The English Wikipedia has been experiencing painfully slow load times over
the last few days, and lots of error messages when trying to save, to the
point where the site has become difficult to use. There's discussion about
it on the Village Pump, and someone has filed a bug report, but no one has
any idea why it's happening, or whether it's being looked into. I would link
to the discussion, but I can't get the page to open.

Does anyone on the list have information about it?

Sarah
Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
en.wiki just slowed to a crawl and is now errored out. It has been going
from normal to treacle slow all day.

Tom

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
I had problems with load times and time-outs, ever since the email
notification was turned on. I asked the tech team if they were related, they
didn't think so. Maybe, its a co-incidence, but did anyone notice if the
slowness increased when email notifications were turned on?

Theo

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:20, Sarah <slimvirgin@gmail.com> wrote:

> The English Wikipedia has been experiencing painfully slow load times over the last few days, and lots of error messages when trying to save, to the point where the site has become difficult to use. There's discussion about it on the Village Pump, and someone has filed a bug report, but no one has any idea why it's happening, or whether it's being looked into. I would link to the discussion, but I can't get the page to open.
>
> Does anyone on the list have information about it?
>
> Sarah

Discussion is here --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28technical%29#Slow_load_time

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
Not 100% sure of that myself - I've been seeing more and more intermittent
errors for over a week, probably nearly two weeks.

Tom

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:24, Theo10011 <de10011@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had problems with load times and time-outs, ever since the email
> notification was turned on. I asked the tech team if they were related, they
> didn't think so. Maybe, its a co-incidence, but did anyone notice if the
> slowness increased when email notifications were turned on?
>
> Theo

It started for me on May 16. I don't know what date email notification
started. Others at the PUMP began to report problems on the 10th,
though that might have been a separate issue.

It's really getting to the point now where it's hard to do anything.

Sarah

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
Yeh, that was when it was turned on. So maybe :)

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
Could someone from the Foundation or one of the developers say whether this
is being looked into?

Sarah

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 12:28, Thomas Morton

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
The first reported cases where May 9th. Its been intermittent since then.

John

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
I posted this on the English WP on April 11:

http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2011-April/108899.html

The responses I received suggested it might be a problem with my provider. I
spoke with a Comcast tech. She considered the problem and concluded that I
needed to clear my cache & cookies. This I did & it got better - for 1 day.
Since then it has gotten back to being slower than ever.

Marc

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Sarah <slimvirgin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could someone from the Foundation or one of the developers say whether this
> is being looked into?

I've requested an assessment of the current situation and will post
more to this thread when I hear back, unless someone beats me to it.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:59, Erik Moeller <erik@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM, Sarah <slimvirgin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could someone from the Foundation or one of the developers say whether this
>> is being looked into?
>
> I've requested an assessment of the current situation and will post
> more to this thread when I hear back, unless someone beats me to it.
> --
> Erik Möller
> Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Many thanks, Erik.

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
[Also posting to Bugzilla]

According to the ops team, there are a number of separate and
unrelated ops issues that have come up in the last few days:

1) Not all users are experiencing slowness, but a subset of users are.
There's no definite smoking gun, but the most likely cause are ongoing
issues with one of our routers in Tampa. The router will have to be
taken down for maintenance to fix this issue, and order to perform
this maintenance operation with minimal disruption, we need to have
key ops engineers on standby to deal with any issues that may arise.
My understanding is that the best available maintenance window is
Tuesday next week.

2) There was a software deployment on May 18 which caused an
application server overload; it was reverted the same day.

3) The mobile servers are currently intermittently overloaded,
throwing internal server errors, and servers to provide additional
capacity have been racked today.

4) In case you're looking at it, ganglia.wikimedia.org is not
displaying correct server status information (as of yesterday); it's
in the process of being fixed.

We're still in the process of setting up a new primary data center
location in Ashburn, VA, which will give us higher site reliability in
general, and also create the possibility of safe failover in
maintenance or emergency situations.

Re: Very slow load time for the last few days [ In reply to ]
on 5/20/11 5:26 PM, Erik Moeller at erik@wikimedia.org wrote:

> [Also posting to Bugzilla]
>
> According to the ops team, there are a number of separate and
> unrelated ops issues that have come up in the last few days:
>
> 1) Not all users are experiencing slowness, but a subset of users are.
> There's no definite smoking gun, but the most likely cause are ongoing
> issues with one of our routers in Tampa. The router will have to be
> taken down for maintenance to fix this issue, and order to perform
> this maintenance operation with minimal disruption, we need to have
> key ops engineers on standby to deal with any issues that may arise.
> My understanding is that the best available maintenance window is
> Tuesday next week.
>
> 2) There was a software deployment on May 18 which caused an
> application server overload; it was reverted the same day.
>
> 3) The mobile servers are currently intermittently overloaded,
> throwing internal server errors, and servers to provide additional
> capacity have been racked today.
>
> 4) In case you're looking at it, ganglia.wikimedia.org is not
> displaying correct server status information (as of yesterday); it's
> in the process of being fixed.
>
> We're still in the process of setting up a new primary data center
> location in Ashburn, VA, which will give us higher site reliability in
> general, and also create the possibility of safe failover in
> maintenance or emergency situations.

Thank you for this, Erik. Even this computer-challenged person could
understand what you wrote :-).

Be healthy,

Marc Riddell