I wonder if we could tweet recent changes... Well, after a short delay.

I think there is probably other obvious but good advice here.

Fred

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:54, Fred Bauder <fredbaud@fairpoint.net> wrote:
> I wonder if we could tweet recent changes... Well, after a short delay.

More useful for smaller wikis. Tweeting new pages or recent changes
for enwiki would probably destroy Twitter very quickly.

When I was more involved with Citizendium, I wrote a script to pipe
new pages into Twitter. It's still running:
http://twitter.com/cz_newdrafts

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
On 18 August 2011 17:39, Tom Morris <tom@tommorris.org> wrote:
> More useful for smaller wikis. Tweeting new pages or recent changes
> for enwiki would probably destroy Twitter very quickly.
>
> When I was more involved with Citizendium, I wrote a script to pipe
> new pages into Twitter. It's still running:
> http://twitter.com/cz_newdrafts

Wikimedia article feeds on twitter:

@en_wikinews
@dewikinews
@wikinews (Chinese)

@el_wikipedia is an article counter
@wikipedia_de is the daily FA
@zhwiki_newpages is all new pages
@ZHWP is some form of selected article feed

Anyone know of other active ones?

The German approach here seems a pretty good one, at least to test the
water - daily featured article, plus possibly other front-page
content. Perhaps a feed of all new (rather than featured-that-day)
"quality" content would be interesting, to give people something they
might not see from the main page? A feed of enwiki's newly graded FA +
GA + FP would be about ten a day, which seems quite a reasonable
figure; I'm not sure what the figures are like for others, though, and
this would be a bit more unpredictable than the daily feeds.

As far as new articles, well. Feeding an unfiltered list would get a
lot of junk (and, perhaps more annoyingly, a lot of quickly dead
links). If we look at *surviving* pages, and assume we somehow would
be able to not send out the ones that are going to get deleted, then
we're looking at an article every forty seconds on enwiki, five
minutes on itwiki, ten minutes on jawiki, twenty minutes on huwiki...

(This might be an interesting tool for trying to stoke interest in
less active projects - feeds slow enough to not be annoying, but
varied enough they might catch people's attention. Hmm. I wonder what
overlap there is between [language groups common on twitter] and
[small WP projects needing users].)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:54, Fred Bauder <fredbaud@fairpoint.net>
> wrote:
>> I wonder if we could tweet recent changes... Well, after a short delay.
>>

> More useful for smaller wikis. Tweeting new pages or recent changes
> for enwiki would probably destroy Twitter very quickly.
>
> When I was more involved with Citizendium, I wrote a script to pipe
> new pages into Twitter. It's still running:
> http://twitter.com/cz_newdrafts
>
> --
> Tom Morris
> <http://tommorris.org/>

What could we put on Twitter that would be interesting and appropriate?
How about new good or featured articles? Requests for deletion?

Fred

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
> On 18 August 2011 17:39, Tom Morris <tom@tommorris.org> wrote:
>> More useful for smaller wikis. Tweeting new pages or recent changes
>> for enwiki would probably destroy Twitter very quickly.
>>
>> When I was more involved with Citizendium, I wrote a script to pipe
>> new pages into Twitter. It's still running:
>> http://twitter.com/cz_newdrafts
>
> Wikimedia article feeds on twitter:
>
> @en_wikinews
> @dewikinews
> @wikinews (Chinese)
>
> @el_wikipedia is an article counter
> @wikipedia_de is the daily FA
> @zhwiki_newpages is all new pages
> @ZHWP is some form of selected article feed
>
> Anyone know of other active ones?
>
> The German approach here seems a pretty good one, at least to test the
> water - daily featured article, plus possibly other front-page
> content. Perhaps a feed of all new (rather than featured-that-day)
> "quality" content would be interesting, to give people something they
> might not see from the main page? A feed of enwiki's newly graded FA +
> GA + FP would be about ten a day, which seems quite a reasonable
> figure; I'm not sure what the figures are like for others, though, and
> this would be a bit more unpredictable than the daily feeds.
>
> As far as new articles, well. Feeding an unfiltered list would get a
> lot of junk (and, perhaps more annoyingly, a lot of quickly dead
> links). If we look at *surviving* pages, and assume we somehow would
> be able to not send out the ones that are going to get deleted, then
> we're looking at an article every forty seconds on enwiki, five
> minutes on itwiki, ten minutes on jawiki, twenty minutes on huwiki...
>
> (This might be an interesting tool for trying to stoke interest in
> less active projects - feeds slow enough to not be annoying, but
> varied enough they might catch people's attention. Hmm. I wonder what
> overlap there is between [language groups common on twitter] and
> [small WP projects needing users].)
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Definitely every new language either in incubator or independent and
maybe regularly until there at at least 10 new articles a day or so.

Fred

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 17:39, Tom Morris <tom@tommorris.org> wrote:
>> More useful for smaller wikis. Tweeting new pages or recent changes
>> for enwiki would probably destroy Twitter very quickly.
>>
>> When I was more involved with Citizendium, I wrote a script to pipe
>> new pages into Twitter. It's still running:
>> http://twitter.com/cz_newdrafts
>
> Wikimedia article feeds on twitter:
>
> @en_wikinews
> @dewikinews
> @wikinews (Chinese)
>
> @el_wikipedia is an article counter
> @wikipedia_de is the daily FA
> @zhwiki_newpages is all new pages
> @ZHWP is some form of selected article feed
>
> Anyone know of other active ones?

It'd be great if you could start a list of these accounts on Meta-Wiki.
"Microblogging accounts" or something.

MZMcBride

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
Of course there's the infamous @wikipedia_mk and @itwikiquote :)

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
@itwikiquote is an experiment by WMI,
it's a bot that writes the Quote of the day via Twitter.
It work fairly well.

Aubrey

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
There is also @el_wikinews bringing all the latest published articles.

I've tried to make @el_wikipedia to also publish the FA of the week (not so
many FAs in el.wikipedia) and 2-3 pieces from "in this day" but I
technically failed. I believe those would be much more interesting instead
of the article counter, so if anyone has a solution on how to do it please
help.

--
Konstantinos Stampoulis
geraki@geraki.gr

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
On 18 August 2011 22:33, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:

>> Anyone know of other active ones?
>
> It'd be great if you could start a list of these accounts on Meta-Wiki.
> "Microblogging accounts" or something.

I actually stole this list from there :-) I'll have a look at tidying
it a bit...

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Twitter

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: Genuine, Generous, and Grateful [ In reply to ]
@itwikiquote is an experiment by WMI,
it's a bot that writes the Quote of the day via Twitter.
It work fairly well.

There are supposedly some more of them but we have some problems with
templates in other languages.
https://twitter.com/#!/WikimediaItalia/wikiquote/members

Nemo