Mailing List Archive

STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet
Dear VNC List,

I'm writing with a question I've seen several people post on VNC message
boards but I've never seen resolved.

Here's the problem: I can successfully access my Desktop PC via VNC when I
connect from within my LAN (e.g. connecting via an internal IP address -
192.168.1.104 works). However I cannot access my Desktop PC when I try to
connect from outside the LAN (e.g. connecting via an external IP address
-71.105.67.xxx returns a "Failed to connect to server" message).

Here are some details about my configuration:

1. my ISP, Verizon, does not block VNC traffic. I've called their tech
support multiple times to confirm this and run tests.

2. My modem/router is an ActionTec GT704-WG, version 3. I've talked to
their tech support multiple times as well to confirm that VNC should work
and to run tests.

3. Port forwarding is working properly on the router. This is confirmed
when I connect via an internal IP address

4. Turning off the Windows firewall does not fix the problem

5. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002, Service
Pack 2 on the Desktop PC

6. Desktop PC has a static internal IP address

7. Remote access is enabled on the router

8. NETSTAT -AN shows that VNC ports (5800 and 5900) are listening
properly

9. This problem disappeared a week ago meaning I could access via an
external IP address for a few days but then the problem returned (!?).

10. Before installing the ActionTec modem router I had the same problem
with a Westell 6100 modem and Belkin router. Before the Westell 6100 I had
an old Westell DSL modem that allowed VNC traffic fine.

Any thoughts you may have would be most appreciated.

Signed,

Chris "Stumped and Shut Out" Swain

Chris Swain

Asst. Professor

Co-Director, EA Game Innovation Lab

Interactive Media Division

USC School of Cinematic Arts

http://interactive.usc.edu/research/games
Re: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Chris,

Change the Java Viewer Port also to 5900.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#firewall

Re: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
On Friday 02 March 2007 06:48, Chris Swain wrote:

> Here's the problem: I can successfully access my Desktop PC via VNC when I
> connect from within my LAN (e.g. connecting via an internal IP address -
> 192.168.1.104 works). However I cannot access my Desktop PC when I try to
> connect from outside the LAN (e.g. connecting via an external IP address
> -71.105.67.xxx returns a "Failed to connect to server" message).

Which means that your router and/or firewall configuration blocks the
connection.

> Here are some details about my configuration:
>
> 1. my ISP, Verizon, does not block VNC traffic. I've called their tech
> support multiple times to confirm this and run tests.
>
> 2. My modem/router is an ActionTec GT704-WG, version 3. I've talked to
> their tech support multiple times as well to confirm that VNC should work
> and to run tests.
>
> 3. Port forwarding is working properly on the router. This is confirmed
> when I connect via an internal IP address

No, it's not. Port forwarding on your LAN works (i.e. from 192.168.1.XXX to
192.168.1.YYY). This is the default setting on most/any router. Port
forwarding through your router from WAN most likely does not work.
Incidentally, this is what 'port forwarding' means these days. What do you
see when you telnet using a WAN machine to your VNC server IP address and
port?

> 4. Turning off the Windows firewall does not fix the problem

Good. This means that the attempt to connect fails before it even reaches
your WinXP box. If you are using the correct IP address, then the router
stops it.

> 5. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002, Service
> Pack 2 on the Desktop PC
>
> 6. Desktop PC has a static internal IP address

Good. Is the external IP address statically or dynamically allocated by your
ISP?

> 7. Remote access is enabled on the router

I am sorry - not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that you can access
your router's admin GUI from the WAN to administer it? I hope that you have
set an insanely long and difficult password.

> 8. NETSTAT -AN shows that VNC ports (5800 and 5900) are listening
> properly

Good, in all likelihood the VNC server is correctly set.

> 9. This problem disappeared a week ago meaning I could access via an
> external IP address for a few days but then the problem returned (!?).

Hmm. If that is so, then something must have changed. If you did not update
the firmware or changed the settings on your router, have you checked that
your external IP address is the same? Do you have a fixed internet IP
address, or a dynamically allocated one? Google for "what is my IP address".

> 10. Before installing the ActionTec modem router I had the same problem
> with a Westell 6100 modem and Belkin router. Before the Westell 6100 I had
> an old Westell DSL modem that allowed VNC traffic fine.

