http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
 I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
On 02/07/2011 10:21 AM, Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> User:HalanTul from the Sakha Wikipedia asked me to ask about this here.
>
> The writers of the Sakha Wikipedia want to add icons to "share in
> Facebook/Twitter/etc" to some articles to promote the project, but
> they are concerned about the legal and ideological implications of
> such a move: Doesn't putting the logo of a commercial company right in
> the article violate the no-advertising principle?

It does (imho). We don't want to support non-free projects like
Facebook/Twitter. (An identi.ca link would be much better :))

You could write a piece of Javascript that displays those icons and add
it as a Gadget. Only useful to logged-in users, though.

-- Tobias
Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
On 07/02/2011, at 20:21, "Amir E. Aharoni" <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:

> User:HalanTul from the Sakha Wikipedia asked me to ask about this here.
>
> The writers of the Sakha Wikipedia want to add icons to "share in
> Facebook/Twitter/etc" to some articles to promote the project, but
> they are concerned about the legal and ideological implications of
> such a move: Doesn't putting the logo of a commercial company right in
> the article violate the no-advertising principle?

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> "We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Wikinews has used these kinds of buttons for quite a while. They are placed in a "share this" box at the bottom of every article. See, for example, http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Egyptian_president_will_not_seek_re-election_in_September_after_protests

For a while equivalent buttons were also active on Commons but they were turned off as it was unclear they had community support. I'm not aware of any Wikipedia edition that has used them though.

-Liam

Sent from my phone.
Wittylama.com/blog
Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
> Wikinews has used these kinds of buttons for quite a while. They are placed in a "share this" box at the bottom of every article. See, for example, http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Egyptian_president_will_not_seek_re-election_in_September_after_protests
>
> For a while equivalent buttons were also active on Commons but they were turned off as it was unclear they had community support. I'm not aware of any Wikipedia edition that has used them though.
>
> -Liam

But not every lang versions of Wikinews

I think, like church of emacs, that identi.ca will be better + other cc-by (not nc not nd) media.

przykuta

Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
2011/2/7 Przykuta <przykuta@o2.pl>

> > Wikinews has used these kinds of buttons for quite a while. They are
> placed in a "share this" box at the bottom of every article. See, for
> example,
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Egyptian_president_will_not_seek_re-election_in_September_after_protests
> >
> > For a while equivalent buttons were also active on Commons but they were
> turned off as it was unclear they had community support. I'm not aware of
> any Wikipedia edition that has used them though.
> >
> > -Liam
>
> But not every lang versions of Wikinews
>
> I think, like church of emacs, that identi.ca will be better + other cc-by
> (not nc not nd) media.
>
> przykuta

It will be better ideologically, and it will also be pointless, as no-one
outside the geek squad (that's us & co) know what it is or use it. The goal
of Twitter & Facebook sharing would be to advertise the content to the
public, and the effect would be extremely limited if we would only allow
identi.ca sharing. Like it or not, if we want to "advertise" the projects in
such a way, allowing Facebook and Twitter (as well as identi.ca of course)
is really the only sensible thing to do.

--
Jon Harald Søby
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by
Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
2011/2/7 Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby@gmail.com>:

> It will be better ideologically, and it will also be pointless, as no-one
> outside the geek squad (that's us & co) know what it is or use it. The goal
> of Twitter & Facebook sharing would be to advertise the content to the
> public, and the effect would be extremely limited if we would only allow
> identi.ca sharing. Like it or not, if we want to "advertise" the projects in
> such a way, allowing Facebook and Twitter (as well as identi.ca of course)
> is really the only sensible thing to do.

I can just see every single networking service on Earth being listed,
for neutrality ... a bit like the Special:BookSources page that comes
up when you click on an ISBN.

This sort of thing would best be implemented as a gadget, which users
can then choose to switch on with their chosen selection of places to
post to.

We would need to make sure there were no privacy issues. Users can of
course choose to reveal anything they like to Facebook - but is there
anything we would need to take care not to reveal inadvertently? Is
there a way not to accidentally link their WP username to their
Facebook real name, for instance?

- d.

Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
On 7 February 2011 12:13, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> This sort of thing would best be implemented as a gadget, which users
> can then choose to switch on with their chosen selection of places to
> post to.

This is the best approach, I think. Or, once out of testing, turn it
on by default with *no* services populated and have a little link to
turn it off / add services as people see fit.

> We would need to make sure there were no privacy issues. Users can of
> course choose to reveal anything they like to Facebook - but is there
> anything we would need to take care not to reveal inadvertently? Is
> there a way not to accidentally link their WP username to their
> Facebook real name, for instance?

Unless we take an active step to send out user details, or make it
possible to share diffs (which seems unlikely), the only practical way
to make such a link would be by sharing a "user-specific" page, like
your own talkpage. This seems quite an unlikely thing for someone to
want to do, but a plausible accident - so it would seem reasonable to
code the sharing function to only share things in the main & image
namespaces (and perhaps portals?) - traditional user-facing content.

(An elegant trick would be to have the "share" function for images
resolve to the Commons page rather than the local one, where
appropriate.)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
If you're interested in borrowing the Wikinews "share" links, the template
in question is:

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Template:Social_bookmarks

-Jon

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 02:31, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/02/2011, at 20:21, "Amir E. Aharoni" <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il>
> wrote:
>
> > User:HalanTul from the Sakha Wikipedia asked me to ask about this here.
> >
> > The writers of the Sakha Wikipedia want to add icons to "share in
> > Facebook/Twitter/etc" to some articles to promote the project, but
> > they are concerned about the legal and ideological implications of
> > such a move: Doesn't putting the logo of a commercial company right in
> > the article violate the no-advertising principle?
> >
> > --
> > Amir Elisha Aharoni · אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
> > http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> > "We're living in pieces,
> > I want to live in peace." - T. Moore
> >
> Wikinews has used these kinds of buttons for quite a while. They are placed
> in a "share this" box at the bottom of every article. See, for example,
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Egyptian_president_will_not_seek_re-election_in_September_after_protests
>
> For a while equivalent buttons were also active on Commons but they were
> turned off as it was unclear they had community support. I'm not aware of
> any Wikipedia edition that has used them though.
>
> -Liam
>
> Sent from my phone.
> Wittylama.com/blog

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ
http://snowulf.com/
http://ipv6wiki.net/
Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Jon Davis <wiki@konsoletek.com> wrote:

If you're interested in borrowing the Wikinews "share" links, the template
> in question is:
>
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Template:Social_bookmarks

strategy.wikimedia.org did basically the same thing on proposals as well.
Re: "share in Facebook/Twitter/etc" icon [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Steven Walling <steven.walling@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Jon Davis <wiki@konsoletek.com> wrote:
>
> If you're interested in borrowing the Wikinews "share" links, the template
> > in question is:
> >
> > http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Template:Social_bookmarks
> >

> strategy.wikimedia.org did basically the same thing on proposals as well.

As did the Fundraiser Thank you page. Albeit with a more limited set of
options than others, but it worked great.

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Thank_You/en

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Template:Share_this

Theo