Mailing List Archive

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?]
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 10:27 PM, Béria Lima <berialima@gmail.com> wrote:

> I preffer wp.org (if is possible) to make internationalization easier. So
> en.wiki would be "en.wp.org", de.wiki "de.wp.org" and etc.

For the record (sorry I'm late btw :P), I had independently contacted the
owners of wp.org shortly before this thread came up, and they basically said
that even though they supported Wikipedia (they had even donated in the
past), the domain has too much potential value (WordPress, the Washington
Post, etc) for them to hand it over.

I also thought about this multi-language facet of Wikimedia, which is
further aggravated by the existence of multiple projects. That is, even
wp.org would have problems too, since we'd then need to get one for
wikinews, commons, etc. The best solution would be IMO getting the domain *
wi.ki*, since this could be adapted either through prefixes (i.e.,
subdomains, such as en.wi.ki) or suffixes (e.g. wi.ki/en) for languages
and/or project codes. In addition to that we could generate links as the
current shorteners do, like wi.ki/x23yz.

Now, the wi.ki domain at first seems to be unused, but
http://whois.nic.kireveals it is registered at least until 9 Jan 2012,
by
domaininfo.com. A search on that page reveals that wi.ki is not available
for registration, but seems to be buyable for 696 €. We could contact them
and ask for a partial donation, but it would work best if the request comes
from the WMF itself. Before figuring it was already registered, I sent an
email to organization that manages the .KI domain. The text of that email
might be useful for this effect: http://pastebin.com/L0v6uz1i

Here's a quote from that message that points out some of the advantages of
having these short urls:
*
*

> *"[Wikipedia] links are often long and hard to read (for instance:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=.ki&oldid=408287624 ), which
> makes them not only inconvenient, but also prone to reproduction errors.
> Since the practice of citation is such a critical component of journalism
> and scientific publication, minimizing this risk would bring very
> significant benefits for scholars, journalists, and even users who want to
> share links in social media.*

So, who supports that we request them a donation of that domain? And is
anyone from the WMF willing to send them the request? (Moka?)

It's fine if the tech team doesn't want to manage the domain; I'm sure
plenty of volunteers could offer to do that. But it we'd be much more likely
to get it in the first place if the request is made officially by the WMF.

So what do you guys think?

Waldir
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
I looked into this once...the domain price was quite steep or I would
have gotten it. However, a donation might be possible.

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire that
domain.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
Although we maybe only doing this for Wikipedia, here's a few
comparisons / ideas

== Projects * domains:

(subdomain)
en.wp.org / Title
de.wt.org / Title (de.wiktionary)
c.wm.org / Title (commons.wikimedia)

(directory)
wp.org / en / Title
wt.org / de / Title (de.wiktionary)
wm.org / c / Title (commons.wikimedia)

== Editions * Project * domains

enwp.org / Title
dewt.org / Title
wikimediacommons.org / Title

== 1 domain ?

(directory)
wi.ki / p / en / Title (Wikipedia EN)
wi.ki / t / de / Title (Wiktionary DE
wi.ki / commons / Title (Wikimedia Commons)

(interwiki root)
wi.ki / w:en:Title
wi.ki / t:de:Title
wi.ki / commons:Title

Personally, I like the 1domain-root and projects-subdomains solution.
Just a few thoughts :)

--
Krinkle
Op 8 mei 2011, om 15:59 heeft Gerard Meijssen het volgende geschreven:

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
Martijn Hoekstra wrote:

> > Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
> > offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?

Gerard Meijssen replied:

> The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire
> that domain.

Why is this an either-or proposition?

Even if the wp.org domain name is worth acquiring (most likely at a
substantial cost, as Waldir Pimenta noted), why does this mean that
the Wikimedia Foundation should decline Thomas Wang's generous
donation of the enwp.org domain name?

—David Levy

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 4:20 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair@gmail.com> wrote:
> Martijn Hoekstra wrote:
>
>> > Back to the issue at hand though: Thomas is (quite generously)
>> > offering the enwp.org domain. Would the foundation like to have it?
>
> Gerard Meijssen replied:
>
>> The wp.org is probably for sale ... It makes more sense to acquire
>> that domain.
>
> Why is this an either-or proposition?
>
> Even if the wp.org domain name is worth acquiring (most likely at a
> substantial cost, as Waldir Pimenta noted), why does this mean that
> the Wikimedia Foundation should decline Thomas Wang's generous
> donation of the enwp.org domain name?
>
> —David Levy

Which already is in fairly widespread use

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]

http://en.ws/ , http://de.ws/, etc would be lovely.

> == 1 domain ?
>
> (directory)
> wi.ki / p / en / Title (Wikipedia EN)
> wi.ki / t / de / Title (Wiktionary DE
> wi.ki / commons / Title (Wikimedia Commons)
>
> (interwiki root)
> wi.ki / w:en:Title
> wi.ki / t:de:Title
> wi.ki / commons:Title
>

> Personally, I like the 1domain-root and projects-subdomains solution.

I prefer that as well.

http://commons.org/ would be nice. have we tried approaching them?

--
John Vandenberg

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://commons.org/ would be nice. have we tried approaching them?
>
> --
> John Vandenberg

Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://commons.org/ would be nice.  have we tried approaching them?
>>
>> --
>> John Vandenberg
>
> Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?

I believe it's Rob Halsell. I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
he says. :-)

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
But we are still going offtopic. I guess we should take the offer for
enwp.org how to go forward is later business right?

