Mailing List Archive

Wikimedia Foundation monthly meeting video
Every month, there's a meeting at the Wikimedia Foundation offices
(with remote call-in) where we review recent metrics and activities in
the different departments for the previous month. Starting with the
meeting covering January, which took place on February 2, we are now
capturing these meetings on video.

You can see the video capture for the most recent meeting here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Monthly_Metrics_Meeting_February_2,_2012.theora.ogv

Going forward, we will simply link to these videos from the monthly
report and not announce it separately.

Note that I've uploaded the highest resolution copy, which clocks in
at 1.9G (this should allow you to see pretty well what's going on on
the screen). This is inconvenient for streaming unless you have a very
good connection, so I recommend downloading. In future, videos will be
automatically transcoded to multiple resolutions, but if you'd like to
make a lower resolution copy available for the interim, it's
appreciated.

Feel free to respond in this thread if you have any questions about
the contents of the meeting. Generally the structure is as follows,
interspersed with questions, discussion and lawyer jokes:

* Erik, Garfield and Gayle walk through impact, finance and HR
metrics, respectively
* Department heads give updates about their respective areas
* Sue closes with some final words, typically referring to recent
events or organizational priorities

All best,
Erik
--
Erik Möller

Re: Wikimedia Foundation monthly meeting video [ In reply to ]
I've not yet had a chance to watch the video so I can't speak about the
technical aspects (or the content), but I would like to say THANKS for
doing this! I'm looking forward to videoing of presentations like this
being a standard procedure in the future. This will enable more people to
stay up-to-date with the activities of the WMF as well as demystify the
organisation a little bit more.

Aside from these "official" presentations, the WMF office also has a
regular series of lunchtime presentations (delivered by staff or visiting
guests). For example Brandon Harris gave this one aboutt the forthcoming
mobile interface design (codename "Athena") in November last year:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Athena-brownbag-brandon-harris-2011-11-04.ogvHowever,
AFAIK, that is the only one that was filmed. It would be great
(once the technical aspects are sorted out), if all such presentations
could be filmed and made available.

While the content of every presentation won't be interesting to every
person, I think that showing the *real human beings* that work at the WMF
talking about what they do will go a great distance towards bridging a
perceived transparency gap when people talk about "The Foundation".
Portrait photos on the staff page and IRC "office hours" are good, but
nothing is quite like video for humanising an organisation.
For example: I just found this video -
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Foundation_Wikipedia_Blackout_SOPA_January_18,_2012.theora.ogva
recording of the office the moment en.wp began the SOPA blackout.
Whatever everyone's personal opinion on the protest itself, it certainly is
engaging and humanising!

So - here's to more content being added to
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Foundation_videos !

-Liam

Peace, love & metadata

Re: Wikimedia Foundation monthly meeting video [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the video.
One remark : for the futures ones, would it be possible to improve the
soundtrack,
the understanding would be easier for non english native speakers.

Thierry

Thierry Coudray
Administrateur - Trésorier
Wikimédia France <http://www.wikimedia.fr/>
Mob. 06.82.85.84.40
http://blog.wikimedia.fr/
Re: Wikimedia Foundation monthly meeting video [ In reply to ]
Hello,

This is very good, but downloading a video of 1.9 GB is totally out of
question here.
FYI, most Internet connection scheme in India give a maximum of 5 GB monthly.
So a smaller version would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Yann

Wikimedia Foundation monthly meeting video [ In reply to ]