Mailing List Archive

Community Associates
Who are they and what do they do?

Yours sincerely,

Anirudh Bhati

00 91 9328712208
Skype: anirudhsbh

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
On Oct 20, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Anirudh Bhati wrote:

> Who are they and what do they do?
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Anirudh Bhati

Community Associate is a title that we've introduced primarily (though
not exclusively) for the fundraiser this year. They are temporary
employees, generally engaged in making sure that people know about the
fundraiser, trying to convince various language wikis to participate
in the creation of new banners, working on our social media plan, and
a few other things. They also help around the office with posting of
contributions to our various systems and general office-related help.

Best,
Philippe
____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe@wikimedia.org

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Anirudh Bhati wrote:
>
>> Who are they and what do they do?
>>
>> Yours sincerely,
>>
>> Anirudh Bhati
>>

> Community Associate is a title that we've introduced primarily (though
> not exclusively) for the fundraiser this year.  They are temporary
> employees, generally engaged in making sure that people know about the
> fundraiser, trying to convince various language wikis to participate
> in the creation of new banners, working on our social media plan, and
> a few other things.  They also help around the office with posting of
> contributions to our various systems and general office-related help.

Thanks for the response, Philippe.

(1) Can you please introduce them to the list?
(2) Can you please link me to the formal call for applications?

Best,
Anirudh

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
Hi Anirudh,

Some of them are already on the foundation-| mailing list, like Deniz Gültekin and James Alexander -- both of whom have recently announced IRC Office Hours sometimes back. Other Community associates include Keegan Peterzell, Kelly Lyman & Salmaan Haroon. I think you can get the full list of community associates on the Fundraiser 2010 staff page on Wikimedia Meta.

~Abbas.

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
On Oct 20, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Anirudh Bhati wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Philippe Beaudette
> <pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 20, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Anirudh Bhati wrote:
>>
>>> Who are they and what do they do?
>>>
>>> Yours sincerely,
>>>
>>> Anirudh Bhati
>>>

>> Community Associate is a title that we've introduced primarily
>> (though
>> not exclusively) for the fundraiser this year. They are temporary
>> employees, generally engaged in making sure that people know about
>> the
>> fundraiser, trying to convince various language wikis to participate
>> in the creation of new banners, working on our social media plan, and
>> a few other things. They also help around the office with posting of
>> contributions to our various systems and general office-related help.
>
> Thanks for the response, Philippe.
>
> (1) Can you please introduce them to the list?
> (2) Can you please link me to the formal call for applications?
>
> Best,
> Anirudh

The announcement process is not mine to own... that's done by HR.
It's been our process lately to announce them on the Twitter feed but
not on the list.

These people all came in as a result of the community call for
applications which ran a couple months ago.

Philippe

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
Hi Anirudh,

I'll go ahead and introduce myself - my name is Deniz and I'm working on
outreach, communications and social media for this year's fundraiser.
I've been an in-office San Francisco-based volunteer for almost two
years before joining the Community Department Fundraising team as a
Community Associate in August. There is contact information for each of
the Community Associates on the Fundraiser 2010 staff Meta page, and
we're all typically hanging out in the #wikimedia-fundraising IRC
channel. Feel free to contact any of us with questions, introduction
requests or just to say hi :)

Cheers,

Deniz

--
Deniz Gültekin
Community Associate

Support Free Knowledge
http://donate.wikimedia.org/

On 10/20/10 12:02 PM, Abbas Mahmoud wrote:
> Hi Anirudh,
>
> Some of them are already on the foundation-| mailing list, like Deniz Gültekin and James Alexander -- both of whom have recently announced IRC Office Hours sometimes back. Other Community associates include Keegan Peterzell, Kelly Lyman& Salmaan Haroon. I think you can get the full list of community associates on the Fundraiser 2010 staff page on Wikimedia Meta.
>
> ~Abbas.
>

>> From: anirudhsbh@gmail.com
>> Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:54:17 +0530
>> To: foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
>> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Community Associates
>>
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Philippe Beaudette
>> <pbeaudette@wikimedia.org> wrote:

>>> Community Associate is a title that we've introduced primarily (though
>>> not exclusively) for the fundraiser this year. They are temporary
>>> employees, generally engaged in making sure that people know about the
>>> fundraiser, trying to convince various language wikis to participate
>>> in the creation of new banners, working on our social media plan, and
>>> a few other things. They also help around the office with posting of
>>> contributions to our various systems and general office-related help.
>>>
>> Thanks for the response, Philippe.
>>
>> (1) Can you please introduce them to the list?
>> (2) Can you please link me to the formal call for applications?
>>
>> Best,
>> Anirudh
>>

>>> Best,
>>> Philippe

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
Hi there!

I've been subscribed to this list for a long time on my volunteer
account, only posting once every blue moon.

I'm Keegan, and my username is Keegan. I've been registered on the
English Wikipedia for five years come next week. I've been an
administrator on the project for four years. I'm a community elected
Oversighter on the English Wikipedia and I wrote the manual for it with
the help of others (currently I am not flagged as an oversighter while
I'm working for the Foundation), and I am an OTRS administrator as well
as a channel contact for #wikipedia-en-help.

I'm working on outreach for the fundraiser part-time. Part of the
community department's plan is to pull in volunteer community members
and give the opportunity to work if the need matches the
application[1]. My job entails keeping in contact and following
interests of the communities and projects through this testing and
during the Fundraiser. We are making absolutely sure that we, the
Wikimedia community, can participate in this year's, and future years',
drives. You can find me on IRC almost always in the North American
evenings or by email at any time with comments, questions, concerns, or
anything that comes to mind.

1. http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Special:CommunityHiring

--
Keegan Peterzell
Associate Community Officer, Fundraising 2010

Re: Community Associates [ In reply to ]
Thanks Deniz and Keegan for your response. :)

Yours sincerely,

Anirudh Bhati

00 91 9328712208
Skype: anirudhsbh