Mailing List Archive

IRC general meetings
Hi all,

Back in September we had an open community IRC meeting, where we
introduced the new Trustees and talked about various issues. It was
pretty successful and we discussed afterwards making such "community
meetings" a regular event.

I'd like to revive this idea :) I've made a proposal for having
community meetings on the first Saturday of the month:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings

Which would make the first upcoming meeting on February 5.

I proposed 17:00UTC as a time, but please discuss good days/times on
the talk page if you are interested in attending; we'll need to rotate
times.

I envision this as not really a Q&A session like the staff office
hours, but rather as a chance for community members to get together
and talk about important issues in a structured way. To that end,
please add your proposed agenda items to the wiki. It would also be
great to have some volunteers to take notes/moderate.

Of course this is just an experiment -- but there seemed to be a lot
of interest in having such meetings, so I'd like to try it out. Let me
know what you think and if you'd be interested.

best,
Phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
sounds like a great idea, allowing people to be involved in discussions when
they dont want to read this mailing list all the time. I also hope that this
will be an opportunity for board members and staff members to be involved in
discussion with the community, and test the water for some ideas (and vv).

Moderation would be very helpful, especially when the idea becomes a
success. I believe Cary and Casey might have nice lists of volunteers who
would be willing and able to pick that up.

Best,

Lodewijk

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
We should definitely do this more often. Once a month sounds like a
good start.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk@effeietsanders.org> wrote:

> Moderation would be very helpful, especially when the idea becomes a
> success.

+1 This was helpful in the past.

SJ

--
Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
Reminder that an open community meeting is proposed for this Saturday,
Feb. 5. on IRC: freednode#wikimedia

Please add your agenda items!
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings

based on feedback I'd like to move the time down to 1800-1900 UTC
(that's 10 am PST).

Let me know if you can help moderate.
Looking forward to it,
Phoebe

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:21 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reminder that an open community meeting is proposed for this Saturday,
> Feb. 5. on IRC: freednode#wikimedia
>
> Please add your agenda items!
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings
>
> based on feedback I'd like to move the time down to 1800-1900 UTC
> (that's 10 am PST).

And it's 3am JST ... the open community is intended to or doesn't mind
kicking out Asia and Oceania?
I'm really worried to the increase of meetings in these hours and on
contrary to abolishment of time rotated series of meetings.

> Let me know if you can help moderate.
> Looking forward to it,
> Phoebe
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Back in September we had an open community IRC meeting, where we
>> introduced the new Trustees and talked about various issues. It was
>> pretty successful and we discussed afterwards making such "community
>> meetings" a regular event.
>>
>> I'd like to revive this idea :) I've made a proposal for having
>> community meetings on the first Saturday of the month:
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings
>>
>> Which would make the first upcoming meeting on February 5.
>>
>> I proposed 17:00UTC as a time, but please discuss good days/times on
>> the talk page if you are interested in attending; we'll need to rotate
>> times.
>>
>> I envision this as not really a Q&A session like the staff office
>> hours, but rather as a chance for community members to get together
>> and talk about important issues in a structured way. To that end,
>> please add your proposed agenda items to the wiki. It would also be
>> great to have some volunteers to take notes/moderate.
>>
>> Of course this is just an experiment -- but there seemed to be a lot
>> of interest in having such meetings, so I'd like to try it out. Let me
>> know what you think and if you'd be interested.
>>
>> best,
>> Phoebe
>>
>> --
>> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
>> <at> gmail.com *

KIZU Naoko / $BLZDE>0;R(B
member of Wikimedians in Kansai / $B4X@>%&%#%-%a%G%#%"%f!<%62q(B http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
No matter what time you're dealing with you're going to have bad timing somewhere. Move it forward a few hours, and you lose Europe. Move it backwards and you lose the WMF and west coast US (and not likely to get much east coast involvement that early).

-Dan

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
2011/2/6 KIZU Naoko <aphaia@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:21 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Reminder that an open community meeting is proposed for this Saturday,
>> Feb. 5. on IRC: freednode#wikimedia
>>
>> Please add your agenda items!
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings
>>
>> based on feedback I'd like to move the time down to 1800-1900 UTC
>> (that's 10 am PST).
>
> And it's 3am JST ... the open community is intended to or doesn't mind
> kicking out Asia and Oceania?
> I'm really worried to the increase of meetings in these hours and on
> contrary to abolishment of  time rotated series of meetings.

Hey Naoko! We will absolutely rotate to a good Asia time -- please
propose a good possibility on the talk pages. I have no intention
whatsoever to kick out oceania and asia. I must admit to a little bit
of selfishness this week -- since I called this meeting and led it, I
wanted a time that worked well for California :) but that will not
always be the case. (I suspect the inconvenience of staff office hours
is similarly due to wanting them to be during working times for here).

-- phoebe

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 10:02 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/6 KIZU Naoko <aphaia@gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:21 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Reminder that an open community meeting is proposed for this Saturday,
>>> Feb. 5. on IRC: freednode#wikimedia
>>>
>>> Please add your agenda items!
>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings
>>>
>>> based on feedback I'd like to move the time down to 1800-1900 UTC
>>> (that's 10 am PST).
>>
>> And it's 3am JST ... the open community is intended to or doesn't mind
>> kicking out Asia and Oceania?
>> I'm really worried to the increase of meetings in these hours and on
>> contrary to abolishment of  time rotated series of meetings.
>
> Hey Naoko! We will absolutely rotate to a good Asia time -- please
> propose a good possibility on the talk pages. I have no intention
> whatsoever to kick out oceania and asia. I must admit to a little bit
> of selfishness this week -- since I called this meeting and led it, I
> wanted a time that worked well for California :) but that will not
> always be the case. (I suspect the inconvenience of staff office hours
> is similarly due to wanting them to be during working times for here).
>
> -- phoebe

BTW I made a rotation proposal on the talk page... see what you think.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_meetings#Rotation

phoebe

Re: IRC general meetings [ In reply to ]
Hi all! We have not had an open IRC meeting in a while... but next
Saturday, June 4 is the first Saturday in June, and it would be good
to have a revival! I've suggested meeting at 18:00 UTC.

Sign up, discuss topics and meeting times on Meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_meetings#June_4.2C_2011