Mailing List Archive

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about new features Facebook is planning on
launching later today that involve articles from Wikipedia. Facebook is
going to begin integrating Wikipedia’s free knowledge into a new part of
the Facebook.com site experience to help users be more connected and
informed about the topics and activities that interest them. They're
calling this service Facebook Community Pages, portal pages which will
be owned and managed by the Facebook community.

Wikipedia articles on Facebook will further increase the reach of free
knowledge on the internet. Facebook has hundreds of millions of users,
and now more than 70% of their traffic is coming from outside of the US.
Our hope is that many Facebook users (if they are not already) will also
be inclined to join the large community of Wikipedia contributors.
Facebook will follow the free licenses (CC-BY-SA) and help us find more
ways people can share knowledge. Furthermore, we will be looking at
other ways that both parties can cooperate in the future.

Initially it looks like this service will be focussed on English
Wikipedia, but considering Facebook's multi-lingual community it seems
likely that other languages will be brought in quickly. Because Facebook
members build the Community Pages, they will be able to suggest or add
more Wikipedia articles (as well as other relevant content from the
web). They will also have a built-in feedback system in case the
article provided is not correct or has any display problems.

It's going to be a learning situation for both us and them so we'll see
how this goes.

--Kul

--
Kul Takanao Wadhwa
Head of Business Development

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
Will there be any way to encourage/allow people to edit the Wikipedia
articles Facebook will be using?

On the one hand, I think it's definitely praiseworthy that we have found
another outlet for distributing Wikipedia articles and thus fulfilling our
mission. But to be perfectly honest, the idea of a Facebook mirror that
siphons off potential editors and lets Facebook slap ads around our work
feels like a bum deal for Wikimedia.

Steven Walling

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
I would go with "Contribute to this article - click edit" button that takes
you back to the Wikipedia, where new editors can edit to their hearts'
content without the ads getting into the way of the knowledge project.

Regs,

Rui

On 19 April 2010 22:04, Steven Walling <steven.walling@gmail.com> wrote:

> Will there be any way to encourage/allow people to edit the Wikipedia
> articles Facebook will be using?
>
> On the one hand, I think it's definitely praiseworthy that we have found
> another outlet for distributing Wikipedia articles and thus fulfilling our
> mission. But to be perfectly honest, the idea of a Facebook mirror that
> siphons off potential editors and lets Facebook slap ads around our work
> feels like a bum deal for Wikimedia.
>
> Steven Walling
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Kul Takanao Wadhwa
> <kwadhwa@wikimedia.org>wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I just wanted to let you know about new features Facebook is planning on
> > launching later today that involve articles from Wikipedia. Facebook is
> > going to begin integrating Wikipedia’s free knowledge into a new part of
> > the Facebook.com site experience to help users be more connected and
> > informed about the topics and activities that interest them. They're
> > calling this service Facebook Community Pages, portal pages which will
> > be owned and managed by the Facebook community.
> >
> > Wikipedia articles on Facebook will further increase the reach of free
> > knowledge on the internet. Facebook has hundreds of millions of users,
> > and now more than 70% of their traffic is coming from outside of the US.
> > Our hope is that many Facebook users (if they are not already) will also
> > be inclined to join the large community of Wikipedia contributors.
> > Facebook will follow the free licenses (CC-BY-SA) and help us find more
> > ways people can share knowledge. Furthermore, we will be looking at
> > other ways that both parties can cooperate in the future.
> >
> > Initially it looks like this service will be focussed on English
> > Wikipedia, but considering Facebook's multi-lingual community it seems
> > likely that other languages will be brought in quickly. Because Facebook
> > members build the Community Pages, they will be able to suggest or add
> > more Wikipedia articles (as well as other relevant content from the
> > web). They will also have a built-in feedback system in case the
> > article provided is not correct or has any display problems.
> >
> > It's going to be a learning situation for both us and them so we'll see
> > how this goes.
> >
> > --Kul
> >
> > --
> > Kul Takanao Wadhwa
> > Head of Business Development
> > Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> > kul@wikimedia.org
> > (415) 839-6885 ext. 603

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Consultant
Angola Liaison Consultant
2 Cutten St
Horison
Roodepoort-Johannesburg,
South Africa
Tel/ Fax (+27-11) 766-4336
Mobile (+27) (0) 84-498-6838
Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
On 19 April 2010 21:08, Rui Correia <correia.rui@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would go with "Contribute to this article - click edit" button that takes
> you back to the Wikipedia, where new editors can edit to their hearts'
> content without the ads getting into the way of the knowledge project.

Yep. But having the content right there as part of Facebook is
*excellent*. Facebook is one of those sites that people tend to live
in. (The original Web 1.0 promise of the "portal." Me, I live in my
Gmail ...)

- d.

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
On Apr 19, 2010, at 10:04 PM, Steven Walling wrote:

> Will there be any way to encourage/allow people to edit the Wikipedia
> articles Facebook will be using?

My current understanding is "yes", but it's possible that's wrong and/
or out of date.

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations and
Facilitator, Strategy Project
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe@wikimedia.org

ofc: +1 415 839 6885 (x 643)
mobile: 918 200 WIKI (9454)

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in
the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
Hey Steven,

> On the one hand, I think it's definitely praiseworthy that we have found
> another outlet for distributing Wikipedia articles and thus fulfilling
> our mission. But to be perfectly honest, the idea of a Facebook mirror
> that siphons off potential editors and lets Facebook slap ads around our
> work feels like a bum deal for Wikimedia.

