Mailing List Archive

Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation
It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of
the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.

I'm leaving the staff, but I will continue to be involved with the
Wikimedia movement as a volunteer, both as a contributor and in the
organization of the annual Wikimania conference. Much of my work with
Wikimedia will continue, except now I will be doing it as a volunteer
rather than as a paid staff person.

The Wikimedia Foundation is not planning to hire another volunteer
coordinator to look after the specific range of work I've been doing, so
if you are unsure about who will handle things I have been responsible
for, please feel free to ask me, and we'll work it out over the next
several months.

I have decided to continue my education and have begun the process of
enrolling in post-graduate studies to pursue a theological path that
I've been considering for many years.

I have very much enjoyed my time with the Wikimedia Foundation, and I
look forward to continuing to work alongside you all, as a Wikimedia
volunteer. I enjoy working with each and every one of you.

Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator
Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Hi Cary,

Thank you for everything you've done for the Foundation, the projects, but
also the chapters. I will definitely miss you. Best wishes for your new
degree.

Sebastian

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 2 August 2010 23:01, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of
> the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.

I'm very sorry to hear this! I'm not sure how the Foundation is going
to survive without you... thank you enormously for everything you have
done over the years for the Wikimedia movement and for me personally.
The best of luck for the future!

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
It won't. We're doomed. Cary was the glue that held everything together!

/me sobs

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 15:05, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2 August 2010 23:01, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of
> > the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.
>
> I'm very sorry to hear this! I'm not sure how the Foundation is going
> to survive without you... thank you enormously for everything you have
> done over the years for the Wikimedia movement and for me personally.
> The best of luck for the future!

Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ
http://snowulf.com/
http://ipv6wiki.net/
Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of
> the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.
>
> I'm leaving the staff, but I will continue to be involved with the
> Wikimedia movement as a volunteer, both as a contributor and in the
> organization of the annual Wikimania conference.  Much of my work with
> Wikimedia will continue, except now I will be doing it as a volunteer
> rather than as a paid staff person.
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation is not planning to hire another volunteer
> coordinator to look after the specific range of work I've been doing, so
> if you are unsure about who will handle things I have been responsible
> for, please feel free to ask me, and we'll work it out over the next
> several months.
>
> I have decided to continue my education and have begun the process of
> enrolling in post-graduate studies to pursue a theological path that
> I've been considering for many years.
>
> I have very much enjoyed my time with the Wikimedia Foundation, and I
> look forward to continuing to work alongside you all, as a Wikimedia
> volunteer.  I enjoy working with each and every one of you.
>
> Cary Bass
> Volunteer Coordinator
> Wikimedia Foundation

Ack!

But, congratulations, and best wishes on your future education and path.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
I've enjoyed working with you on a few projects and learning about the
Foundation from you, and the couple chances I've had to see you in person
have always been fun.

Thanks, Cary.
--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 08/03/2010 02:01 AM, Cary Bass wrote:
> It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of
> the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.

Cary,

You just managed to write the first mailing list post that ever managed
to shock me deeply. I do not think I'm able to express my appreciation
for your work; you are invaluable.

Good luck with theology.

Victor Vasiliev
Grateful Volunteer
Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Thank you for all you have done, and the very best of wish for all your
future endeavours.

KTC

- Heinrich Heine

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Cary,

Hopefully, your successor will be even a fraction of you, in every way.

Dan Rosenthal

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Cary, you'll be missed. The WMF absolutely should try to replace you,
although I doubt they'll find someone who can do the job as well as
you have done. Good luck going back to school, and maybe you can get
into editing some of the articles about Levant religions on the
English Wikipedia... I hear its a gentle, welcoming environment!

Nathan

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Cary, it is very nice to read you are returning to your studies, but
we will miss you. Really. Good luck and hope to see you soon.

Un abrazo!

Patricio

--
Patricio Lorente
Mensajería Instantánea: patricio_lorente@jabber.org

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 2 August 2010 23:51, Nathan <nawrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cary, you'll be missed. The WMF absolutely should try to replace you,
> although I doubt they'll find someone who can do the job as well as
> you have done.

Just to clarify, my understanding is that the plan is to replace Cary
with multiple people, which has to be the only possible way forward!

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
This shocked me :/

Will you be in the office the week of Aug 30th when I visit?

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Cary Bass wrote:
> I'm leaving the staff, but I will continue to be involved with the
> Wikimedia movement as a volunteer, both as a contributor and in the
> organization of the annual Wikimania conference. Much of my work with
> Wikimedia will continue, except now I will be doing it as a volunteer
> rather than as a paid staff person.

Then we can expect to meet again in Haifa!
> I have decided to continue my education and have begun the process of
> enrolling in post-graduate studies to pursue a theological path that
> I've been considering for many years.

Becoming a Holy Bass could leave you vulnerable to trolling on Fish
Wrangler.

Good luck.

Ray

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
I am very shocked. :(
I'll definitely miss you my friend.

Belayet [[User:Bellayet]]
--
Belayet Hossain
http://www.facebook.com/bellayet

Hillel____
If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?
Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Cary,

I don't know what to say, I will miss you :(
--
Huib "Abigor" Laurens

Tech team

www.wikiweet.nl - www.llamadawiki.nl - www.forgotten-beauty.com -
www.wickedway.nl - www.huiblaurens.nl - www.wikiweet.org
Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
Cary, I will miss you. It is/was/will be a pleasure to work with you.

I wish you all the best for your next phase of life. Hope to see you in
Haifa :)

Raymond.

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 08/03/2010 12:01 AM, Cary Bass wrote:
> It is with deep regret that I tell you I will be leaving the staff of
> the Wikimedia Foundation at the end of December.

Hi Cary,

this is truly sad news for us!
I'm not sure how the foundation is supposed to replace you. (I'm
guessing a piece of paperboard will be the first step ;)
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%22Brion%22_and_Ward.jpg )

Cary, I wish you all the best for your new path.
And I hope to be able to continue to work with you as a volunteer :)

Kind regards,
Tobias (User:Church of emacs)
Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
+ all of us ! :(

Re: Announcing my departure from the Wikimedia Foundation [ In reply to ]
On 2 August 2010 23:01, Cary Bass <cary@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I enjoy working with each and every one of you.

Likewise. Thanks for everything you've done for us, Cary, and good
luck with your studies.

AGK