Mailing List Archive

First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia
Dear folks,

In order to pursue our trademark registration in Canada, we would like
to document the earliest uses of Wikipedia by Canadians. Our Canadian
staff members (Sue Gardner and Jay Walsh) believe the first Canadian
uses of Wikipedia date back near the origins of
Wikipedia itself. Considering that Wikipedia started in early 2001,
this should mean that by early 2002 there was significant Canadian
use of the English-language Wikipedia project. I assume there was
also early use of the French-language Wikipedia project by French
Canadians -- that would also help us here.

Does anyone here have any thoughts about how we might document the
(likely) fact that Canadians were engaged with Wikipedia early on?

--Mike Godwin
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation

Re: First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Check some of teh contributions of our earliest Canadian editors, some of
whom have since left the project.

Eclecticology and Koyanisqaatsi (sp.?) come to mind.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)
Re: First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
Koyaanisqatsi, who is Canadian, first posted to the Wikipedia mailing list
in July, 2001. Note, however, that he posted from a nupedia mailing address.

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)
Re: First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
A good place to ask, although not necessarily the best, would be the
WMF Canada group, which are currently working to become a chapter.
They meet weekly, and I would be happy to ask them at their next
meeting (I believe it's on wednesday) if they know, or if they know
anybody who knows.

--Andrew Whitworth

Re: First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Feb 18, 2008 1:37 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> In order to pursue our trademark registration in Canada, we would like
> to document the earliest uses of Wikipedia by Canadians. Our Canadian
> staff members (Sue Gardner and Jay Walsh) believe the first Canadian
> uses of Wikipedia date back near the origins of
> Wikipedia itself. Considering that Wikipedia started in early 2001,
> this should mean that by early 2002 there was significant Canadian
> use of the English-language Wikipedia project. I assume there was
> also early use of the French-language Wikipedia project by French
> Canadians -- that would also help us here.
>
> Does anyone here have any thoughts about how we might document the
> (likely) fact that Canadians were engaged with Wikipedia early on?
>

> --Mike Godwin
> General Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation

You could look up old edits by IP address, perhaps by using Wikiscanner,
which reveals this from a college in ontario:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=6262470
http://samspade.org/whois/142.204.72.75

You could also look for old wikipedians in the list of canadians:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_Wikipedians
In a few moments, I'll try to coax some information out of the database
about that.

--
DCollins/ST47
Administrator, en.wikipedia.org
Re: First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
On Feb 18, 2008 1:58 PM, Dan Collins <en.wp.st47@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 1:37 PM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>

> > Dear folks,
> >
> > In order to pursue our trademark registration in Canada, we would like
> > to document the earliest uses of Wikipedia by Canadians. Our Canadian
> > staff members (Sue Gardner and Jay Walsh) believe the first Canadian
> > uses of Wikipedia date back near the origins of
> > Wikipedia itself. Considering that Wikipedia started in early 2001,
> > this should mean that by early 2002 there was significant Canadian
> > use of the English-language Wikipedia project. I assume there was
> > also early use of the French-language Wikipedia project by French
> > Canadians -- that would also help us here.
> >
> > Does anyone here have any thoughts about how we might document the
> > (likely) fact that Canadians were engaged with Wikipedia early on?
> >

> > --Mike Godwin
> > General Counsel
> > Wikimedia Foundation

> You could look up old edits by IP address, perhaps by using Wikiscanner,
> which reveals this from a college in ontario:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=prev&oldid=6262470
> http://samspade.org/whois/142.204.72.75
>
> You could also look for old wikipedians in the list of canadians:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_Wikipedians
> In a few moments, I'll try to coax some information out of the database
> about that.
>
> --
> DCollins/ST47
> Administrator, en.wikipedia.org
> Channel Operator, irc.freenode.net/#wikipedia
> Maintainer, Perlwikipedia module

Addendum: it seems the oldest edit by anyone on that list is
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Gradient&diff=prev&oldid=1069992
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Energy&diff=prev&oldid=1112570

--
DCollins/ST47
Re: First use/contribution by Canadians of Wikipedia [ In reply to ]
In a message dated 2/18/2008 1:59:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,