Mailing List Archive

Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign
A couple of months ago, we was approached by an artist group which
idea is to raise cultural awareness by putting at billboards stylized
photos of (not so) famous [1] cultural and scientific persons from the
history of Serbia. They wanted to incorporate their art project into
Wikimedia Serbia projects and we've found that it is a great idea. The
project's site is likilink.org [2][3][4].

The project has been done without money. The main company which deals
with billboards in Serbia, Alma Quatro [5] is giving to us not used
billboards for free. "Not used" means, for example, if some billboard
campaign is lasting up to 15th of some month -- as they are renting
space on monthly basis -- the rest of the month is our. So, it is not
about bad locations; contrary, locations are top.

But, it was their initial idea, they will work on that, but, it is up
to Wikimedians to choose who will be the next persons on billboards
all over Serbia.

So, after the first couple of writers, the rest is up to them.

The first person on billboards is Radoje Domanovic [5], Serbian
satirist with Orwellian motives. Those billboards are presently at ~20
places in Belgrade, including large billboards at the highway entrance
to Belgrade.

The second group will be 5 persons with 30 billboards each:
* Two will be Serbian writers.
* One will be a female inventor from our previous, but not yet
finished project ("Female inventors") in cooperation with another
organization.
* One will be Richard Stallman.
* One will be Jimmy Wales.

Yes, Jimmy will get 30 billboards in Belgrade for one month :)

[1] - Famous, but not so as Nikola Tesla or Vuk Karadzic are.
[2] - "Lik i link" means "face/figure and link".
[3] - The billboards are designed as the image from the site, but with
link to the project's site and
[4] - Please, don't ask my why I've put just a JPEG with <map> >:| It
will be fixed today or tomorrow.
[5] - http://www.aqyu.com/
[6] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radoje_Domanovic

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of months ago, we was approached by an artist group which
> idea is to raise cultural awareness by putting at billboards stylized
> photos of (not so) famous [1] cultural and scientific persons from the
> history of Serbia. They wanted to incorporate their art project into
> Wikimedia Serbia projects and we've found that it is a great idea. The
> project's site is likilink.org [2][3][4].
>
> The project has been done without money. The main company which deals
> with billboards in Serbia, Alma Quatro [5] is giving to us not used
> billboards for free. "Not used" means, for example, if some billboard
> campaign is lasting up to 15th of some month -- as they are renting
> space on monthly basis -- the rest of the month is our. So, it is not
> about bad locations; contrary, locations are top.
>
> But, it was their initial idea, they will work on that, but, it is up
> to Wikimedians to choose who will be the next persons on billboards
> all over Serbia.
>
> So, after the first couple of writers, the rest is up to them.
>
> The first person on billboards is Radoje Domanovic [5], Serbian
> satirist with Orwellian motives. Those billboards are presently at ~20
> places in Belgrade, including large billboards at the highway entrance
> to Belgrade.
>
> The second group will be 5 persons with 30 billboards each:
> * Two will be Serbian writers.
> * One will be a female inventor from our previous, but not yet
> finished project ("Female inventors") in cooperation with another
> organization.
> * One will be Richard Stallman.
> * One will be Jimmy Wales.
>
> Yes, Jimmy will get 30 billboards in Belgrade for one month :)
>
> [1] - Famous, but not so as Nikola Tesla or Vuk Karadzic are.
> [2] - "Lik i link" means "face/figure and link".
> [3] - The billboards are designed as the image from the site, but with
> link to the project's site and
> [4] - Please, don't ask my why I've put just a JPEG with <map> >:| It
> will be fixed today or tomorrow.
> [5] - http://www.aqyu.com/
> [6] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radoje_Domanovic
>

Ah, and I forgot a couple of important information:

* The first campaign is ongoing: from previous Monday to next Tuesday.
* The second campaign will start at Wednesday and it will last for one month.

From that point, persons on billboards will be chosen directly by
Wikimedians. I will make two projects: one on sr.wp, another on Meta.
There will be possible to propose and vote for a person which would be
on billboards. Let's say, 2-3 on sr.wp and 3-4 on Meta.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of months ago, we was approached by an artist group which
> idea is to raise cultural awareness by putting at billboards stylized
> photos of (not so) famous [1] cultural and scientific persons from the
> history of Serbia. They wanted to incorporate their art project into
> Wikimedia Serbia projects and we've found that it is a great idea. The
> project's site is likilink.org [2][3][4].
>

Just want to say that this is very cool and awesome. :-) The
simplistic site is also very cool.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> [3] - The billboards are designed as the image from the site, but with
> link to the project's site and

... and Wikipedia logo. At the site, user can click on the image,
which leads to the appropriate article.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
Congratulations on this successful alternative use of content in a BIG SCALE
way. :-)

Thanks for sharing it with us. Wonderful idea!

Sydney Poore
(FloNight)

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [3] - The billboards are designed as the image from the site, but with
> > link to the project's site and
>
> ... and Wikipedia logo. At the site, user can click on the image,
> which leads to the appropriate article.
>
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
we want photo's!

