on git hub and are a merger of pywikipediabot and the wikiteam codebases.
hope you enjoy it,
thanks,
mike
--
James Michael DuPont
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3
Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
sorry, not speedydeletion.wika.com but http://speedydeletion.wikia.com
<http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/>thanks,
mike

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 7:37 AM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
Thats great. We've been in need for something like this for a while,
good luck with the project!

Two questions:
Are you planning on letting the authors know there article has been transwikid?
Are you checking if the article actually gets deleted from Wikipedia
or gets recreated?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Mike Dupont

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I need one bit of help, is there any dump file of templates from the en
wikipedia? i would like to import those into the wikia.

I will add services to postprocess the data as we go, for example to look
for articles and mark them as really deleted, updating them if they change
on the main wiki and not yet on the copy. also i am considering to add to
the talk page and to the page of the users, we can do all that yes. I need
to look at how to implement that.

my next step will be to reduce the archive.org backups to only changes,
right now all the articles are taken as a snapshot every 30 minutes,
meaning that there are many copies of articles in the dumps.

I would like to install these scripts on the toolserver if there are no
objections, right now it is running on my laptop.

I also wanted to look for twitter accounts for example embedded in the
articles and tweet people, I did that for a handful of articles. But that
can be done in the future as well, it is not needed right now.

mike

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <martijnhoekstra@gmail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
2012/6/10 Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com>:

> I have launched speedydeletion.wika.com , it is updated every 30 minutes
> with the proposed deletions and speedy deletion articles (not notable and
> hoaxes, not others).

Speedydeleted articles are either no articles at all, thus not worth
discussing, or they are copyright infrigements. I am sorry to say that
I do not happen to understand why you collect those pages in a
separate wiki.

Regards,
Jürgen.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
Not quite - Mike says that " it is updated...with the proposed deletions
and speedy deletion articles (not notable and hoaxes, *not others*)."

Non-notable articles are arguably important to keep - they serve as a basis
for recreating the articles in future, and for easy review by non-admins.
Hoaxes are also important to keep publicy viewable - so that we can stop
similar ones happening again, surely?

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992
Disclaimer viewable at
http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Email_disclaimer
Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Richard Symonds <
richard.symonds@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Non-notable articles are arguably important to keep - they serve as a basis
> for recreating the articles in future, and for easy review by non-admins.

That's true to a point, but only for articles which are marginally
non-notable, or which have the potential to demonstrate notability if
rewritten. An article about, for example, someone's pet goldfish is
unlikely to be of much value to anyone, regardless of where it's located.

If Mike wants to keep such articles around, of course, that's his business;
as far as I can tell, there's no real harm in it.

> Hoaxes are also important to keep publicy viewable - so that we can stop
> similar ones happening again, surely?

This is where I think things become slightly problematic. There are, in
broad terms, two categories of hoaxes: those which are fundamentally
harmless (these typically being of the "did you know that 'gullible' isn't
in the dictionary" variety), and those which have the potential to be
harmful (including, but not limited to, false statements about drugs,
crimes, politically explosive issues, etc.). The speedy deletion system
makes no real attempt to distinguish between these (with the exception of
blatant attacks on living people, which have their own deletion tag), but
retaining the second category in a publicly-viewable (and
publicly-searcheable?) form is probably not desirable.

Kirill
Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
well originally i wanted just not notable, but i was interested in hoaxes
personally. let me see,

http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/index.php?search=hoax&fulltext=Search

<http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/index.php?search=hoax&fulltext=Search>they
are clearly marked and might contain something interesting some day

thanks,
mike

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Richard Symonds <

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin@gmail.com>wrote:

> This is where I think things become slightly problematic. There are, in
> broad terms, two categories of hoaxes: those which are fundamentally
> harmless (these typically being of the "did you know that 'gullible' isn't
> in the dictionary" variety), and those which have the potential to be
> harmful (including, but not limited to, false statements about drugs,
> crimes, politically explosive issues, etc.). The speedy deletion system
> makes no real attempt to distinguish between these (with the exception of
> blatant attacks on living people, which have their own deletion tag), but
> retaining the second category in a publicly-viewable (and
> publicly-searcheable?) form is probably not desirable.

I am willing to delete articles from the wikia, they are also archived on
archive.org.
it would be nice to work out a detailed tagging system to work out what may
be archived and what not.
We can remove categories and add them.

