Mailing List Archive

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Stanton Foundation Awards Wikimedia $3.6 Million for Technology Improvements
Jay Walsh wrote:
> SAN FRANCISCO, CA - October 5, 2011 - The Wikimedia Foundation announced
> today it has been awarded the largest-ever grant in its history: $3.6
> million from the Stanton Foundation. The purpose of the grant is to fund
> major investments in the technology infrastructure that supports Wikipedia
> and its sister projects, in order to successfully serve their growing
> readership. The Wikimedia projects currently reach more than 422 million
> unique visitors around the world every month (comScore, August 2011), making
> Wikipedia the fifth most-popular website in the world.
>
> The grant will fund development of a new editing interface that will make it
> possible for people to easily edit Wikipedia without needing to learn
> special wiki syntax. It will also support development of new technical
> features to make Wikimedia a friendlier and more understandable environment
> for new editors, and an improved mobile experience for readers and editors.

Is the grant restricted or unrestricted? (Is there a copy of the agreement
somewhere?)

Apologies if this is obvious or already stated elsewhere. I couldn't figure
it out.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Stanton Foundation Awards Wikimedia $3.6 Million for Technology Improvements [ In reply to ]
MZMcBride, 06/10/2011 05:13:
> Is the grant restricted or unrestricted? (Is there a copy of the agreement
> somewhere?)

The WMF said very clearly that they're not accepting restricted grants
any longer, so I assumed it's unrestricted.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Stanton Foundation Awards Wikimedia $3.6 Million for Technology Improvements [ In reply to ]
Wow, that's great!

On 10/06/2011 05:13 AM, MZMcBride wrote:
> Is the grant restricted or unrestricted? (Is there a copy of the
> agreement somewhere?)

I'm not sure if it's any more restricted than the summary says:

>> The purpose of the grant is to fund major investments in the
>> technology infrastructure that supports Wikipedia and its sister
>> projects, in order to successfully serve their growing readership.

So basically "Tech Operations department".

WMF's spending plan says $12.4M on Technology 2011-2012:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=File:2011-12_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE_.pdf&page=37
BUT, I suspect the majority of that $12.4M will go to Features/General
Engineering, not Tech Operations.

Oh, well, we could always use another data center ;P

--Tobias
Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Stanton Foundation Awards Wikimedia $3.6 Million for Technology Improvements [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Jay Walsh <jwalsh@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> The purpose of the grant is to fund
> major investments in the technology infrastructure that supports Wikipedia
> and its sister projects,

Excellent.

Does this mean we can now finally have categorised watchlists? It's an
idea that people have generally been supportive of when I have
mentioned it on wiki but never gets any actual action. I'd program it
myself if I could. Put simply, imagine you are interested in both
football and politics: you can put articles in your football list or
your politics list and when you want to check your watchlist you can
choose just to check either the football or the politics one or both.

I see people complain that their watchlists are unmanageable every now
and again and this would help.

Bodnotbod

Re: [Wikimedia Announcements] Stanton Foundation Awards Wikimedia $3.6 Million for Technology Improvements [ In reply to ]
Bod Notbod, 06/10/2011 11:45:
> Does this mean we can now finally have categorised watchlists? It's an
> idea that people have generally been supportive of when I have
> mentioned it on wiki but never gets any actual action. I'd program it
> myself if I could. Put simply, imagine you are interested in both
> football and politics: you can put articles in your football list or
> your politics list and when you want to check your watchlist you can
> choose just to check either the football or the politics one or both.
>
> I see people complain that their watchlists are unmanageable every now
> and again and this would help.

I doubt this is the right place or thread to restart a list and
assessment of all feature requests we have.

Nemo