2010/6/17 Sydney Poore <sydney.poore@gmail.com>

> Congratulations on this successful alternative use of content in a BIG
> SCALE
> way. :-)
>
> Thanks for sharing it with us. Wonderful idea!
>
> Sydney Poore
> (FloNight)
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:26 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 11:09 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > [3] - The billboards are designed as the image from the site, but with
> > > link to the project's site and
> >
> > ... and Wikipedia logo. At the site, user can click on the image,
> > which leads to the appropriate article.
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > foundation-l mailing list
> > foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
> >
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk@effeietsanders.org> wrote:
> we want photo's!

The company is making photos of every billboard. We have a deal to get
all of them under GFDL/CC-BY-SA :)

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Lodewijk <lodewijk@effeietsanders.org> wrote:
>> we want photo's!
>
> The company is making photos of every billboard. We have a deal to get
> all of them under GFDL/CC-BY-SA :)
>

First photos (without formal approval, thus not on Commons):
http://likilink.org/photos/

* The first one (500957) is at Belgrade Fair [1] and presents poet,
film director etc. Mika Antic [2].
* The second one (503439) is at the highway entrance of Belgrade and
presents writer Borislav Pekic [3]
* The third photo (505921) is somewhat funny, Borislav Pekic again,
but I don't know where it is.
* For the fourth photo (505930, Mika Antic again) I don't know where
it stays, too.

Those billboards are from the phase 0. All of them should be replaced
by Radoje Domanovic up to yesterday or so.

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgrade_Fair
[2] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mika_Antic
[3] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borislav_Pekic

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now we have Jimmy's and Stallman's billboards all over Belgrade. I'll
> send photos ASAP. For now, there are their images at
> http://likilik.org/
>

http://likilink.org/

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The billboards look pretty cool!

--
Huib "Abigor" Laurens

Tech team

www.wikiweet.nl - www.llamadawiki.nl - www.forgotten-beauty.com -
www.huiblaurens.nl - www.wikiweet.org
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
--- El dom 27-jun-10, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> escribió:

> De: Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>
> Asunto: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign
> Para: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> Fecha: domingo, 27 de junio de 2010, 18:39
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM,
> Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Now we have Jimmy's and Stallman's billboards all over
> Belgrade. I'll
> > send photos ASAP. For now, there are their images at
> > http://likilik.org/
> >
>
> http://likilink.org/

"Džimi Vejls"; makes me laugh every time. :)
Do the billboards on the street have anything written?

BTW; Isidora looks great!

Cheers,
MarianoC.-

PS: Kako da Mari ni u cirilici?




_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Mariano Cecowski <
marianocecowski@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

>
>
> --- El dom 27-jun-10, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> escribió:
>
> > De: Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>
> > Asunto: Re: [Foundation-l] Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign
> > Para: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <
> foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org>
> > Fecha: domingo, 27 de junio de 2010, 18:39
> > On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM,
> > Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Now we have Jimmy's and Stallman's billboards all over
> > Belgrade. I'll
> > > send photos ASAP. For now, there are their images at
> > > http://likilik.org/
> > >
> >
> > http://likilink.org/
>
> "Džimi Vejls"; makes me laugh every time. :)
> Do the billboards on the street have anything written?
>
> BTW; Isidora looks great!
>
> Cheers,
> MarianoC.-
>
> PS: Kako da Mari ni u cirilici?
>
>
> <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l>
>

Cheers! They look great! Something like this is spectacular and I wish we
could see more around the world. I'd love to see some data on whether you
guys are getting a good jump in traffic. I'm sure I can find some for the
wiki in the morning do you know how active your webpage has been so far?


James Alexander
james.alexander@rochester.edu
jamesofur@gmail.com
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:30 AM, James Alexander <jamesofur@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Cheers! They look great! Something like this is spectacular and I wish we
> could see more around the world. I'd love to see some data on whether you
> guys are getting a good jump in traffic. I'm sure I can find some for the
> wiki in the morning do you know how active your webpage has been so far?

Actually, we've been already discussing the idea how to spread this
all over Europe, as Alma Quatro has network in a number of European
countries where WM chapters exist.

Presently, the project is in its early stages. During the autumn we
will have much better clue for everything related to the project.

I have statistics of the project site. There are ~80 unique visits
today, of which ~20 in the last 30 minutes. 80% of all visits are
direct (other 20% are from this mailing list, from Wikipedia Signpost
and similar).

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Mariano Cecowski
<marianocecowski@yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> "Džimi Vejls"; makes me laugh every time. :)
> Do the billboards on the street have anything written?

There were a lot of discussions how to transliterate "Wales" in
Serbian. As Jimmy's name is the same as the name for the country Wales
and we have traditional pronunciation/spelling Vels, it was the first
option. Then, we asked Jimmy how he would like to have his surname
transcribed, which was "Vejls" :)

> PS: Kako da Mari ni u cirilici?

It is possible to write in both alphabets on Wikipedia in Serbian. If
you want to see the article in the other alphabet, you should click on
"ћирлица" (or "latinica") tab.

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, we've been already discussing the idea how to spread this
> all over Europe, as Alma Quatro has network in a number of European
> countries where WM chapters exist.

They appear to have connection to JCDecaux, who are pretty big in some
countries, including Denmark..

-Ole, WMDK


--
http://palnatoke.org * @palnatoke * +4522934588

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
Re: Wikimedia Serbia billboard campaign [ In reply to ]
While waiting to get all photos made by AQ, we took our cameras:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:LikiLink

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l@lists.wikimedia.org
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l