vnc viewer (running on windows xp), but I get an error:

Unable to connect to host: connection refused(10061). Which network
am I making it listening to, the private or public?
Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Error means that the remote port on the machine is closed. Try
port-forwarding your router and configuring your firewall. I assume you
have a NAT router (private ip is 192.168.*.*).
What router are you using, what firewall (for iptables, google "iptables
port forwarding" (without quotes), others I need to know what firewall
you have). If you don't use ftpd, set vnc to port 21 (ftp)

Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the prompt response.

I have VNC server to listen to 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback
interface only and not the public interface. Do I need to have the
VNC listen to the public interface as well, if so how?

[root@deep]# netstat -a
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
Stat
tcp 0 0 *:32770 *:*
LIST
EN
tcp 0 0 deep:5801 *:*
LIST
EN
tcp 0 0 deep:5901 *:*
LIST

Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Though my vnc server is 4.1 enterprise for windows, try configging it to
allow remote connections. I can't 'apt-get install vnc4server' on my
amd64 ubuntu server so I can't give you the specific commands :(
apt repository would be nice :)
(in /etc/apt/sources.list format) because I have an error trying to run
EE viewer 4.1 (libstdc++... error)
.deb file will also work (http link to download-page NOT as attachment)

Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Jana Nguyen napisal(a):

> I have VNC server to listen to 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback
> interface only and not the public interface. Do I need to have the
> VNC listen to the public interface as well, if so how?

It's obvious that any server must listen on an interface you want to connect
to.
If you want to connect to your machine from any other machine, then the
server has to listen on some interface other than 127.0.0.1. If it listens
only on loopback interface, then you will be able to connect only from your
own machine (which can be useful when you for example tunnel your VNC
connection through SSH, but not for "regular" connections).
As VNC server by default listens on *all* available interfaces, there's
nothing special to do to make it listen on other interfaces. You must have
done something to the server ;-) to make it listen on loopback only, so all
you have to do is undo that change.
Regards,
Jaroslaw Rafa
raj@ap.krakow.pl
--
Spam, wirusy, spyware... masz do6f? Jest alternatywa!
http://www.firefox.pl/ --- http://www.thunderbird.pl/
RE: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Jana,

Are you sure that you're specifying the correct IP address and port to VNC
Viewer? The port/display number will be displayed when you run the
"vncserver" command.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

RE: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Hi Jana,

Why have you restricted your VNC Server to only accept connections from the
local machine?

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Hi Wez,

We using ssh to tunnel VNC traffic. On the VNC server, I do:

vncserver -localhost

On the VNC viewer, I do the ssh tunneling via cygwin:

ssh -L 5902:localhost:5901 <vnc server ip>

Then I launch the VNC viewer and enter at the server prompt:
<vnc server hostname>:1

I then get connection error.

Thanks,
Jana

Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/06, Jaroslaw Rafa <raj@ap.krakow.pl> wrote:
> Jana Nguyen napisal(a):
> [Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> >
> > I have VNC server to listen to 127.0.0.1 which is the loopback
> > interface only and not the public interface. Do I need to have the
> > VNC listen to the public interface as well, if so how?
>
> It's obvious that any server must listen on an interface you want to connect
> to.
> If you want to connect to your machine from any other machine, then the
> server has to listen on some interface other than 127.0.0.1. If it listens
> only on loopback interface, then you will be able to connect only from your
> own machine (which can be useful when you for example tunnel your VNC
> connection through SSH, but not for "regular" connections).
> As VNC server by default listens on *all* available interfaces, there's
> nothing special to do to make it listen on other interfaces.

Now I've started the vncserver up by default, listening on *all"
available interfaces, but when
I do the SSH tunelling I get asked to enter a password at the VNC
viewer? Since I've already ssh tunelling into the vnc server, why at
the vnc viewer it's asking me for a password? Sometime ago, I believe
I did this by starting vnc server:

vncserver -localhost

Then did the SSH tunelling through vnc traffic, and it did not ask me
for a password at the vncviewer.

Thank you,
Jana

Thank you,
Jana
Re: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Jana Nguyen napisal(a):

> Now I've started the vncserver up by default, listening on *all"
> available interfaces, but when
> I do the SSH tunelling I get asked to enter a password at the VNC
> viewer? Since I've already ssh tunelling into the vnc server, why at
> the vnc viewer it's asking me for a password? Sometime ago, I believe

As far as I know, it is a standard behaviour of a VNC server to ask for
password upon connection. There is probably a command-line switch that
disables asking for password - check the documentation.
Regards,
Jaroslaw Rafa
raj@ap.krakow.pl
RE: Unable to connect to host (10061) [ In reply to ]
Jana,

You are attempting to connect to the VNC server computer directly, rather
than via the SSH tunnel port on the viewer machine. i.e. on the viewer
machine, enter localhost:2 in the Server field.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.