Huib

2011/5/9 Casey Brown <lists@caseybrown.org>

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:58 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> http://commons.org/ would be nice. have we tried approaching them?
> >>
> >> --
> >> John Vandenberg
> >
> > Who, exactly, is in charge of domain registration at the WMF?
> >

> I believe it's Rob Halsell. I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
> him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
> he says. :-)
>
> --
> Casey Brown
> Cbrown1023

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak@gmail.com> wrote:

> But we are still going offtopic. I guess we should take the offer for
> enwp.org how to go forward is later business right?

Yes, we should. It's useful and already fairly widely used.

-Katie

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/9 Casey Brown <lists@caseybrown.org>:
>> I believe it's Rob Halsell.  I forwarded Thomas's original e-mail to
>> him yesterday to see if he could do anything to help; we'll see what
>> he says. :-)
>
> But we are still going offtopic. I guess we should take the offer for
> enwp.org how to go forward is later business right?

Yes, by "Thomas's original e-mail" I was referring to enwp.org.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
Just create your own tld ;)

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
Actually, what we should be doing is asking Afilias for one of the reserved
1-letter domains: w.org. Twitter has t.co, so why not?

Ryan Kaldari

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
+1

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Ryan Kaldari <rkaldari@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Actually, what we should be doing is asking Afilias for one of the reserved
> 1-letter domains: w.org. Twitter has t.co, so why not?
>
> Ryan Kaldari
>
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Platonides <Platonides@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just create your own tld ;)

Brian Mingus
Graduate student
Computational Cognitive Neuroscience Lab
University of Colorado at Boulder
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On 09/05/11 23:57, Platonides wrote:
> Just create your own tld ;)

Sadly, .wp wouldn't pass the new gTLD process: new gTLDs must have at
least three characters.

-- Neil

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]

http://en.wp.wmf

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Brian J Mingus <brian.mingus@colorado.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Neil Harris <neil@tonal.clara.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > On 09/05/11 23:57, Platonides wrote:
> > > Just create your own tld ;)
> > >
> > Sadly, .wp wouldn't pass the new gTLD process: new gTLDs must have at
> > least three characters.
> >
> > -- Neil
> >
> > How about:
>
> http://en.wp.wmf

Would many people recognize or remember "wmf"? I suspect that, in terms of
brand recognition, "Wikipedia" > "Wikimedia" > "Wikimedia Foundation" >
"WMF".

Kirill
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On 10/05/11 00:46, Kirill Lokshin wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Brian J Mingus<brian.mingus@colorado.edu>wrote:
>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Neil Harris<neil@tonal.clara.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Sadly, .wp wouldn't pass the new gTLD process: new gTLDs must have at
>>> least three characters.
>>>
>>> -- Neil
>>>
>>> How about:
>> http://en.wp.wmf
>
> Would many people recognize or remember "wmf"? I suspect that, in terms of
> brand recognition, "Wikipedia"> "Wikimedia"> "Wikimedia Foundation">
> "WMF".
>
> Kirill

en.wiki or en.wikipedia would do just fine

-- Neil

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Neil Harris <neil@tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:

> On 10/05/11 00:46, Kirill Lokshin wrote:
> > On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Brian J Mingus<brian.mingus@colorado.edu
> >wrote:

> >> http://en.wp.wmf
> >
> > Would many people recognize or remember "wmf"? I suspect that, in terms
> of
> > brand recognition, "Wikipedia"> "Wikimedia"> "Wikimedia Foundation">
> > "WMF".
> >
> > Kirill
>
> en.wiki or en.wikipedia would do just fine
>
> -- Neil

Getting a .wiki TLD for our projects would be nice indeed.

Kirill
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Kirill Lokshin <kirill.lokshin@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Neil Harris <neil@tonal.clara.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> On 10/05/11 00:46, Kirill Lokshin wrote:

>> > Would many people recognize or remember "wmf"? I suspect that, in terms
>> of
>> > brand recognition, "Wikipedia"> "Wikimedia"> "Wikimedia Foundation">
>> > "WMF".
>> >
>> > Kirill
>>
>> en.wiki or en.wikipedia would do just fine
>>
>> -- Neil
>

> Getting a .wiki TLD for our projects would be nice indeed.
>
> Kirill

Although, on the other hand, would this leave us too open to imitators,
given that "wiki" is not a trademark? Consider the scenario of a group
like, say, 4chan registering eng.wiki and filling it with assorted shock
content; enough people might mistakenly visit the fake site to generate
considerable bad publicity for us.

Kirill
Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
wi.ki, on the other hand, would be safe in this regard :)

By the way, since no one at WMF offered to send the email requesting a
donation/price reduction of the wi.ki domain, I'll do it as the president of
Wikimedia Portugal, with my @wikimedia.pt email. Hopefully that'll give me
some leverage -- only a fraction of what an email coming from an @
wikimedia.org would, but hey, it's better than nothing.

Waldir

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:54 AM, Kirill Lokshin

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
A while back, I think the WMF got offered the enwp.org domain for
free, which is a fairly oft used shortener. Does anyone remember what
ever happened to that offer?

Re: [Fwd: Re: Do WMF want enwp.org?] [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Martijn Hoekstra
<martijnhoekstra@gmail.com> wrote:
> A while back, I think the WMF got offered the enwp.org domain for
> free, which is a fairly oft used shortener. Does anyone remember what
> ever happened to that offer?

Casey has referred that to Rob Halsell.

--
John Vandenberg