Mailing List Archive

happy birthday, Wikipedias
Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.
Originally with spelled-out names rather than language codes, these
sites were:

catalan.wikipedia.com
chinese.wikipedia.com
esperanto.wikipedia.com
french.wikipedia.com
deutsche.wikipedia.com
hebrew.wikipedia.com
italian.wikipedia.com
japanese.wikipedia.com
portuguese.wikipedia.com
spanish.wikipedia.com
russian.wikipedia.com

(from http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2001-May/000116.html)

The idea of having Wikipedias in multiple languages came from Jimbo in
March 2001 (http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2001-March/000048.html);
note that the original German Wikipedia was actually set up at that
time, making it the second-oldest Wikipedia. Though the idea of using
two-letter domain codes was first raised then, after the above sites
were brought online in May there was further discussion, and the sites
were switched to two-letter codes a few days later:
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2001-May/000132.html.

Happy tenth birthday, Wikipedias! (and many more!) May all of our
language editions flourish.

-- phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

Re: happy birthday, Wikipedias [ In reply to ]
2011/5/10 phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com>:
> Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
> since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.
> Originally with spelled-out names rather than language codes, these
> sites were:
[...]
> Happy tenth birthday, Wikipedias! (and many more!)  May all of our
> language editions flourish.

Thanks, Phoebe! In fact, in Argentina we are celebrating Wikipedia10
next May 21, wich is one of the probably dates of the first edit in
the Spanish Wikipedia: http://www.wikimedia.org.ar/node/28

Patricio

--
Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar

Re: happy birthday, Wikipedias [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:13 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
> since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.
> Originally with spelled-out names rather than language codes, these
> sites were:
>
> catalan.wikipedia.com
> chinese.wikipedia.com
> esperanto.wikipedia.com
> french.wikipedia.com
> deutsche.wikipedia.com
> hebrew.wikipedia.com
> italian.wikipedia.com
> japanese.wikipedia.com
> portuguese.wikipedia.com
> spanish.wikipedia.com
> russian.wikipedia.com

In the Italian Wikipedia we are celebrating the birthday with the
milestone of 800,000 articles!
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bar/Discussioni/800.000_voci

Cruccone

Re: happy birthday, Wikipedias [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:13 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
>> since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.
>> Originally with spelled-out names rather than language codes, these
>> sites were:
>>
>> catalan.wikipedia.com
>> chinese.wikipedia.com
>> esperanto.wikipedia.com
>> french.wikipedia.com
>> deutsche.wikipedia.com
>> hebrew.wikipedia.com
>> italian.wikipedia.com
>> japanese.wikipedia.com
>> portuguese.wikipedia.com
>> spanish.wikipedia.com
>> russian.wikipedia.com
>>

> In the Italian Wikipedia we are celebrating the birthday with the
> milestone of 800,000 articles!
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bar/Discussioni/800.000_voci
>
> Cruccone

That's wonderful! bravo!

-- phoebe

Re: happy birthday, Wikipedias [ In reply to ]
On 5/10/2011 4:13 PM, ext phoebe ayers wrote:
> Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
> since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.

Joan and Анатолій have mentioned this already but here goes a bit more
detail:

The first non-English Wikipedia created was the German on March 16, 2001

The first edit on a non-English Wikipedia was at 21:07 UTC, March 16,
2001, made to the Catalan Main Page. The first contribution in a
non-English article dates from March 17 at 01:41 UTC in the article
http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80bac

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wikipedia#History
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Wikipedia#Creation

fwiw I learned all this back in March when the Catalan Wikipedia was
celebrating the 10th anniversary with a big banner in all
ca.wikipedia.org pages.

--
Quim (son of German mother and Catalan father, based in USA) ;)

Re: happy birthday, Wikipedias [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Quim Gil <quim.gil@nokia.com> wrote:
> On 5/10/2011 4:13 PM, ext phoebe ayers wrote:
>> Tomorrow (May 11) is another anniversary date: it's been 10 years
>> since the first group of non-English Wikipedias came online.
>
> Joan and áÎÁÔÏÌ¦Ê have mentioned this already but here goes a bit more
> detail:
>
> The first non-English Wikipedia created was the German on March 16, 2001
>
> The first edit on a non-English Wikipedia was at 21:07 UTC, March 16,
> 2001, made to the Catalan Main Page. The first contribution in a
> non-English article dates from March 17 at 01:41 UTC in the article
> http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%80bac
>
> Sources:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Wikipedia#History
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_Wikipedia#Creation
>
> fwiw I learned all this back in March when the Catalan Wikipedia was
> celebrating the 10th anniversary with a big banner in all
> ca.wikipedia.org pages.
>
> --
> Quim (son of German mother and Catalan father, based in USA) š;)
>

> On 5/11/2011 4:34 AM, ext áÎÁÔÏÌ¦Ê çÏÎÞÁÒÏ× wrote:
> š> German and Catalan wikis was created on March 2001
> š>
> š> 2011/5/11<foundation-l-request@lists.wikimedia.org>
> š>
> š>> Happy birthday.
> š>>
> š>> š If you read carefully the mail you are pointing to there it says:
> š>>
> š>> "Toan and I added 9 new other-language wikis to the mix."
> š>>
> š>> But in the list there are 11 languages.
> š>>
> š>> The difference is because it was not the first group of non-English
> š>> Wikipedias coming online.

Thanks Quim & áÎÁÔÏ̦Ê, of course it was the *second* big group of
languages (I knew Catalan was early, but wasn't sure if it was created
before the rest -- it's not well documented). Thanks for the note
about the first edit to Catalan! At any rate, I am sorry to miss
marking March 16 as an anniversary as well -- though perhaps the
lesson is we should just celebrate all spring (and beyond).

-- phoebe

p.s. "The Wikipedia Revolution" does treat this topic briefly; though
I have to say, I am looking forward to the day a historian sits down
and produces a dry and scholarly multi-volume history of Wikipedia,
with appropriate exigesis & footnotes. It's a lovely subject, with
just enough of the records missing to be mysterious.