Mailing List Archive

Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia
It was raised before on the Village Pump, but I think this is so disturbing
that we ought to do something.

"Alphascript Publishing" has published over 1900 (and counting) books, all
available on Amazon. Prices range from $31 to $179. All of these books are
simple computer-generated copies from Wikipedia and (at least according to
one Amazon reviewer) couple other public domain websites. Trouble is, from
book description page there is absolutely no way of knowing that the book is
a Wikipedia mirror on paper. At least several Amazon buyers have been
fooled. What really gets my blood boiling is that Amazon user "VDM Verlag
Dr.Müller" (I think someone exposed him as 100% shareholder of the
publishing co) goes on rating these products as "five star"....

The publisher seems to observe the copyright (even includes full edit
history) so legal action seems impossible. Someone already contacted Amazon,
but they "are not responsible for the quality of books sold". In the
meantime the number of such books grew from 900 in June to almost 2000 as of
today... I think we should do something. At the very least publishing
product reviews warning that what this is....

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:PrimeHunter/Alphascript_Publishing_sells_free_articles_as_expensive_books
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)/Archive_20#The_Alphascript-Amazon-Wikipedia_book_hoax
http://rufftoon.livejournal.com/59337.html

Thanks,
Renata

P.S. on a happier note: half of Wikipedia editors now can claim to be
"published authors".
Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
When I worked for the FSF I helped to run a campaign against the
Amazon Kindle (and, DRM in general). We did an action called "The
Kindle Swindle" in which we asked people to tag all DRM ebooks and the
kindle itself with the tags "kindle swindle" and "DRM".

People went ahead and tagged close to a thousand products with the
term "Kindle Swindle" and the Kindle advice was tagged with that
phrase close to 400 times making it become one of the top four tags on
the Kindle page.

What is kind of neat is that for each tag-term has its own discussion
forum. The "Kindle Swindle" tag has a relatively active set of
discussion threads [1], and the original comment I wrote [2] has over
250 replies to it.

I imagine some combination of blogging, tagging, and letter writing
could help in some way to increase consumer awareness and this kind of
work can be done in a distributed fashion by wikimedians worldwide.

footnotes
:[1] http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle%20swindle?ref_=tag_dpp_cust_itdp_t
:[2] http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle%20swindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx9U9IIOS8R4U3&cdThread=TxEMQ1LM199AP8&displayType=tagsDetail

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Renata St<renatawiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> It was raised before on the Village Pump, but I think this is so disturbing
> that we ought to do something.
>
> "Alphascript Publishing" has published over 1900 (and counting) books, all
> available on Amazon. Prices range from $31 to $179. All of these books are
> simple computer-generated copies from Wikipedia and (at least according to
> one Amazon reviewer) couple other public domain websites. Trouble is, from
> book description page there is absolutely no way of knowing that the book is
> a Wikipedia mirror on paper. At least several Amazon buyers have been
> fooled. What really gets my blood boiling is that Amazon user "VDM Verlag
> Dr.Müller" (I think someone exposed him as 100% shareholder of the
> publishing co) goes on rating these products as "five star"....
>
> The publisher seems to observe the copyright (even includes full edit
> history) so legal action seems impossible. Someone already contacted Amazon,
> but they "are not responsible for the quality of books sold". In the
> meantime the number of such books grew from 900 in June to almost 2000 as of
> today... I think we should do something. At the very least publishing
> product reviews warning that what this is....
>
> See:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:PrimeHunter/Alphascript_Publishing_sells_free_articles_as_expensive_books
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)/Archive_20#The_Alphascript-Amazon-Wikipedia_book_hoax
> http://rufftoon.livejournal.com/59337.html
>
> Thanks,
> Renata
>
> P.S. on a happier note: half of Wikipedia editors now can claim to be
> "published authors".

I am running the Arizona Rock'n'Roll marathon with Team in Training.
Help me reach my fundraising goals:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/ma/pfchangs10/joshuagay

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
I would be exceedingly uncomfortable with us organizing a negative
campaign against any publisher not actually violating our copyright.
. A factual campaign, providing information is another matter. It
would be entirely appropriate for individuals, even in a somewhat
coordinated way, to add a review, just pointing out that it is
entirely a copy of a Wikipedia article, and available free in an
updated version from our website--and in updated form.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
That was kinda my point.
They "deceive" potential buyers into thinking it's an original book/content
without disclosing that it's just a copy from Wikipedia. There are
disclaimers inside the book -- but that comes only after opening the wallet.
Someone should put it up front.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
David Goodman wrote:
> I would be exceedingly uncomfortable with us organizing a negative
> campaign against any publisher not actually violating our copyright.
> . A factual campaign, providing information is another matter. It
> would be entirely appropriate for individuals, even in a somewhat
> coordinated way, to add a review, just pointing out that it is
> entirely a copy of a Wikipedia article, and available free in an
> updated version from our website--and in updated form.

