banner with the same energy we use to raise money to raise editor
numbers. This idea has been trialed to a limited extent here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Invitation_to_edit but the
effort did not have sufficient data crunching behind it to determine
if it works.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
I tend to agree. At times of Fundraising, public interest grows
noticeably. People have been asking me aobut the banners almost every
day for the last few weeks. (A few times they even asked me whether
they are going to see a personal appeal from Amir Aharoni soon.)

I don't think that i ever saw a focused "personal appeal + photo"
banner that asks people to edit instead of asking them for money. I
did sometime see graphical banners in Wikipedias in various languages
that invite people to edit or participate in writing contests.
Something like this is happening in the Tamil Wikipedia now (
http://ta.wikipedia.org/ ). I don't know how effective it is - it's
worth checking.

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Hello,

In principle it is a nice idea. But it is extremely diffcult to "edit"
(to make substantial contributions) so such an initiative should be
accompanied by more than a simple appeal...

Kind regards
Ziko

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
I would pitch it as a simple appeal to edit the Wikipedia article on
your hometown (or home neighborhood if you're from a big city).

In my experience, something like this has been attractive to a very
broad spectrum of people, and gives them a nice "in" as a place to get
started.

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
I fully agree!

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
> The fundraiser for money has been working exceedingly well with our
> number of donors increasing 10 fold since 2008. What we need now is a
> fundraiser for editors. I meet well educated professionals who use
> Wikipedia but have no ideas that they can edit it. We need to run a
> banner with the same energy we use to raise money to raise editor
> numbers. This idea has been trialed to a limited extent here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Invitation_to_edit but the
> effort did not have sufficient data crunching behind it to determine
> if it works.

Data in the file from 2011-01-26 is not too good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ENnewEditors.jpg

Look at December 2011 -> in the file <7k, on the site >7k:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaEN.htm

Nov 2011 = 6734 now. These stats are not stable - last month is always the worst.

But invitation to edit is good idea. In pl wiki it works well. The last edition (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:10_prac_na_10_lat_Wikipedii invitation by anonnotice only) gave us in July 2011 more active editors:

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/pl/activeusers/365

Compare with ja, it, nl, sv, ru or es wikis

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/ja/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/it/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/nl/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/sv/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/ru/activeusers/365

http://www.wikistatistics.net/wiki/es/activeusers/365

These actions work well for a month. We ask readers for improve articles (the quest must be specific -> What do we need to do / how could you help us)

Przykuta

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
One simple idea I had (personal capacity, etc etc) - we stick lots of
banners at the top of the article saying "this has X problem! Be
careful!". Would it be possible to have them appear differently to
say, anonymous IPs, and display a more friendly message encouraging
the users to register and deal with the problem themselves, linking to
a guide focused on that specific tag (an "unreferenced" tag would lead
to a "here's how to add references to articles" short guide, for
example)?

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Hi Amir,

I think this will be every effective. We should try this idea.

Thanks,
naveenpf

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Pharos <pharosofalexandria@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would pitch it as a simple appeal to edit the Wikipedia article on
> your hometown (or home neighborhood if you're from a big city).
>
> In my experience, something like this has been attractive to a very
> broad spectrum of people, and gives them a nice "in" as a place to get
> started.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> (User:Pharos)

Big cities usually work a lot better than small towns or medium sized
cities, where inclusion of local places are often reverted due to lack
of assertions of notability.

English Wikipeidia user Chzz inspired an essay that I host, for new users
strictly looking to edit: <
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan/Butterfly>

We use the essay to reference people trying to create or edit articles that
they have a conflict of interest with to get them started editing Wikipedia
as an encyclopedia instead of a motivate-driven platform.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Keegan Peterzell, 03/01/2012 08:41:
> Big cities usually work a lot better than small towns or medium sized
> cities, where inclusion of local places are often reverted due to lack
> of assertions of notability.
>
> English Wikipeidia user Chzz inspired an essay that I host, for new users
> strictly looking to edit:<
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan/Butterfly>
>
> We use the essay to reference people trying to create or edit articles that
> they have a conflict of interest with to get them started editing Wikipedia
> as an encyclopedia instead of a motivate-driven platform.