But lets look at some of these,
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Ipod_5.5_generation this looks like
someone who is providing infomation in the wrong way, but could be valid.
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Trantlers this is funny and would like
to keep it and add a picture of it, maybe to a humor section. this one too
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Trantlas

http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Willyfor this is strange , but might
be some meme or urban legend. I guess unencylopedia.
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Like_Dis_Like_Dat same here, this is
also unencylopedia material.

now this looks like a hoax , and could be deleted, but also unencylopedia
stuff.
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Aman_hadid

personally I am interested in non notable articles, my experience with
dealing with encouraging editors and collection creative commons licensed
information
on places that are not very notable like villages in kosovo could be helped
with these articles.
if we can find authors who are willing to write about non notable topics,
maybe we can collect them and categorize them.
this could be a recruiting mechanism and also provide good basic data and
maybe new contributors for wikitravel and openstreetmap.
with a staging system like this speedydeletion wikia you will have a way to
demote articles to the speedy deletion purgatory where they might redeem
themselves.
Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
What happens to your system if an article is deleted from Wikipedia, a new
article is posted again under the same name, and then that one is also
deleted?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
good question,
The raw data is not lost : the archive.org will get a snapshot every 30
minutes of the items that are categorized.

the wikia right now will not be updated: There is not any code for the
updating of the article, once it is in the wikia.

I would be interesting to get the full history of each article, if it is
replaced after deletion, i suppose that a new page or subpage would be
needed if it is deleted again, maybe a fine history would be good enough.

In any case if articles last more than 30 minutes in the speedy deletion
category they will be archived.

mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
How are you attributing the work and ensuring that the license conditions
are met?

Risker

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
Hi,

About copyright , the articles do not contain "G12. Unambiguous copyright
infringement.", I can only trust the category system from wikipedia is
working. I am willing to help fine tune the speedy deletion system to be
specific about what articles are original copyrighted material.

there is more work to do on attribution, the dumps on archive.org does
contain an attribution of wikipedia in general and the creative commones
license for the entire bucket,
http://archive.org/details/wikipedia-delete-2012-05
http://archive.org/details/wikipedia-delete-2012-06

The individual users names are only visible in the data files, I assume we
could collect them..

For the wikia, at this point I am using the standard wikia template
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Wikipedia-deleted, so the
articles should have a text like this and the name of the last author :
[image: Smallwikipedialogo.png] This page uses content that was added to *
Wikipedia* <http://en.wikipedia.org/>. The article has been deleted from
Wikipedia. The original article was written by these Wikipedia users:
Ammodramus.
As with this wiki (Speedy deletion Wiki), the text of Wikipedia is
available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported
License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>.

Again the full history is available on archive.org and i think that no one
is going to think that this data is from me, it is clearly marked as being
from wikipedia.

mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
This is great. Thank you, Mike! It would be nice to see this done
for historically speedied articles, too. Sam.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 3:37 AM, Mike Dupont
<jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have launched speedydeletion.wika.com , it is updated every 30 minutes
> with the proposed deletions and speedy deletion articles (not notable and
> hoaxes, not others).
> it is running on the en.wikipedia.org. the sources for the script are all
> on git hub and are a merger of pywikipediabot and the wikiteam codebases.
> hope you enjoy it,
> thanks,
> mike
> --
> James Michael DuPont
> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
In my short experience studying this, there are some articles that might be
deleted very quickly, not even waiting 30 minutes.

If I look here at monthly dumps, http://dumps.wikimedia.org/enwiki/ then
we would be missing many articles that were created and deleted between the
two dumps. We could look in total what articles were deleted

Historical data, I guess they could be extracted from older dumps, to
extract the list of articles tagged with categories based on a series of
dumps.
right now I am pulling them every thirty minutes, it would be possible to
scan historical dumps and find any articles that are no longer in the newer
dumps.

The deletion logs here
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log/delete we could scan
those, but as i said, how to get the text?

the CPU usage for something like that would go way over my current
processing. we could as I said install in on the toolserver, I would have
to work on the code for a bit first.
so, this comes down to the question, do we have a full log of the deleted
articles ?

thanks,
mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
Although I can understand the appeal of this concept, I am concerned
that a deleted-articles wiki or site will perpetuate the publicity
given to pages that are properly deleted from Wikipedia because they
contain offensive personal attacks, harassment, cyberbullying,
defamation, and BLP violations. These are not always flagged in the
deletion grounds, especially in speedy situations (e.g. if a harassing
or defamatory article does not assert the subject's notability, it
will often be deleted on that ground without its being tagged as an
attack page, etc.). This issue strikes me as extremely serious. How do
you plan to address it?