My guess from your excellently detailed symptoms above is that you will need
to set up port forwarding *correctly* at your router and use the appropriate
IP address. Check the FAQs on the Real VNC website. Guidance for
connections through a NAT router are discussed there and a link to a website
for setting up port forwarding for many different type of routers is
provided.

HTH.

PS. If you are using the free VNC server edition consider tunnelling the VNC
connection through a SSH tunnel for security purposes (CopSSH and PuTTY is
probably the easiest to set up). In either case, see if you can allow port
forwarding connections at your router from your client's IP address only, not
from the www. Ditto at your server WinXP software firewall.

Mick

Re: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Chris Swain wrote:

>Dear VNC List,
>

>I'm writing with a question I've seen several people post on VNC message
>boards but I've never seen resolved.
>

>Here's the problem: I can successfully access my Desktop PC via VNC when I
>connect from within my LAN (e.g. connecting via an internal IP address -
>192.168.1.104 works). However I cannot access my Desktop PC when I try to
>connect from outside the LAN (e.g. connecting via an external IP address
>-71.105.67.xxx returns a "Failed to connect to server" message).
>

>Here are some details about my configuration:
>
>1. my ISP, Verizon, does not block VNC traffic. I've called their tech
>support multiple times to confirm this and run tests.
>
>2. My modem/router is an ActionTec GT704-WG, version 3. I've talked to
>their tech support multiple times as well to confirm that VNC should work
>and to run tests.
>
>3. Port forwarding is working properly on the router. This is confirmed
>when I connect via an internal IP address
>
>4. Turning off the Windows firewall does not fix the problem
>
>5. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002, Service
>Pack 2 on the Desktop PC
>
>6. Desktop PC has a static internal IP address
>
>7. Remote access is enabled on the router
>
>8. NETSTAT -AN shows that VNC ports (5800 and 5900) are listening
>properly
>
>9. This problem disappeared a week ago meaning I could access via an
>external IP address for a few days but then the problem returned (!?).
>
>10. Before installing the ActionTec modem router I had the same problem
>with a Westell 6100 modem and Belkin router. Before the Westell 6100 I had
>an old Westell DSL modem that allowed VNC traffic fine.
>

>Any thoughts you may have would be most appreciated.
>

>Signed,
>

>Chris "Stumped and Shut Out" Swain

>Chris Swain
>
>Asst. Professor
>
>Co-Director, EA Game Innovation Lab
>
>Interactive Media Division
>
>USC School of Cinematic Arts
>
>http://interactive.usc.edu/research/games

you have an error in logic

<quote> 3. Port forwarding is working properly on the router. This is confirmed
when I connect via an internal IP address
</quote>

the port forwarding typically does not work from inside to inside

from outside you would point realvncviewer at publicip for the default port of 5900

or you could setup a vncviewer pointing to publicip:57900
and have the router do when public port = 57900 forward to insideip port 5900
to frustrate the scanning idiots

on the router firewall you will need to make a rule that says

if you see traffic going to port xxx forward it to insideip:yyy

for example if the firewall sees publicip:5900 forward it to insideip:5900

71.105.69.224:5900 -> 192.168.0.100:5900
Re: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Chris,

I hope your previous response resolved your problem. I know you mentionned
that you tried resolving this by turning off the Windows Firewall.
I had a similar problem to yours a while back. I had added a port in the
firewall (Control Panels -> Windows Firewall -> 'Exceptions' tab -> Add
Port...) and this allowed me to connect through the LAN but not from
outside. The problem was resolved when I also added the application to the
exeptions list (Control Panels -> Windows Firewall -> 'Exceptions' tab ->
Add Program... -> C:\Program Files\RealVNC\VNC4\winvnc4.exe)

Hope this helps too,

Jean-Louis
RE: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Thanks to all who offered advice on my VNC problem. I took the advice from
this list and resolved the problem by hard-resetting and then
re-reconfiguring port forwarding on my fussy Actiontec modem/router.

Two lessons learned:
1) People on this list really know what they are talking about
2) Actiontec Modem/Routers are crap

Thanks again to all.

CS

RE: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Hello Chris, et al

RE: http://www.mail-archive.com/vnc-list@realvnc.com/msg24978.html

I have the same problem Chris listed here, but I think I need a few more
specifics. What ports are needed to forward? I had this working fine on my
old router with cable internet, but this Actiontec is not very user
friendly. Anyway, do we have to forward 5500, 5800, and 5900? And did you
have to set it for tcp AND udp?