I hope you're not using it even for cities.

Nemo

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
@Amir.

Thanks for citing Tamil Wikipedia here. Actually it was a GREAT success in
Tamil Wiki. We got many talented editors & thousands of new registrations.

Actually I am not mentioning the number here but people got to know that
"what Wikipedia actually is! & the community behind the project"

Once again "It's a successful project in Tamil Wikipedia". :)

*$U®¥∩*
http://goo.gl/RoMyo.com <http://FirefoxSurya.blogspot.com>
http://about.me/suryaceg

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
I am not suggesting that we use just a simple banner. We need to
create something with a picture of a Wikipedian with text like "join
us in improving the world leading encyclopedia, click here to learn
how."

Than when people click it will ask them "what sort of subject area are
you interested in" with options like medicine and
grammar/copyrediting, etc.

After which it would displace important thing people need to now for
the topic area or task they have shown interest in. For medicine they
would be given guidelines on what are appropriate references and a
link to WikiProject medicine where they can post comments.

This effort would be supported by the number crunchers at the WMF who
would determine which messages received more clicks and which messages
resulted in more editors. The banner shown could also be subject area
specific where we could test if having a medical student request
someone joins us is more effective than having someone with a
significant medical condition etc.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Yes. the same thing has done in Tamil Wikipedia.

We displayed users from different area of interest.

Example: My banner reads

"Surya Prakash is a 2nd year Engineering student who is editing Chemistry,
Physics related articles in Wikipedia. You too can edit!"

with my picture. :) (Click here to see: Site Notice project
page<http://tawp.in/r/2gav>)
Please see the way we did. :)

Feel free to comment on it.

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
James Heilman, 03/01/2012 17:36:
> I am not suggesting that we use just a simple banner. We need to
> create something with a picture of a Wikipedian with text like "join
> us in improving the world leading encyclopedia, click here to learn
> how."
>
> Than when people click it will ask them "what sort of subject area are
> you interested in" with options like medicine and
> grammar/copyrediting, etc.
>
> After which it would displace important thing people need to now for
> the topic area or task they have shown interest in. For medicine they
> would be given guidelines on what are appropriate references and a
> link to WikiProject medicine where they can post comments.

I'm quite sure this would scare them off.
What about professional video instructions on fundamentals, like WMIT
WikiGuides? <http://wikimedia.it/index.php/WikiGuide/en>
They've been promoted only with very, very small sitenotices; perhaps
the appeal from editor + video model (thested thouroughly by WMDE I
think) could work, and because the video is ready it could be tested
easily on it.wiki.

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
On 1/3/12 1:41 AM, Keegan Peterzell wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Pharos<pharosofalexandria@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would pitch it as a simple appeal to edit the Wikipedia article on
>> your hometown (or home neighborhood if you're from a big city).
>>
>> In my experience, something like this has been attractive to a very
>> broad spectrum of people, and gives them a nice "in" as a place to get
>> started.
>
> Big cities usually work a lot better than small towns or medium sized
> cities, where inclusion of local places are often reverted due to lack
> of assertions of notability.

I agree cities are probably better, but I don't think that's really the
best place to start editing Wikipedia either, because it's an area where
it's really easy for new users to mistakenly think that they should
write content based on their personal experience rather than on sources.
We can try to explain that, but the nature of the subject matter imo
makes it more likely to be an issue. The sources there are often
particularly problematic as well, with a lot of good info tangled up
with tourism/boosterism type sources.

The smoothest new-user editing experience, from what I can tell, tends
to be source-first rather than topic-first: someone who's interested in
Byzantine churches, for example, and has in front of them a quality book
on Byzantine churches, will (I think) usually have a good experience
creating new articles on individual churches that cite that book (the
most common road-bump here is that their articles may get tagged as
orphans).

One possibility could be to rotate subject-specific "how to get started"
appeals. Something like: "Interested in architecture? [.Pithy appeal that
links to brief, newbie-friendly info on how to contribute on the subject
of architecture]"

-Mark

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]

> I agree cities are probably better, but I don't think that's really the
> best place to start editing Wikipedia either, because it's an area where
> it's really easy for new users to mistakenly think that they should
> write content based on their personal experience rather than on sources.

