guys. In any case, I beg your forgiveness when I myself ask:

What are the results, and why haven't they been released yet?

Austin

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Latest update from the election officials:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk%3ABoard_elections%2F2011&action=historysubmit&diff=2667116&oldid=2666426
*
*
Tom
*
*

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]

Matanya wrote:
> I'm really sorry no word was said until now, but we have some technical
> problems. We have been working on them for last 24h, and hope they are
> solved. I hope (no guarantees), that results will be out in the next 24h.
> Sorry Matanya 14:14, 16 June 2011 (UTC)

Source: http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=2667116&oldid=2666426

Naturally I assume "technical problems" is a euphemism.

The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
it's been unable to meet the deadline. Pages such as
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en> have simply
seen their verb tense shifted. For something of this importance, the whole
situation is really rather unacceptable.

MZMcBride

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Yes, I find this situation, especially on the part of the election
committee, as something between a sign of disrespect and a sign of
indifference.
I think the thousands of voters and the 19 candidates, who have spent a lot
of time in their pursuing their candidacy, deserve better than this.

Can someone from the election committee give us a better status report?

Harel Cain
Wikimedia Israel / Hebrew Wikipedia

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
2011/6/17 Austin Hair <adhair@gmail.com>:
> It's now the afternoon of the 17th (UTC), and this list—of which I
> have the dubious distinction of being custodian—hasn't seen a single
> thread about the WMF board election results.
>
> I'm honestly not sure if I should be proud of or disappointed with you
> guys.

Proud :)

2011/6/17 MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com>:
> The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
> setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
> it's been unable to meet the deadline.

It may be true, but please calm down. They are volunteers, too.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Update from Mardetanha:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=2669988&oldid=2669838&rcid=2608446

"As far as I can say, we are very hopeful that we can announce the results
within several hours, we are almost done
*Mardetanha*<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Mardetanha>
talk <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Mardetanha> 13:24, 17 June
2011 (UTC)"

Thehelpfulone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Thehelpfulone
Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> 2011/6/17 MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com>:
>> The Election Committee seems to have completely dropped the ball, either in
>> setting an unrealistic deadline and/or in not effectively communicating why
>> it's been unable to meet the deadline.
>
> It may be true, but please calm down. They are volunteers, too.

I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to mailing
lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.

MZMcBride

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Hello Everyone,

As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.

Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.

Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)

That being said, I think you will not have to wait much longer. The election committee is taking the final steps towards publishing the results.

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Board Liaison Election Committee

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On 6/17/2011 9:31 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>
> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>
> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)
>
> That being said, I think you will not have to wait much longer. The election committee is taking the final steps towards publishing the results.
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
> Board Liaison Election Committee

Thank you for this update, we appreciate it. I am disappointed that
these potential problems weren't thought about previously when choosing
to use a third-party. In the future, I think we need to come up with a
list of potential problems to prevent situations like this.

--
Joe Gazz84 - Wikimedia Wikis
Home Wiki: ENWP (Retired)

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Hi!

> I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to mailing
> lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.

I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.

Domas
Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Hi

Just to make sure we don't jump to the wrong conclusion.

This is my fourth Board election. Every time we have relied on Software in the Public Interest (http://www.spi-inc.org/) do be the trusted third party. Every time they have been extremely fast and flexible in their volunteer services towards us. I am extremely grateful for all that they have done.

But when a call for volunteers is made, and their timezones differ from each other, the office (and tech support) and SPI-Inc, that complicates matters when several checks are needed to confirm and verify.

Jan-Bart

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
<janbart@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just to make sure we don't jump to the wrong conclusion.
>
> This is my fourth Board election. Every time we have relied on Software in the Public Interest (http://www.spi-inc.org/) do be the trusted third party. Every time they have been extremely fast and flexible in their volunteer services towards us. I am extremely grateful for all that they have done.
>
> But when a call for volunteers is made, and their timezones differ from each other, the office (and tech support) and SPI-Inc, that complicates matters when several checks are needed to confirm and verify.
>
> Jan-Bart

Perfectly reasonable. Best way to forestall criticism in future
elections is to just be open and communicative -- before the results
are late.

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Fully agreed :)

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
<janbart@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>
> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>
> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)

It shouldn't be thankless, so let me express my sincere appreciation
to Abbas, Jon, Mardetanha, Matanya, and Ryan. I know that it's not
easy, and I know that getting it right is more important than getting
it fast.

I won't speak for anyone else's motivations, but let me be clear that
I was only looking for something, anything, updating us on an overdue
deadline that many of us—the candidates, surely not the least—are
eagerly awaiting.