My setup is that I have two pc's that I need to access. (false IP's listed
here for reference)

Static IP from ISP 175.152.15.67
Internal Static IP's 100.25.15.61 & 100.25.15.62

Old Setup with Netgear Wireless Router
Port Forward: 5911 to 100.25.15.61:5911
PC1 VNC Server set to (*) Ports Main: 5911
Port Forward: 5912 to 100.25.15.62:5912
PC2 VNC Server set to (*) Ports Main: 5912

So VNC Viewer access from the WAN was simply 175.152.15.67:5911 or
175.152.15.67:5912
Worked great.

New Router: Actiontec GT704-WGv2

Current problem: VNC internally works fine. Right now, accessing from the
WAN, I can get a password prompt from VNC, it accepts my password, then the
screen goes black as it's 'loading' but never completes. It eventually times
out and disconnects. So I know I am close but don't have *everything* quite
right.

PC 1 - Static internal IP 100.25.15.61
VNC Server set to (*) Ports Main: 5911 Http: 5811
PC 2 - Static internal IP 100.25.15.62
VNC Server set to (*) Ports Main: 5912 Http: 5812

On the Actiontec, I have upgraded the firmware to 3.20.3.3.5.0.9.1.5

Under Security - Applications I have applied the following rules

PC1: 100.25.15.61
TCP Port Start: 5911 Port End: 5911 Port Map Start: 5911
TCP Port Start: 5811 Port End: 5811 Port Map Start: 5811

PC2: 100.25.15.62
TCP Port Start: 5912 Port End: 5912 Port Map Start: 5912
TCP Port Start: 5812 Port End: 5812 Port Map Start: 5812

I get the same result from each pc when I try to access from the WAN. I get
the password prompt, it accepts the password, then goes black as it tries to
load the desktop. Eventually it times out and disconnects. I know I'm
close...!

RE: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Hi Bruce,

After receiving good advice from this list that told me that my problems
were related to port forwarding I followed the directions on this site:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/GT704-WGv2/
VNC.htm

This site should answer your questions about ports 5500, 5800, 5900, tcp and
udp.

Hope this is of use.

Chris

_____

Re: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
That sounds like a MTU issue

RE: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Okay thanks, but how do I address the MTU problem? I've even tried
connecting at "MODEM [19-128Kbit/s]-64 Colors" with exactly the same result.
I get connected, the password is accepted, but I get stuck on "Please wait -
Initial screen loading..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bruce Sellnow
<bsellnow@mcdgmi.com>

RE: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
Hey Chris! Thanks!

I did locate that site early on, and I hadn't realized that I needed 5500. I
think I've since discovered that port 5500 is for 'host-initiated"
sessions...? Not sure about that part, but I always launch from the viewer
side, and I've never forwarded 5500 before so I've never had an issue.

The part that I don't understand is how the Actiontec is going to know which
local IP I'm trying to get to. They list
Port Start
Port End
Port Map Start
...but I don't know exactly how to use those three boxes. Everything I've
seen says to place the same numbers in all three boxes, so that's what I've
done. The port forwarding is on a slightly different screen.

This is what I want. Assume internal IPs of 1.2.3.4 and 1.2.3.5 and
external IP of 10.20.30.40

Access from outside the LAN to inside
10.20.30.40:5901 ==>> 1.2.3.4:5901
10.20.30.40.5902 ==>> 1.2.3.5:5902

So I have a rule for 5901 and 5801 and 5501 and assigned those all to PC1
Then I have a rule for 5902 and 5802 and 5502 and assigned those all to PC2
Again, I've entered the same number in all three boxes.

I've created all these 'rules' in the Actiontec, and I've assigned them to
each pc as indicated. Like I said, I *know* I'm really close because I get
the password prompt, it accepts the password, and then I get the black
screen "Please wait...Initial Screen loading..."

I just can't get PAST that point .. AARRGggghhhhh!!!!!! Somebody HELP
me!!!!!

: - )

Bruce Sellnow
<bsellnow@mcdgmi.com>

_____

Re: STUMPED - can connect via LAN but not via Internet [ In reply to ]
speedguide.net tcpanalyzer tcpoptimzer
broadbandreports.com tools drtcp

also you may want to change the rate limit the mouse setting