It may still be violating moral rights, which are a part of the
copyright law even though no penalties are provided. There could also
be a case for fraudulent misrepresentation.

Another alternative might be for Wikimedians to put together a company
that would sell similar books to the public at cost, perhaps on a print
on demand basis so as to get the latest versions. Article selection
might be the same, and they could even use identical titles for each
book, but there would be no deception about where the material comes from.

Ec

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Renata St wrote:
> They "deceive" potential buyers into thinking it's an original book/content
> without disclosing that it's just a copy from Wikipedia. There are
> disclaimers inside the book -- but that comes only after opening the wallet.
> Someone should put it up front.

I don't know if they commonly do it but at least at
http://amazon.decenturl.com/amazon.com-prehistoric-europe they openly
say it's from Wikipedia.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Nikola Smolenski<smolensk@eunet.yu> wrote:

> I don't know if they commonly do it but at least at
> http://amazon.decenturl.com/amazon.com-prehistoric-europe they openly
> say it's from Wikipedia.

And still by reading that review you get the impression that they're
building upon wikipedia articles giving a more up-to-date version :)
I'm glad they respect the license at least.
In Italy we recently discovered a similar case, with a guy writing
books copying verbatim wikipedia articles. He didn't respect the
license, selling the content as his own copyright, however. The funny
thing was that he forgot at least one "Citation needed" tag, so we had
a lot of fun at it.wp Village Pump
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bar/Discussioni/Un_libro_fatto_con_wikipedia_e_i_%22citazione_necessaria%22
What one of us did was to put a review saying "Don't buy this book,
it's a copy from Wikipedia". The book was retracted from the website a
few days afterwards.

Cruccone

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
As long as the books give sufficient indication that they are from
Wikipedia, as long as the license requirement is met, this gentlemen is
welcome to ask as much as people are willing to pay. If anything this is
EXACTLY something that we can do as well. The German Verein did a good job a
few years back with publishing its own books.

It is fine that you do not like it. When you agitate against this do realise
that it has been said often enough that commercial parties are welcome to do
this. If you want to do better, you can, and when you feel that it needs to
be more clear where the content comes from, you will make that more clear as
well.
Thanks,
GerardM

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/13 David Goodman <dgoodmanny@gmail.com>:

> I would be exceedingly uncomfortable with us organizing a negative
> campaign against any publisher not actually violating our copyright.
> .  A factual campaign, providing information is another matter. It
> would be entirely appropriate for individuals, even in a somewhat
> coordinated way, to add a review, just pointing out that it is
> entirely a copy of a Wikipedia article, and available free in  an
> updated version from our website--and in updated form.

"The contents of this book are reprinted from Wikipedia. Thanks to Dr
--- for making Wikipedia content available commercially in printed
form, in full observance of copyright requirements. We do this to
spread knowledge, after all!"

- d.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]

> As long as the books give sufficient indication that they are from
> Wikipedia, ...

Inside the book -- yes, plenty of indication about copying. But nothing to
warn you before you buy. People are buying these books tricked into thinking
it's an original content.
Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/14 Renata St <renatawiki@gmail.com>:

>> As long as the books give sufficient indication that they are from
>> Wikipedia, ...

> Inside the book -- yes, plenty of indication about copying. But nothing to
> warn you before you buy. People are buying these books tricked into thinking
> it's an original content.

Yuh. Point it out in reviews etc.

- d.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]

> Another alternative might be for Wikimedians to put together a company
> that would sell similar books to the public at cost, perhaps on a print
> on demand basis so as to get the latest versions. Article selection
> might be the same, and they could even use identical titles for each
> book, but there would be no deception about where the material comes from.

Already done: PediaPress.
Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]

> >> As long as the books give sufficient indication that they are from
> >> Wikipedia, ...
>
> > Inside the book -- yes, plenty of indication about copying. But nothing
> > warn you before you buy. People are buying these books tricked into
> thinking
> > it's an original content.
>
> Yuh. Point it out in reviews etc.