And yes, it's easy to let personal curiosity get overtaken by a
feeling of righteous indignation, but I have to say that a message
from ElecCom would have been really nice.

Austin

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On 6/17/2011 10:01 AM, Austin Hair wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede
> <janbart@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> As the Board Liaison for the election committee I would like to ask for a little more patience on their behalf.
>>
>> Our chosen election system has several checks and balances and it does not help matters that we are making use of an independent third party and are spread out across several time zones.
>>
>> Thank you Amir, as you stated: they are volunteers too. And I recall it was very hard trying to get people to volunteer for this rather thankless job (please feel free to volunteer for the next elections)
> It shouldn't be thankless, so let me express my sincere appreciation
> to Abbas, Jon, Mardetanha, Matanya, and Ryan. I know that it's not
> easy, and I know that getting it right is more important than getting
> it fast.
>
> I won't speak for anyone else's motivations, but let me be clear that
> I was only looking for something, anything, updating us on an overdue
> deadline that many of us—the candidates, surely not the least—are
> eagerly awaiting.
>
> And yes, it's easy to let personal curiosity get overtaken by a
> feeling of righteous indignation, but I have to say that a message
> from ElecCom would have been really nice.
>
> Austin

I too fully appreciate the committee, I never meant to come across where
I didn't appreciate them. There is absolutely no way that this election
could be done without this committee. This shouldn't be a thankless
committee. I just was not fully aware of the reasons for the late
results, now that I am, it makes it much easier to understand.

--
Joe Gazz84 - Wikimedia Wikis
Home Wiki: ENWP (Retired)

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Domas Mituzas wrote:
>> I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to
>> mailing lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.
>
> I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.

Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have something useful to
say.

MZMcBride

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 4:05 PM, MZMcBride <z@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> Domas Mituzas wrote:
>>> I'm told volunteers are capable of editing wiki pages and posting to
>>> mailing lists. I haven't been able to independently verify this, though.
>>
>> I'm told that some volunteers can be extremely obnoxious too.
>
> Eh, don't be so hard on yourself. Sometimes you have something useful to
> say.

Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from me.

Austin

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
I only want to rephrase what I said back at the beginning of the thread:
it's perfectly understandable if things run late (huh, Wikimania taught me
this first hand). It's just that little one-sentence update on the results
page that was missing and would have spared us this thread.

Now, some more patience - I'll go drink something :)

Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem,

Harel

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Results are out.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en

Theo

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Congrats Ting, Sj and Kat on your re-election.

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On 6/17/2011 7:54 AM, Theo10011 wrote:
> Results are out.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en
Congratulations to Ting, SJ, and Kat, I'm glad that you will be
continuing in your good work! Thanks also to the election committee, and
just to remind them that they are not done - I'm certain people are
interested in seeing the full results matrix as well, so it would be
appreciated if they can release that at some point.

--Michael Snow

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
Congratulations!! and thanks for the fun experience of running for the
board...

One thing the board might want to concern itself with now is how to allow
for more change in the next elections, in other words how to counteract the
built-in advantages of the incumbent(s), which in the board elections is
even bigger than in usual political elections.

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
> Congrats Ting, Sj and Kat on your re-election.
Congrats to all the participants, particularly the three re-elected incumbents:
I think this was the single most predictable single outcome-- we can
poke and prod individual candidates, but collectively, _as a board_ ,
they've never done anything too controversial. The servers keep
running, the lights stay on, and the funding looks great.
Re-electing all incumbents is a credit to the individuals in question
and to the foundation organization as a whole.

Good work everyone! Special thanks to the election committee members
who had so much work to do in this process.

Alec

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Harel Cain <harel.cain@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing the board might want to concern itself with now is how to allow
> for more change in the next elections, in other words how to counteract the
> built-in advantages of the incumbent(s), which in the board elections is
> even bigger than in usual political elections.

I suspect the board will recruit, formally or informally, the top n
runners-up to help provide the usual "new blood"ish infusion that a
normal election result provides. The global community wants to keep
the keys in the current hands, but it did also point out others it
likes, and we should be sure to keep engaging them at the
movement-wide strategy level.

Alec

Re: Election results? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect the board will recruit, formally or informally, the top n
> runners-up to help provide the usual "new blood"ish infusion that a
> normal election result provides.    The global community wants to keep
> the keys in the current hands, but it did also point out others it
> likes, and we should be sure to keep engaging them at the
> movement-wide strategy level.

Most of these people are already involved in the foundation and
meta-level, which is why they ran for the board in the first place.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023