Mailing List Archive

[Wikimedia-l] Harvard University: Drop paywalled journals, publish open access
Tangential, but highly relevant to the goal of free content:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/apr/24/harvard-university-journal-publishers-prices

"Exasperated by rising subscription costs charged by academic
publishers, Harvard University has encouraged its faculty members to
make their research freely available through open access journals and
to resign from publications that keep articles behind paywalls."

http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k77982&tabgroupid=icb.tabgroup143448

"The Library has never received anything close to full reimbursement
for these expenditures from overhead collected by the University on
grant and research funds. The Faculty Advisory Council to the Library,
representing university faculty in all schools and in consultation
with the Harvard Library leadership, reached this conclusion: major
periodical subscriptions, especially to electronic journals published
by historically key providers, cannot be sustained: continuing these
subscriptions on their current footing is financially untenable. Doing
so would seriously erode collection efforts in many other areas,
already compromised."

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Harvard University: Drop paywalled journals, publish open access [ In reply to ]
I wouldn't even say it's tangential: I would say that it is, in fact,
exactly what we want and exactly what we should be supporting. +10
internets to Harvard. They may not be as good as Cambridge, but they're
proving to be a good second all the same ;-)

Richard Symonds
Office & Development Manager
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992
07885 764 613

Wikimedia UK is the operating name of Wiki UK Limited, a Company Limited by
Guarantee registered in England and Wales, Registered No. 6741827.
Registered Charity No.1144513. Registered Office 4th Floor, Development
House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of the Wikimedia Foundation (who
operate Wikipedia,
amongst other projects). It is an independent non-profit organization with
no legal control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Harvard University: Drop paywalled journals, publish open access [ In reply to ]
2012/4/24 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>

> Tangential, but highly relevant to the goal of free content:
>

> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/apr/24/harvard-university-journal-publishers-prices
>
> "Exasperated by rising subscription costs charged by academic
> publishers, Harvard University has encouraged its faculty members to
> make their research freely available through open access journals and
> to resign from publications that keep articles behind paywalls."
>

> http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k77982&tabgroupid=icb.tabgroup143448
>
> "The Library has never received anything close to full reimbursement
> for these expenditures from overhead collected by the University on
> grant and research funds. The Faculty Advisory Council to the Library,
> representing university faculty in all schools and in consultation
> with the Harvard Library leadership, reached this conclusion: major
> periodical subscriptions, especially to electronic journals published
> by historically key providers, cannot be sustained: continuing these
> subscriptions on their current footing is financially untenable. Doing
> so would seriously erode collection efforts in many other areas,
> already compromised."

Meanwhile in Wikipedia we accept these "gifts"[1] to put links to paywall
content.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:HighBeam

--
Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/