What do you think about libraries? ^^

przykuta

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Przykuta <przykuta@o2.pl> wrote:

>> I agree cities are probably better, but I don't think that's really the
>> best place to start editing Wikipedia either, because it's an area where
>> it's really easy for new users to mistakenly think that they should
>> write content based on their personal experience rather than on sources.
>
> What do you think about libraries? ^^

FWIW, this was actually the focus of the Seattle Wikipedia Loves
Libraries event:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/seattleWLL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_libraries_in_Seattle

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Full support here!

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM, James Heilman <jmh649@gmail.com> wrote:
> The fundraiser for money has been working exceedingly well with our
> number of donors increasing 10 fold since 2008. What we need now is a
> fundraiser for editors. I meet well educated professionals who use
> Wikipedia but have no ideas that they can edit it. We need to run a
> banner with the same energy we use to raise money to raise editor
> numbers. This idea has been trialed to a limited extent here
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Invitation_to_edit but the
> effort did not have sufficient data crunching behind it to determine
> if it works.

James,

thanks for this note! The problem, as I see it, is that we know that
new editors, once they attempt to make their first edit, hit an
enormous number of barriers. Even if they master mark-up (which is a
big IF), they're likely to fail when their edits get reverted due to
lack of proper citations or other issues.

We built http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:FeedbackDashboard as a
way to surface what frustrations new editors have. Ignoring the noise
(people who shouldn't edit or who're trying to do harm), you'll get
the same issues again and again:
- basic editing is very hard
- communication via talk pages is very confusing
- copyright issues are complicated and unfamiliar
- article rejections or reverts feel arbitrary and unfair
- finding the right way to upload images is complicated

It's now possible to help those users with a built-in response tool,
and it's possible for new users to mark these responses as helpful or
not. Over time, this may surface easy ways in which the community can
ease the pain of new users. (FeedbackDashboard is on English and Dutch
Wikipedia and on Incubator. We're happy to install it on more wikis,
but it probably won't work well in smaller communities due to lack of
scale.)

There are certain types of new user recruitment which do _not_ hit as
many issues. One is the high-touch recruitment at universities via
assignment or other means. It requires a fair amount of effort per
student, but provided that the preconditions are right, those students
tend to turn out high-quality work. The biggest issues have been in
India where the quality of edits was much lower than hoped for. See:
http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Education_Program
and related links -- again, there's lots of opportunity here to help
these students.

A second area is multimedia campaigns. While finding the right way to
upload is hard when you're a new user, if you point people directly at
a customized UploadWizard at Commons, the success rate is pretty high.
This has been demonstrated by community/chapter campaigns like "Wiki
Loves Monuments 2011" (~180,000 photos) and "TamilWiki Media Contest
(~5,500 photos so far), which have brought lots of new users into the
fold.

I'd love to hear other successes/failures. I'm skeptical about a
sitenotice/banner-focused approach until we've addressed some of the
_known_ issues that new users are likely to encounter. We could
shortcut things a little by focusing a lot on mentoring tools, but IMO
that would be more band-aid -- we need to address the fundamental
issues. Here are some of the things we're doing:

1) Steven and Maryana in the Community Department have been running
tests to see if different types of warning messages reduce people's
early frustration and increase their retention:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_user_warnings/Testing

2) The Feedback Dashboard itself has response mechanisms, including
now a "Mark as Helpful" feature for new users to quickly acknowledge
whether a given response has been useful to them.

3) The Visual Editor, once completed, will hopefully reduce a huge
amount of the basic usability challenges people encounter. Projects
like UploadWizard help with that, as well.

4) Tools like AFTv5 potentially offer a casual entry-way into the
world of editing without the risk of reversion or other negative
experiences. Some users may only ever submit comments/suggestions, but
hopefully some of them will also "graduate" to editing given
sufficient encouragement.

5) Next we're going to experiment specifically with the mechanisms
used for patrolling and creating pages. See:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/New_Page_Triage
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_creation_workflow

This is a frequent pain point both for new and experienced editors and
we hope we can take some of that away by working closely with the
community in reforming processes and tools.

