Mailing List Archive

The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug
> > It's been a requested feature for a while, Someone finally
> > got around to writing it

Who has asked for such a silly feature?
Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.

But perhaps the same people that organized the Indian desaster or the image filter acclamation were in charge.
Or someone posing as "Women from the South" have been asked to request the change (Yes I belive thats a possibility after this years experiance with the WMF)

> * How many existing uploads, used on the wikis, were
> previously wrongly rotated and were fixed by the feature?

Guess: Zero - the uploader had already stored the image in the correct orientation.

> * How many existing uploads, used on the wikis, were
> previously correctly rotated and were messed up by the feature?

Thousends - see the backlog of the bot. And there are more to come for months.

> i.e., was there strong reason to apply it to past images, not
> just new ones?

Don't ask, you need no reason if you work directly with the WMF.

Re: The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug [ In reply to ]
2011/12/12 Möller, Carsten <c.moeller@wmco.de>:

>> > It's been a requested feature for a while, Someone finally
>> > got around to writing it
>
> Who has asked for such a silly feature?

Many people indeed. I wanted that since I had my first camera with
rotation exif data.

> Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.

Not necessarely. An example is the Flickr pictures from "pro"
accounts. Many such users upload their pictures in bulk, but they only
rotate them after upload. This leaves the small, medium and large
previews correctly rotated, but the original (which is uploaded on
commons) remains non-rotated.

>> i.e., was there strong reason to apply it to past images, not
>> just new ones?
>
> Don't ask, you need no reason if you work directly with the WMF.

No, there wasn't. But hey, there is no software without bugs and no
people that never made mistakes.

Strainu

Re: The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug [ In reply to ]
On 12 December 2011 19:22, Möller, Carsten <c.moeller@wmco.de> wrote:

>> > It's been a requested feature for a while, Someone finally
>> > got around to writing it
>
> Who has asked for such a silly feature?
> Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.

I've certainly uploaded screwily-rotated files before; it's fairly
common, especially with some Windows software, for an image to be
shown to the user as rotated while retaining its "set" rotation in a
way that's not visible until it's sent somewhere.

I agree applying it to old images was a bit of an odd thing to do (if
they were visibly wrong, someone usually went to the effort of
re-uploading them), but that doesn't mean applying it to later ones
was somehow a stupid thing to do.

As to how common it might be in general... testing on Commons is
tricky, but I've spent a few minutes sampling the Flickr live upload
feed. Over about 20 pages of 20 images each, I found eight
wrongly-rotated shots, or eight in 400 ~~ 2%. It's not Commons, of
course, but it is indicative.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/11 9:47 PM, Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 12 December 2011 19:22, Möller, Carsten<c.moeller@wmco.de> wrote:
>> Who has asked for such a silly feature?
>> Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.
> I've certainly uploaded screwily-rotated files before; it's fairly
> common, especially with some Windows software, for an image to be
> shown to the user as rotated while retaining its "set" rotation in a
> way that's not visible until it's sent somewhere.
This is also the default in OSX, fwiw, in both iPhoto and Preview. I
would suspect that many casual users don't even realize that a rotation
is happening: their camera's orientation sensor sets an EXIF flag, and
Preview then displays the image with the correct orientation based on
the EXIF, all done silently. Subsequently uploading it to Commons
*prior* to the new auto-rotation support is then likely to have resulted
in unexpected results.

(I agree on the troubles with old images.)

-Mark

Re: The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug [ In reply to ]
On 13/12/11 06:22, Möller, Carsten wrote:
>> i.e., was there strong reason to apply it to past images, not
>> just new ones?
>
> Don't ask, you need no reason if you work directly with the WMF.

The main developer for this project was a volunteer, and it was
requested by Commons users. If the WMF was at fault, it was only at
the review stage.

-- Tim Starling