I'm not sure if WMF is aware, or if there is the possibility to close
the page.

Cruccone

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
>a friend of mine just pointed out this event on facebook, a vandalize wikipedia day

The event only involves a couple of hundred individuals, so it's not
really a big problem. If the event starts to take off (these kind of
things can quickly go viral on facebook), then a post at the
administrators' noticeboard on any affected projects (enwiki will
probably be the only one, I imagine) would be a sensible next step.
The event recommends "chang[ing] a random page to something stupid for
fun". That kind of vandalism is historically the type that we've been
best at catching, which is a plus.

>I'm not sure if WMF is aware, or if there is the possibility to close the page

As above, there are far bigger fish to fry. But it's worth keeping an
eye on the event page in case its exposure grows.

Well-spotted, Cruccone.

AGK

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
I would say that we should send a note in the local wiki mailing lists.
Atleast that can stay on people's mind *IF* that becomes a threat.

Regards,
Jyothis.

http://www.Jyothis.net

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis
I am the first customer of http://www.netdotnet.com

woods are lovely dark and deep,
but i have promises to keep and
miles to go before i sleep and
lines to go before I press sleep

completion date = (start date + ((estimated effort x 3.1415926) / resources)
+ ((total coffee breaks x 0.25) / 24)) + Effort in meetings

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I reported the page.
If enough people do so, it might be closed by FB.

Regards,

Yann

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
did so too, concur with yann!

very best,
oscar

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Yann Forget <yannfo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I reported the page.
> If enough people do so, it might be closed by FB.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann
>
> 2010/5/3 Marco Chiesa <chiesa.marco@gmail.com>:
> > Hi,
> > a friend of mine just pointed out this event on facebook, a
> > vandalize wikipedia day
> >
> http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=110813902286034&ref=search&sid=674858731.794509965..1
> > I'm not sure if WMF is aware, or if there is the possibility to close
> > the page.
> >
> > Cruccone

*edito ergo sum*

******************
The information contained in this message is confidential and may be legally
privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return
Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
The event page now redirects to facebook's homepage, which I think
means that the page has been terminated.

AGK

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
Some of us had reported it

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
As I was contacting the FB product team this morning (PST time) I
noticed that it was already taken down through the normal channels.
Thanks to everyone for finding and reporting this.

--Kul

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
On 3 May 2010 21:16, Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As I was contacting the FB product team this morning (PST time) I
> noticed that it was already taken down through the normal channels.
> Thanks to everyone for finding and reporting this.

I think it's worth noting that such things are as the buzzing of flies
to the number of vandal edits Wikipedia gets *all the time*. The
efforts of this group would have been lost in the noise.

Vandalising Wikipedia is (a) easy (b) neither big nor clever. It's no
harder than littering, and as socially redeeming. We're used to
cleaning it up, but that's no reason to perpetuate it.

- d.

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
There are also two groups:
Vandalize Wikipedia
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=108626792509959&ref=ts
and
I Vandalize Wikipedia
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=2210946918&ref=ts

masti

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
On 3 May 2010 21:37, masti <mastigm@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are also two groups:
> Vandalize Wikipedia
> http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=108626792509959&ref=ts
> and
> I Vandalize Wikipedia
> http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=2210946918&ref=ts

I'd suggest don't get all fussed and trolled by them.

- d.

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
Honestly, not worth our time bothering with, unless they're really
big. If you think about it all that does is incentivize the process.

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
The more time you spend trying to shutdown the pages/groups/whatever
else, the more it encourages users to do it, So just pay no attention
to them.

-Peachey

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 19:07, K. Peachey <p858snake@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> The more time you spend trying to shutdown the pages/groups/whatever
> else, the more it encourages users to do it, So just pay no attention
> to them.

We have an article on that! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

~A

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
Vandalizing Wikipedia may actually get a few started on the project. It's
usually easier to persuade people to do "evil" sounding things on the
internet than real-life - some positive externalities may arise.

Anirudh Bhati

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudhsbh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Vandalizing Wikipedia may actually get a few started on the project. It's
> usually easier to persuade people to do "evil" sounding things on the
> internet than real-life - some positive externalities may arise.
>
> I agree, I've actually met at least 3 people "out in the world" who
admitted to starting off vandalizing the Wikipedia and then ended up editing
it legitimately. Two of them do very random wikiGnome stuff when they see it
and the third has actually done quite a few articles now.

Jamesofur
James Alexander
james.alexander@rochester.edu
jamesofur@gmail.com
100 gmail invites and no one to give them to :( let me know if you want one
:)
Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
James Alexander wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudhsbh@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Vandalizing Wikipedia may actually get a few started on the project. It's
>> usually easier to persuade people to do "evil" sounding things on the
>> internet than real-life - some positive externalities may arise.
>>
>> I agree, I've actually met at least 3 people "out in the world" who
>>
> admitted to starting off vandalizing the Wikipedia and then ended up editing
> it legitimately. Two of them do very random wikiGnome stuff when they see it
> and the third has actually done quite a few articles now.

That's very interesting to know. Do you have any idea what made them
convert from being vandals to positive contributors? Knowing more about
this, and possible identifying commonalities in these cases could help
us figure out what it might take to get more people to be good contributors.

--Kul

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
--- El mar 4-may-10, Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa@wikimedia.org> escribió:
> >> I agree, I've actually met at least 3 people "out in the world" who
> >> admitted to starting off vandalizing the Wikipedia and then ended up
> >> editing it legitimately...
> >
> That's very interesting to know. Do you have any idea what
> made them convert from being vandals to positive contributors?
> Knowing more about this, and possible identifying commonalities
> in these cases could help us figure out what it might take to
> get more people to be good contributors.

and to identify and learn how to deal with the different kind of vandals...

MarianoC.-

Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> James Alexander wrote:
> > On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Anirudh Bhati <anirudhsbh@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> Vandalizing Wikipedia may actually get a few started on the project.
> It's
> >> usually easier to persuade people to do "evil" sounding things on the
> >> internet than real-life - some positive externalities may arise.
> >>
> >> I agree, I've actually met at least 3 people "out in the world" who
> >>
> > admitted to starting off vandalizing the Wikipedia and then ended up
> editing
> > it legitimately. Two of them do very random wikiGnome stuff when they see
> it
> > and the third has actually done quite a few articles now.
> >

> That's very interesting to know. Do you have any idea what made them
> convert from being vandals to positive contributors?

Reading Template:Test, of course.
Re: Vandalize wikipedia day on facebook [ In reply to ]
Speaking from my own experience, I started off as a "vandal" got a couple of
test warnings and then I started contributing meaningfully. As long as the
vandalism is not subtle and experimenting users are not labelled as
"vandals" as such, it can be easily managed by bots and users.

ZOMG LET''S VANDALIZE WIKIPEDIA!!!11!! will inevitably get more attention
than "Let us write an article day!".

Yours sincerely,

Anirudh Singh Bhati
Student of Law, Gujarat National Law University,
Gandhinagar, India.

Handphone: +919328712208
Skype: anirudhsbh

Anyone who needs to be persuaded to be free, doesn’t deserve to be. —L. Neil
Smith.