6) After that we'll have to think about challenges like messaging
(talk pages are horribly broken), identity (user profile setup), and
affiliation (joining and managing WikiProjects etc.).

Lots to do :)
--
Erik Möller

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
On 1/3/2012 3:08 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:
> The Feedback Dashboard itself has response mechanisms, including
> now a "Mark as Helpful" feature for new users to quickly acknowledge
> whether a given response has been useful to them.
Not disputing that the talk page system might have bigger issues, but it
strikes me that adding "Mark as Helpful" specifically to user talk
messages could be a good addition as well, assuming that the current
implementation indicates the feature has a positive impact.

--Michael Snow

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
On 1/3/12 3:30 PM, Michael Snow wrote:
> On 1/3/2012 3:08 PM, Erik Moeller wrote:
>> The Feedback Dashboard itself has response mechanisms, including
>> now a "Mark as Helpful" feature for new users to quickly acknowledge
>> whether a given response has been useful to them.
> Not disputing that the talk page system might have bigger issues, but it
> strikes me that adding "Mark as Helpful" specifically to user talk
> messages could be a good addition as well, assuming that the current
> implementation indicates the feature has a positive impact.

The "Mark as Helpful" functionality was actually implemented as its own
extension rather than a subset of the Feedback Dashboard with precisely
this intent in mind (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mark_as_Helpful)

We didn't want to lock the widget into only working on FBD responses;
we think it might be useful to explore its effects on the quality of our
help pages, for instance, or even possibly revisions themselves.

Of course, the feature may not actually work at all or have so little
impact as to be negligible.

--
Brandon Harris, Senior Designer, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:08:12 -0800
> From: Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] A fundraiser for editors
> <foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
>
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 8:53 AM, James Heilman <jmh649@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The fundraiser for money has been working exceedingly well with our
>> number of donors increasing 10 fold since 2008. What we need now is a
>> fundraiser for editors. I meet well educated professionals who use
>> Wikipedia but have no ideas that they can edit it. We need to run a
>> banner with the same energy we use to raise money to raise editor
>> numbers. This idea has been trialed to a limited extent here
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Invitation_to_edit but the
>> effort did not have sufficient data crunching behind it to determine
>> if it works.
>
> James,
>
> thanks for this note! The problem, as I see it, is that we know that
> new editors, once they attempt to make their first edit, hit an
> enormous number of barriers. Even if they master mark-up (which is a
> big IF), they're likely to fail when their edits get reverted due to
> lack of proper citations or other issues.

I'd just like to echo this. As part of Wikimedia Australia's outreach
programmes, I've done more than a few academies, and once we get them
to write their articles initially in the user space, the #1 problem by
far we encounter is difficulty with the markup and editing interface.
One comment that I received (from a PhD, no less) was along the lines
of "Wow, this is a throwback, like editing text in the old MS-DOS
days".

I keep an enthusiastic eye out for the WYSIWYG editor, and it does
look like it's bubbling along quite nicely. It won't solve all of the
problems, but I think that once it is complete and implemented, we
will see an increase in the retention rates of editors, particularly
editors who are not traditionally considered to be computer power
users, or who have not had the benefit of growing up with this sort of
technology.

Regards,
Craig Franklin

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
If anyone is feeling inspired by the ideas in this thread and would like to
propose a fellowship project aimed at attracting and retaining more
editors, the WMF Community Fellowship application process is still open:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Fellowships

> Full support here!

> the
> where
> sources.
> > >
> > > What do you think about libraries? ^^
> >
> > FWIW, this was actually the focus of the Seattle Wikipedia Loves
> > Libraries event:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/seattleWLL
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_libraries_in_Seattle
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
> > (User:Pharos)

Siko Bouterse
Head of Community Fellowships
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

sbouterse@wikimedia.org
Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Actually, do we have somewhere a concise page with a list of say ten most
urgent needs we need money for? Smth a banner can link to?

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: A fundraiser for editors [ In reply to ]
Actually, the initiative of "Article Feedback Tool" is going pretty
much into this direction, asking people (readers) to participate in a
way they like and ultimately also making a path to make them
contributors.

Kind regards
Ziko

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Article_feedback/Version_5