just one page
and not to get distracted over multiple pages.

CheersYaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 7/28/12 5:58 AM, Tilman Bayer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>
> accompanied by a Q&A:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>
> The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.

Slide 8 : "How are we doing against the 2012 targets"

I was stopped by

"The Global Education Program is now the largest-ever systematic effort
of the Wikimedia mouvement to boost high quality content creation, with
a projected addition of 19 million characters to Wikipedia through
student assignements 2011-2012"

OF COURSE, we all know that WMF needs to glorify what it is actually
initiating/in charge of. And that's fair enough.

But seriously... I would feel fine with us trying to claim that the GEP
is the largest system effort to INCREASE the number of articles. It is
probably true.

But we all know that the result is... so and so. Possibly good content,
but also lot's of crap being reverted and deleted afterwards. Claiming
it is the largest effort to boost high quality content is not only
disingenous... but I actually find it counter productive and a tiny bit
offensive toward the actual community.

High quality content simply does NOT come from newbie students.

Florence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Florence Devouard, 29/07/2012 13:37:
> But seriously... I would feel fine with us trying to claim that the GEP
> is the largest system effort to INCREASE the number of articles. It is
> probably true.
>
> But we all know that the result is... so and so. Possibly good content,
> but also lot's of crap being reverted and deleted afterwards. Claiming
> it is the largest effort to boost high quality content is not only
> disingenous... but I actually find it counter productive and a tiny bit
> offensive toward the actual community.

Another passage is interesting too: «We've successfully brought in
thousands of students [...] they typically make a small number of edits
[...] and then leave. [...] initiatives like "Wiki Loves Monuments" have
also achieved very high multimedia participation in spike months (22K
uploaders in September 2011, when WLM took place, returning to normal
levels immediately afterwards).»

Where are the statistics validating this interpretation? I didn't find
anyone able to answer me how many of the thousands participants to WLM
contributed to Commons or another project afterwards. Their motivation
is very different from the students'.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 29 July 2012 07:11, Samuel Klein <meta.sj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's use the page we used to use to discuss plans and budgets:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget

Ok. I've posted a couple of questions there for the WMF to answer
regarding the GAC and FDC.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 29 July 2012 10:07, Risker <risker.wp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, despite my best efforts, the discussion has been redirected back to <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>
>
> In other words, it is now on the bottom of a discussion page that has not
> been touched in 3 years simply because it says something about the WMF
> budget. I'm sorry, but whenever we're having a discussion about $46
> million, I think it deserves its own page. Not to mention the fact that
> this annual plan (which is a bit different than a budget) isn't even in the
> same league as the ones from 2004-2009. Nothing on the actual Wikimedia
> budget page[1] is up to date, and it doesn't even include the links that
> Tilman started this thread with. Perhaps a bit more budget in the area of
> community engagement is called for here.
>
> Risker/Anne
>
> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_budget - last edit March 2009

Just as an FYI for all, this page has now been unprotected, it appears that
it was protected a long time ago (before we had page protection logs), so
feel free to update the page (yes it's a bit of a mess at the moment).
Perhaps we should move all the old budget information to /Archive or at
least collapse it so that only the most relevant information is one there
if we are going to be using it to discuss this plan?

--
Thehelpfulone
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone
Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Florence Devouard, 29/07/2012 13:37:
>
>> But seriously... I would feel fine with us trying to claim that the GEP
>> is the largest system effort to INCREASE the number of articles. It is
>> probably true.
>>
>> But we all know that the result is... so and so. Possibly good content,
>> but also lot's of crap being reverted and deleted afterwards. Claiming
>> it is the largest effort to boost high quality content is not only
>> disingenous... but I actually find it counter productive and a tiny bit
>> offensive toward the actual community.
>

> Another passage is interesting too: «We've successfully brought in thousands
> of students [...] they typically make a small number of edits [...] and then
> leave. [...] initiatives like "Wiki Loves Monuments" have also achieved very
> high multimedia participation in spike months (22K uploaders in September
> 2011, when WLM took place, returning to normal levels immediately
> afterwards).»
>
> Where are the statistics validating this interpretation? I didn't find
> anyone able to answer me how many of the thousands participants to WLM
> contributed to Commons or another project afterwards. Their motivation is
> very different from the students'.
Regarding the "normal levels", I suppose you haven't yet had a chance
to look at http://reportcard.wmflabs.org/graphs/active_editors ?

Also, recently Lodewijk, with the help of WMF data analyst Erik
Zachte, posted this interesting analysis:
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.org/new-editors-thanks-to-wiki-loves-monuments/

If I read it correctly, from the newbies among the WLM participants,
61 were still active in May 2012. This compares to altogether 7053
active editors on Commons during that month (the latter number is from
http://stats.wikimedia.org/wikispecial/EN/TablesWikipediaCOMMONS.htm ;
note that a user who makes just one edit or one upload during a month
falls below the threshold for the currently used active editors
metric). But as the blog post notes, there are efforts underway to
improve retention of new contributors in this year's WLM.