Exactly, except that there are 2000 such books. Amazon would block me for
spamming (irony!) if I attempted to review all of them.
Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/14 Renata St <renatawiki@gmail.com>:

>> > Inside the book -- yes, plenty of indication about copying. But nothing
>> > warn you before you buy. People are buying these books tricked into
>> thinking
>> > it's an original content.

>> Yuh. Point it out in reviews etc.

> Exactly, except that there are 2000 such books. Amazon would block me for
> spamming (irony!) if I attempted to review all of them.

Hah. Put up a blog entry or web page detailing your concern and asking
others to help?

- d.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 1:20 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> nothing
> >> thinking
>
> >> Yuh. Point it out in reviews etc.
>
> > Exactly, except that there are 2000 such books. Amazon would block me for
> > spamming (irony!) if I attempted to review all of them.
>

> Hah. Put up a blog entry or web page detailing your concern and asking
> others to help?

Or email to two interested mailing lists?...
Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Maybe there should be a [[:category:printed articles]]. It should ignore
personal and educational use with a note at the top saying "Alphascript
Publishing used this article in whole or major part for a commercial
printing of Wikipedia.". It would be nice of them to create the category and
make it complete.

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
2009/8/17 Jay Litwyn <brewhaha@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca>:
> Maybe there should be a [[:category:printed articles]]. It should ignore
> personal and educational use with a note at the top saying "Alphascript
> Publishing used this article in whole or major part for a commercial
> printing of Wikipedia.". It would be nice of them to create the category and
> make it complete.

Huh? The last thing we should be doing is advertising them like that,
especially in the encyclopedia.

Pete / the wub

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
The single best way to kill them is to reprint the exact same books, then sell them at the low low price of cost + 10%. When people start snapping them up like fruitcakes, Alphascript will be finished.

________________________________

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> The single best way to kill them is to reprint the exact same books, then sell them at the low low price of cost + 10%. When people start snapping them up like fruitcakes, Alphascript will be finished.

From looking at only two books published by Alphascript, "Finnish
Paganism" and "Iron";
I think we could choose a much better selection to sell, at a price well
below that of
Alphascript.

The book on Finnish Paganism lacks the article that has the best
overview of the subject:
[[Finnish mythology]]; while Iron lacks our articles on most methods of
processing the
metal, such as [[Bloomery]].

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Geoffrey Plourde wrote:
> The single best way to kill them is to reprint the exact same books, then sell them at the low low price of cost + 10%. When people start snapping them up like fruitcakes, Alphascript will be finished.

Not just the same books, but the same books corrected and updated.

Ec

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
This won't work. The problem is that these books are not being clearly
marketed as printed Wikipedia articles. So, marketing your books as up to
date printed versions of Wikipedia articles isn't going to be competing with
these books.

I recommend doing a positive campaign where you encourage people to log onto
amazon and leave helpful comments and tag and categorize books
appropriately.

However, I don't think this is the work of the foundation. I think some
active wikipedians and wikimedians should bring this to the community. If I
had more energy I would do it myself, and here is what I would do:

1) Write a blog post encouraging people to log onto Amazon and write a
short, respectable, and helpful comment on the books so that consumers can
understand the situation.

2) Get this blog post translated into a few languages.

3) Write an email that asks the reader to:
* Pass this email on to others
* Vote the story up on various news aggregator sites (Digg, etc).
* Go to the page and read the blog for more details and to take part in this
collaborative effort to inform consumers.

4) Send it out to a lot of people (many thousand).

5) Release a short press release about the blog and the people joining in
this effort and send that out to various news sources.

-Josh

Re: Alphascript Publishing: 1900+ copy&pasted books from Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
I want to add another aspect, which makes Alphacript a PITA:

Their arbitrary selection of author names. From all those contributors
of all articles included in their (usually incompetently compiled) selection,
they just pick the "best sounding", i.e. realnamish, on the front and into
the amazon system.

So if you are editing under your real name, e.g. [[de:Benutzer:Florian_Adler]],
you can find yourself prominently linked to this scam. I assume some of the
affected users have already made Alphscript stop this. I don't find
Norbert Dragon
anymore on their listings. As a professor of physics he surely wasn't amused
to be named as the author of some overpriced compilations of mediocre articles.

Regards,
Peter