Newyorkbrad

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
My view is that we just need a proper tagging system when deleting them to
know which are harassing and violating the peoples rights.
I want to also help here and protect peoples rights, but I also want to
scrape out valid copyrighted material that is not worthy yet of wikipedia.
Are there no tag for such things?
thanks,
mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
After rereading your question, it boils down to if the tags are wrong. If
the tags are wrong we will have to deal with them on a case by case issue,
and I see that we will have to do more finer tagging of articles to be
deleted, I hope that this will be the outcome of my effort to see that
articles that are properly tagged and deleted according to a fair and
transparent set of rules. lets work on this together to make the wikipedia
better.

What is the current policy now? you have articles in dumps that contain
these offending materials i presume if they are not that new. What is the
difference between a dump on wikpedia and a dump on archive.org, and a dump
on wikia?

thanks,

mike

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 7:36 AM, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
I think we need to ensure that BLP deletions are tagged appropriately.

and this wikia needs to err on the side of caution in order to avoid
causing subjects further grief in their pursuit to remove problematic
content from Wikipedia. i.e. if someone jumps through all the hoops
to *help* us remove problematic content from Wikipedia, they are not
going to be happy to learn that the same content has appeared on Wikia
- its confusing, and they will blame Wikipedia, and IMO they are right
to do so as this Wikia is run by people in the Wikimedia community,
and due to the overlap in the WMF board and Wikia board, now and
historically.

e.g. this AFD mentioned "WP:BLP1E" and was categorised into "AfD
debates (Biographical)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Alexander_Kinyua
http://speedydeletion.wikia.com/wiki/Alexander_Kinyua

Until we are confident that BLP problems are not being imported into
the wikia, the content shouldnt be indexed. I assume __NOINDEX__
works on Wikia?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Newyorkbrad <newyorkbrad@gmail.com> wrote:
> Although I can understand the appeal of this concept, I am concerned
> that a deleted-articles wiki or site will perpetuate the publicity
> given to pages that are properly deleted from Wikipedia because they
> contain offensive personal attacks, harassment, cyberbullying,
> defamation, and BLP violations. These are not always flagged in the
> deletion grounds, especially in speedy situations (e.g. if a harassing
> or defamatory article does not assert the subject's notability, it
> will often be deleted on that ground without its being tagged as an
> attack page, etc.). This issue strikes me as extremely serious. How do
> you plan to address it?
>
> Newyorkbrad
>
> On 6/10/12, Mike  Dupont <jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have launched speedydeletion.wika.com , it is updated every 30 minutes
>> with the proposed deletions and speedy deletion articles (not notable and
>> hoaxes, not others).
>> it is running on the en.wikipedia.org. the sources for the script are all
>> on git hub and are a merger of pywikipediabot and the wikiteam codebases.
>> hope you enjoy it,
>> thanks,
>> mike
>> --
>> James Michael DuPont
>> Member of Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova http://flossk.org
>> Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org
>> Mozilla Rep https://reps.mozilla.org/u/h4ck3rm1k3

John Vandenberg

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
On 11 June 2012 08:40, Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont@googlemail.com> wrote:

> After rereading your question, it boils down to if the tags are wrong. If
> the tags are wrong we will have to deal with them on a case by case issue,
> and I see that we will have to do more finer tagging of articles to be
> deleted, I hope that this will be the outcome of my effort to see that
> articles that are properly tagged and deleted according to a fair and
> transparent set of rules. lets work on this together to make the wikipedia
> better.

I'm not sure if this is beneficial. Speedy tagging is the first line for
removing junk, inappropriate content, spam and obvious hoaxes. THe material
is of such low quality the only consideration is that it is deleted - not
how well we tag it for deletion.

Expending more effort on this material is non-optimal.

Tom
Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
This has been tried before, i.e. wikialpha.org. Pages are speedily deleted for a reason, many of them quite properly so. Moving potentially libelous BLP attack pages and other sundry junk to a publicly viewable wiki is not a very well-thought-out idea.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
http://deletionpedia.dbatley.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page also worked
up until a few months ago.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
I think a lot of those efforts petered out because, in the end, the
material was of so little utility no one was interested in it.

Or to put it another way; it was being archived for the sake of it, more
than anything else.

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
There was a site (I think it was deletionpedia or something) which
collected non-speedied articles which were deleted. I found that
interesting; a collection of fringe notable articles and topics. I think
that stopped collecting years ago; is that something you would be
interested in adding to your wiki?
Re: [Wikimedia-l] speedydeletion.wika.com lauched [ In reply to ]
To answer your question, any article nominated for deletion is also
archived.

Well my personal motivation was that some of my articles were deleted
because of notability and i see many articles in kosovo deleted, so I want
to preserve them.

Anyway, It does not cost much and I am learning. I hope that it will have
some impact, lets see.
mike