That's a good point and we did give this a lot of thought. Facebook
wanted to do this anyway (and they could take the content as long as
they follow the license(s)) but we thought that, in the end, it would be
better if we work with them on this to influence them to do it in a
positive. Plus, we let them know that we will be forwarding on our
community's feedback so this give us a better way to deal with them.
This will be a learning experience. We hope that things move in a
positive direction on this and Facebook has been very cooperative.

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
Rui,

On 4/19/10 1:08 PM, Rui Correia wrote:
> I would go with "Contribute to this article - click edit" button that takes
> you back to the Wikipedia, where new editors can edit to their hearts'
> content without the ads getting into the way of the knowledge project.

Facebook told us that they would have links that would take people back
to Wikipedia so they could edit.

--Kul

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
At this point it looks like all links inside of the community pages link directly back to Wikipedia, including the history, 'source,' and 'edit' tabs. Also, all images in the community pages, when clicked, take you directly to Wikipedia.

It doesn't appear that all Facebook users have access to community pages yet. I can see them, but I can't get to them from my profile. I think they're rolling the service out slowly, so some changes to how the WP articles are presented seems likely.

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
Will we learn the traffic data from Facebook? Will we be able to do the kind
of data analysis that we do on our own traffic data ?
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
In light of my earlier comments (thanks for the reply Kul), I just want to
say that any fears I had about Facebook using content for Community Pages
have been put to rest. The fairly prominent "View on Wikipedia" and "edit"
buttons are nice to see! This could actually be great for Wikipedia.

Steven Walling

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
It's something that I think they'll be interested in sharing, although right now I imagine they're pretty strapped resource-wise implementing the features, but we should certainly ask if they can stay open-minded to that idea.

jay

On Apr 22, 2010, at 1:32 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> Hoi,
> Will we learn the traffic data from Facebook? Will we be able to do the kind
> of data analysis that we do on our own traffic data ?
> Thanks,
> GerardM
>
> On 19 April 2010 21:50, Kul Takanao Wadhwa <kwadhwa@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just wanted to let you know about new features Facebook is planning on
>> launching later today that involve articles from Wikipedia. Facebook is
>> going to begin integrating Wikipedia’s free knowledge into a new part of
>> the Facebook.com site experience to help users be more connected and
>> informed about the topics and activities that interest them. They're
>> calling this service Facebook Community Pages, portal pages which will
>> be owned and managed by the Facebook community.
>>
>> Wikipedia articles on Facebook will further increase the reach of free
>> knowledge on the internet. Facebook has hundreds of millions of users,
>> and now more than 70% of their traffic is coming from outside of the US.
>> Our hope is that many Facebook users (if they are not already) will also
>> be inclined to join the large community of Wikipedia contributors.
>> Facebook will follow the free licenses (CC-BY-SA) and help us find more
>> ways people can share knowledge. Furthermore, we will be looking at
>> other ways that both parties can cooperate in the future.
>>
>> Initially it looks like this service will be focussed on English
>> Wikipedia, but considering Facebook's multi-lingual community it seems
>> likely that other languages will be brought in quickly. Because Facebook
>> members build the Community Pages, they will be able to suggest or add
>> more Wikipedia articles (as well as other relevant content from the
>> web). They will also have a built-in feedback system in case the
>> article provided is not correct or has any display problems.
>>
>> It's going to be a learning situation for both us and them so we'll see
>> how this goes.
>>
>> --Kul
>>
>> --
>> Kul Takanao Wadhwa
>> Head of Business Development
>> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
>> kul@wikimedia.org
>> (415) 839-6885 ext. 603

Jay Walsh
Head of Communications
WikimediaFoundation.org
blog.wikimedia.org
+1 (415) 839 6885 x 609, @jansonw

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
Hi Gerard,

On 4/22/10 1:32 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Hoi,
> Will we learn the traffic data from Facebook? Will we be able to do the
> kind of data analysis that we do on our own traffic data ?

Great question. This involves some coordination with the usability team
and Dr. Z (Erik Zachte) so we should be able to do this when we're
ready. For example, Howie on the usability team said that he'd like to
analyze fb users and their subsequent editing behavior after arriving at
wikipedia and compare this to other traffic sources such as google and
our own home page. This could answer questions like: are fb users more
likely to edit given that they, on average, are already publishing on
the Internet through their status updates/comments/etc? It would be
really interesting to learn more here which would help us make better
decisions about other partners we should work with.

On a separate note, I owe you a follow-up answer on language support for
mobile. We're analyzing the situation now and I will reach out to you
directly on that.

--Kul

Re: Heads up: Wikipedia on Facebook [ In reply to ]
Hey Steven,

On 4/22/10 2:11 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
> In light of my earlier comments (thanks for the reply Kul), I just want to
> say that any fears I had about Facebook using content for Community Pages
> have been put to rest. The fairly prominent "View on Wikipedia" and "edit"
> buttons are nice to see! This could actually be great for Wikipedia.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

However, I'm sure issues will come up (including mistakes, problems) so
we'll need ongoing feedback. Everything is always under construction so
keep on us!

--Kul